Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i just returned my 7th treo 600. If the T650 crash and burns all the time i am going to return it, curse and complain, then probly buy it again. But thay gotta start making a solid system, i am sick of flickering screens PalmOne!!
    I dont think making "crap" is real high on Pa1mOne's list.

Msg. to poster, the post is obvious...
  3.    #3  
    Thank you...
    Thank you....
    I feel so much better !
    the build quality/qa on the Treo is atrocious. They are running a 40 percent defect rate...a complete embarassment. Even more pathetic given this a 'high-end' device.

I predict the 650 will be worse. Current issues plus BT will lots of complaining posts.
    And it's still 100 times better than Windows QA/build quality. Yet people still use it, even in 'high-end' devices. What's the difference?
    I have to say..I have been a long time Palm user...and the Treo 600 is the first Palm OS handheld that ever "crashed" on me. Also, the day a co-worker got his...it did not work right out of the box. I have been lucky..but I am still shocked by the occasional resets I get.

I have high hopes for the Treo 650. It will truly be a Palm product with their quality standards. I am fairly certain it will be a much more stable unit than the handsprind legacy stuff.
    Every third Nokia phone was returned to the shop within 6 months. This was last year.
    My wife and I each got a 600 in April. Mine has worked perfectly out of the box, only resetting when I install some shaky software. My wife's 600 had a bad GPRS module out of the box and had a bad echo on the phone part. We took it back from where we bought it (Spring Communications) and they swapped it for a new one that hasn't had any problems since. We both have the PalmOne versions and have been very pleased. My wife absolutely loves it over her old Nokia.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    And it's still 100 times better than Windows QA/build quality. Yet people still use it, even in 'high-end' devices. What's the difference?
    100x better?

Please share that crack pipe you're smoking with me.

I have owned several Windows PDA/Phones and they do not have as many hardware issues; I never had to return an iPaq 4 times because the power/regulator and battery were bad, or the screen went bad or the speaker buzzed.

I love the Treo, but bashing Windows PDA/Phones because PalmOne can't engineer or build the Treo properly is hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    I have to say..I have been a long time Palm user...and the Treo 600 is the first Palm OS handheld that ever "crashed" on me. Also, the day a co-worker got his...it did not work right out of the box. I have been lucky..but I am still shocked by the occasional resets I get.

I have high hopes for the Treo 650. It will truly be a Palm product with their quality standards. I am fairly certain it will be a much more stable unit than the handsprind legacy stuff.
    'Nuff Said. I've owned many Palm devices (from the Pilot through the Vx and Zires), and they never reset as much as the Treo does.

In fact, the Treo resets more than the Windows/PDA phones I have used. This is unfortunate, but true. I still stick the Treo and put up with it because of form factor, the keyboard, and the carrier/price for data.
    Quote Originally Posted by christine
    Every third Nokia phone was returned to the shop within 6 months. This was last year.
    Really? We must have gotten lucky then. Within the past year, none of the 600+ Nokias we use have gone back to the shop at all. Seem to work just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    100x better?

Please share that crack pipe you're smoking with me.

I have owned several Windows PDA/Phones and they do not have as many hardware issues; I never had to return an iPaq 4 times because the power/regulator and battery were bad, or the screen went bad or the speaker buzzed.

I love the Treo, but bashing Windows PDA/Phones because PalmOne can't engineer or build the Treo properly is hollow.
    No I was talking Windows like that you'd run on a desktop, i.e. 3.1, 95, 98 ME, 2000, XP. My point was centered in that the more bells and whistles you put in something, GENERALLY (not always) the more likely it is that one of the bells or whistles will fail. And on that side, I'm talking about the software, because that was original complaint. I believe that the speaker and battery are hardware problems, but I could be off (at least on the battery).

You have to remember to sort out what PalmOne does and what PalmSource does if you are comparing to Windows PDA/Phones (which I wasn't). And yes I know they weren't separate companies for the Treo 600 release, but they are different divisions. PalmOne could just as easy put a Windows PDA/Phone OS in their hardware and still manage to have terrible speaker or battery issues.
    I'm on my third unit, but, I'm not sure I would classify the first two as "crappy". I probably helped the "failures" along a little with a few drops and complained about things like camera / picture quality that really weren't defects so much as excuses to get a fresh unit. But, that said, I know quite a few people that have had to exchange their Treo 600 due to failures of some system or feature.

I don't have to reset my 600 any more or less than I do my HP iPAQ 2215 PPC. Considering all the software I shuttle on and off my unit for testing, I'm lucky I haven't had to do a hard reset to clear out errant code (which I'd probably do if I could track down all the software registration codes I need to repopulate the unit.)

I will share one insight I've had -- Treo 600s DO NOT PLAY WELL WITH GRAVITY! Actually, it's not so much the gravity as the sudden stop at the bottom of a fall that gets them. Standard mobile phones seem to me to be much more durable, although I had a Motorola Star Tec I owned literally shatter into pieces while browsing phones in a Verizon store one day -- needless to say, I had to buy a new unit that day. Considering what many of us Treowarriors ask these units to do both physically and in terms of software, I'm amazed there aren't more problems reported.

I really do hope the 650 stands-up better to use. It would be easier for the carriers and less draining on the supply chain for palmOne.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Mike Lohsl
    Mobile Evangelist

From The Mind Of Mike...
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    My old Treo 180 looks like a cheap child's toy compared to the 600. Also, remember the 600 was a Handspring product, and PalmOne will now have a chance to get the build quality right from day one.
    mine fell more times than a baby learning to walk. Like the babe, it's still pumpin.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    the build quality/qa on the Treo is atrocious. They are running a 40 percent defect rate...a complete embarassment. Even more pathetic given this a 'high-end' device.

I predict the 650 will be worse. Current issues plus BT will lots of complaining posts.
    I didn't know the failure rate was 40% ...do you have a link showing as much? If it is indeed at 40%, I don't know how they can stay in business or sell new models if they have to focus on replacing bad units. I can't imagine any company not making build quality an absolute priority if that's the case.
    You can't hold PalmOne responsible for the defect rate...they didn't design it or set up the manufacturing of it. On the 650...you will definately be able to blame them!
    Do you have proof of the 40% defect rate?
    Quote Originally Posted by RWerksman
    Do you have proof of the 40% defect rate?

I would have thought that such a high rate would have prompted some sort of recall or notice to have the unit checked.

Also, I get a kick out of comparisons to other Palm devices since this was mostly a Handspring design. When I first joined TreoCentral it was called Visor Central and I had 3 different Visor's replaced under warranty and have never had a Palm device replaced for faulty manufacture or Quality issues.

Even my Garmin iQue 3600, which Garmin did have problems, never got returned for the PDA portion.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    I've never had a problem with the PDA portion of any Handspring product. There was an issue with some of the phone components, but I'm not sure if that's Handspring's or their suppliers' faults.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast