1.    #1  
    Okay, before anyone flames me, let me explain. I am a Palm/Treo 600 newbie AND in April I bought my Treo on eBay (my first and only auction – I was 6 months into a Sprint contract and did not qualify for any phone rebates – so I thought I was being smart – Ha!).

Well, I was having great luck with my Treo until two days ago, when the handset earpiece speaker stopped working!! It started “breaking up” during a conversation and then just went dead. The speakerphone speaker works and I can use the earbud through the headset jack (both of which are totally unacceptable).

Here’s my dilemma, because I didn’t buy it through Sprint (or any other service provider) or from PalmOne directly, is there anyway or anywhere for me to get the Treo repaired or replaced, or am I just screwed. I have tried to get a hold of the Seller, but am not hopeful that he will provide any relief (after 5 months).

The first place I looked was TreoCentral and I now realize that this is a pervasive problem. Fortunately, everyone that has had to replace the phone (some of you, multiple times) were smart enough to buy through a service provider.

Any thoughts, before I go back to my Samsung cell phone and swear off the Treo forever!

And if I go back to carrying a separate PDA, would any Palm OS fans defend the Tungsten C (I love thumbpad keyboards) or should I boycott Palm/PalmOne altogether (they made the defective Treo to begin with) and go to a PocketPC (no more 3rd party software to sync with Outlook)?
    Goto to the dialpad and dial: ##786

There you should see the warranty date for your Treo. If you Treo is less than one year old from that date, then it should still be covered under the original manufacture's warranty and you can go to your local Sprint store and ask for a replacement...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    Thank you for your kind reply. Wouldn't you know it, the warranty expired 02-10-04! But let's assume for the moment that I was still within the warranty period, even though I am a Sprint customer, would Sprint honor a warranty, when I bought it on eBay? They wouldn't have any sales records?
    mmmmm, the treo 600 was released October 03 (I should know, I bought one the day of my birthday!). It has a 1 year manufacturers warranty which is supported by sprint for sprint models. Therefore, how can ANY sprint Treo 600 be out of warranty yet!!!!

Just my 2 cents
    Quote Originally Posted by kasesq
    Thank you for your kind reply. Wouldn't you know it, the warranty expired 02-10-04! But let's assume for the moment that I was still within the warranty period, even though I am a Sprint customer, would Sprint honor a warranty, when I bought it on eBay? They wouldn't have any sales records?
    I'm sorry, but that's impossibe! If warranty expired on 2-10-04, that would mean the phone was released on 2-10-03 which cannot be true b/c the Treo600 wasn't even released by Sprint until oct/nov of last year! I'm pretty sure almost all Sprint Treo600's with exception to the very first ones released should still be under OEM warranty. Just go to the Sprint store and aks them to replace it imo and it should go ok...

As far as repairing it, I'm afraid you're out of luck. However there are some posters hear like newtreouser who can repair damaged Treos...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I'm sorry, but that's impossibe! If warranty expired on 2-10-04, that would mean the phone was released on 2-10-03 which cannot be true b/c the Treo600 wasn't even released by Sprint until oct/nov of last year! I'm pretty sure almost all Sprint Treo600's with exception to the very first ones released should still be under OEM warranty. Just go to the Sprint store and aks them to replace it imo and it should go ok...

As far as repairing it, I'm afraid you're out of luck. However there are some posters hear like newtreouser who can repair damaged Treos...
    Proving once again, that I am a newbie and a blockhead, you did say "If your Treo is less than one year old from that date" which means that the warranty expires on 2-10-05! Thanks.

Another newbie question "imo"?

Lastly, how do I contact "newtreouser" and can he/she repair the speaker?
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Goto to the dialpad and dial: ##786

There you should see the warranty date for your Treo. If you Treo is less than one year old from that date, then it should still be covered under the original manufacture's warranty and you can go to your local Sprint store and ask for a replacement...
    What's the equivalent for this on a Treo 600 GSM (Cingular). ##786 does not work. Thanks
    Convergence is so Cool!
    Old: Palm IIIc - VIIx, Sony Clie NX60, Motorola Startac,Clie TH55, Treo 600
    New: Treo 650, wow!
    Another newbie question "imo"?
    "in my opinion"
    Lastly, how do I contact "newtreouser" and can he/she repair the speaker?
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/member.php?u=19085

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaDan
    What's the equivalent for this on a Treo 600 GSM (Cingular). ##786 does not work. Thanks
    I believe it's either *# or #* followed by 786 for GSM Treos. Fyi there a whole bunch of dial commands besides this like ##377 for soft reset etc... DO a search to find the rest of them...

