1.    #1  
    Has no-one mentioned the new imacs yet ? I was thinking about buying a new emac as they seem very good value, especially the dvd combo one but I mught just hold off for a 17 inch new imac. Can't believe how compact they are..hope they don't turn out to be like the cube..
    Bla... I think Apple really lost an opportunity here. Why not integrated 802.11g, integrated TV tuner or PVR software? If they did, they could have really made a dent against Windows Media Desktops systems available. See JoJo's thread as an example fyi...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    No missed opportunity as far as can tell.

Apple was the one that created the wireless age. Nobody else came before Apple. They made it ubiquitous on the Mac front. They have their reasons for making this an optional add-on.

No offense to Jojo, but... Who wants to sit in an office chair to watch a movie? Not me. I'd much prefer to be sitting in a sofa in front of a large hi-rez HDTV, maybe like Apple's Cinema HD Display at 2560x1600 pixels (huge) and the gato box for these HD resolutions.

addition: I don't think it's fair that these people are all disappointed to discover that any DVD they burn is restricted to that machine. Can't take them to your friends house to play or give them away as gifts to the family at Christmas. How unfair. They are locked in to that one Microsoft Windows Multimedia PC.
    Last edited by archie; 09/03/2004 at 11:12 AM.
    i was never a fan of iMacs ... until now. that machine is definitely beautiful and while i fell in love in the PowerMac G5 a long time ago i've come to realize i'll never use it to it's full potential. the iMac G5 would be a nice compromise coming from a year old PB G4
    Truth is good, knowledge is power and it's the second mouse who gets the cheese
    Under the hood, the unit is miserable! Why a BTO option for BT?! This should be standard! 256 MB RAM?! That's pathetic!

Otherwise, I love the design: beautiful and functional!

Quote Originally Posted by ivyrose
    i was never a fan of iMacs ... until now. that machine is definitely beautiful and while i fell in love in the PowerMac G5 a long time ago i've come to realize i'll never use it to it's full potential. the iMac G5 would be a nice compromise coming from a year old PB G4
    Apple needs to hit price points like other vendors. RAM is cheap to add and would bump the 'list' price up a bit. BT would be nice but is not essential for a desktop user (they still have a power cord as a tether, and a keyboard and mouse tether would not add too much to the lack of mobility). We'll have to see what the market says...
  7.    #7  
    I agree with Archie, I've no need to watch TV or DVDS on my computer so that doesn't concern me at all. As for the memory, 256 is not a lot but memory is very cheap to buy at the moment so upgrading is easy and cost effective.
    I think it is a hot computer too. G5, compact, quiet - what more do you need!
    If Apple included BT and airport in every computer, this forum would be filled with people complaining they don't need them and would rather pay less for a basic Mac! But since they let you a-la-carte your setup, people are complaining there are too many options. There really *are* two Americas!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ebeale
    If Apple included BT and airport in every computer, this forum would be filled with people complaining they don't need them and would rather pay less for a basic Mac! But since they let you a-la-carte your setup, people are complaining there are too many options. There really *are* two Americas!
    good point
    I'm a student -- read limited real estate. Having an ATI All in wonder in my PC is a very very useful option. No need for a separate TV and PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Nguyen
    I'm a student -- read limited real estate. Having an ATI All in wonder in my PC is a very very useful option. No need for a separate TV and PC.
    Yeah, but how big is your PC? Plus, can you hear the TV with the PC on?
    The iMacs aren't for everybody, but I think they'll be nice, especially as dorm rooms, apartments, and cubicles seem to get smaller and smaller....

BT is no big deal, you can buy a BT doggle for real cheap nowadays, or buy the apple card for not a lot more. Wifi is only useful to those who use it, and there's no sense in forcing everyone to buy it on a desktop. I agree that should have included more ram, if only because a newbie user will think that the computer is slow when in actuality it just needs more ram. Ram is cheap, but the newbie user won't necessarily know enough to buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jposin
    Apple needs to hit price points like other vendors. RAM is cheap to add and would bump the 'list' price up a bit. BT would be nice but is not essential for a desktop user (they still have a power cord as a tether, and a keyboard and mouse tether would not add too much to the lack of mobility). We'll have to see what the market says...
    The new iMac has a base option for like $900 (base CD-ROM drive).

In addition to the Bluetooth option, there is also a $100 option that will get you Bluetooth installed along WITH a Bluetooth keyboard AND Bluetooth Mouse - no cords.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Nguyen
    Apple tried this about 12 or 13 years ago with the Mac TV (black all-in-one-unit). Pretty innovative at the time. You could watch and record TV while writing your term paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    You could watch and record TV while writing your term paper.
    Actually, maybe THAT would't be the best way to use it.