1.    #1  
    I've been having some strange problems with the PdaNet 600 program for my Treo...when the display shuts off, I get this message that pops up saying the Serial Port is in Use and the data connection halts until I either turn the power back on and click "OK", or some random amount of time passes and it clears itself. At that point data begins to flow again.

This problem, along with another I won't go into, has made me want to basically "start fresh". I assume the procedure to do this would be to do a hard reset of the treo, and then reinstall the apps I need.

However, when I do a hard reset and then HotSync, the HotSync restores all the apps.

What are the steps I should take to start clean? I basically want a Treo in its default, "factory" state, and then I want to install apps one by one, and see what might be causing this conflict. How do I prevent the HotSync from reinstalling everything, and is there a better way to do what I want to do than this?
    I've been thinking about doing the same thing - ever since I upgraded to the new 1.13 ATT firmware my treo hangs frequently, and every time it resets it resets twice - strange.
    The treo restores all the files in your backup directory after you do a hard reset. So my plan is:
    1) Create a temporary "oldbackup" directory, and move all my files from backup to oldbackup.
    2) Hard reset.
    3) Hotsync - this will update all my contacts/calendar/todo/built in stuff.
    4) Using the install tool, start installing apps in batches (3 or 4). After each batch, perform whatever test you want to see if the problem has come back.

Anyone else have any better ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiscer
    This problem, along with another I won't go into, has made me want to basically "start fresh". I assume the procedure to do this would be to do a hard reset of the treo, and then reinstall the apps I need.

However, when I do a hard reset and then HotSync, the HotSync restores all the apps.

What are the steps I should take to start clean? I basically want a Treo in its default, "factory" state, and then I want to install apps one by one, and see what might be causing this conflict. How do I prevent the HotSync from reinstalling everything, and is there a better way to do what I want to do than this?
    On your computer there is a backup folder within your palm directory that restores everything during a hotsync. (program files/palm/wiscer (if that is your hotsync name) that would be the name of the folder/backup.

My suggestion would be to move the backup folder somewhere else so that during hotsync, your palm wont be able to find it. Then use a program such as Pilot Install to install apps one by one. Hope this helps you out.
    ~ ScandaLous ~