I'm pretty sure that Warranty Date doesn't mean when the warranty expires, but is a date from when the phone is first powered up or something. I just got a brand new replacement Treo and the "Warranty Date" on it is 08-01-2004, just a few weeks before Sprint gave it to me. (Side note: I had the microphone go out on me, and was fortunate that they had a new one in stock and they were replacing a refurb I got from lock/Line.)

Your phone probably should be covered by Palm's warranty, and their agreement with Sprint is that they handle warranty issues except for the first 14 days of any phones directly sold by them (at least that's how it was last October).

As your carrier, Sprint should be able to handle warranty issues no matter how you purchased the phone (I hope!).
    That date could be October 2, 2004. Much of the world reads that date as day, month, year. If 3-Oct-2004 is the earliest release date, 2-oct-2004 seems a likely warranty expiration.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaber
    I'm pretty sure that Warranty Date doesn't mean when the warranty expires, but is a date from when the phone is first powered up.
    You are correct!!
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    I purchased my Treo 600 from eBay approximately 9 months ago. Recently the phone malfunctioned - constantly search for signal (even in the Sprint store).

Sprint replaced the phone with a brand new one. I understand that they have the option to replace it with a refurbished one. I was lucky since they were out of refurb'd Treo 600's.

To be honest, I was quite surprised that they replaced it. I was expected that I would have to purchase a replacement. My experience with Sprint in the past has not been good.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdenley
    I purchased my Treo 600 from eBay approximately 9 months ago. Recently the phone malfunctioned - constantly search for signal (even in the Sprint store).

Sprint replaced the phone with a brand new one. I understand that they have the option to replace it with a refurbished one. I was lucky since they were out of refurb'd Treo 600's.

To be honest, I was quite surprised that they replaced it. I was expected that I would have to purchase a replacement. My experience with Sprint in the past has not been good.
    Thank you for holding out hope! I live in Florida, so needless to say, like the rest of Florida, I was preparing for and have been riding out Hurricane Frances. In an abundance of caution, I reactivated my trusty Sanyo 8100 flip phone. After Frances finishes chugging across the state, I will visit my Sprint store (ugggh!) and hope they will replace my Treo (hopefully with a new one).

As stated in one of the posts, less (said) is more. What did you tell your Sprint store?
    I had a similar problem speaker problem with my Treo. I purchased it through Treo Central, not Sprint directly. I called Palm One to describe the problem; they in turn referred me to Sprint. Sprint replaced the phone with no questions asked. I also got lucky with a new unit, not a refurb.
    And GO HAWKEYES!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by EPMiller
    And GO HAWKEYES!
    Ahhh, a fellow Hawks Fan! Since I am currently using my Treo as a PDA only, I have been experimenting with wallpapers and various button configurations.
    You may be interested in my "Hawkeye Helmet wallpaper" idea:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=57286

Thanks for the encouragement concerning getting a replacement phone from Sprint.
    Thank you for holding out hope! I live in Florida, so needless to say, like the rest of Florida, I was preparing for and have been riding out Hurricane Frances.
    Welcome to the Board and I trust you will not be affected by the Hurricane. Keep us posted and stay safe!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Yeah, here's going to be your problem.... Sprint warranties do not apply when ownership is transferred... When I got my Treo 600, I gave my father my relatively new N400, and we setup a new number under my mother's account (she gets a corporate AOL discount, so my monthly rate is knocked off by 25%). The warranty did not transfer to him, even though it was under the same account.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    Welcome to the Board and I trust you will not be affected by the Hurricane. Keep us posted and stay safe!
    Thank you. A quick update: I live in Southwest Florida, so we were affected more by Charley than Frances. Frances still produced 35 to 40 mph gusts and sporadic heavy rain - enough wind to knock over the trees that I propped back up after Charley - fortunately we didn't lose electricity this time. Now, we are waiting to see what Ivan is doing!!!!