1.    #1  
    Dear all,
    I just joined this forum. I am absolute new to the smartphone world and I just received a Treo 180. It has GPRS , Blazer is working fine but when I am trying to set up the email, I always receive the mentioned message. The SIM is OK and works with other phones.
    Can somebody help me please ? I noticed most of you have extensive experience.
    Thank you very much in advance.
  2. rch
    Heh I am new to the smartphone world myself and I ran into the same problem. Does your phone work at all? Does it find any networks?
    Also, check if you have GPRS update installed. Go to App launcher/Prefs/Network (on the top right). If you see GPRS there, then you have the update (which is good), but it also means that your CD is out of date and won't work by returning the aforementioned error.

Meanwhile, my phone actually works for both voice calls and GPRS. Does yours work?
    This is from Pa1mOne's knowledgebase:

How do I avoid the error "Setup cannot read your service provider's name from your SIM card. Do you want to try again?" when installing Palm Desktop for Treo?
    This error can occur when your SIM has not fully registered to the wireless network and you attempt a HotSync operation after configuring your Treo communicator for Internet access. It can also occur when there is a miscommunication between your Treo and the desktop computer, or when your System conduit is configured improperly.

Click here for larger image in new window.
    To return, close the new window.

Can you make a phone call?
    Try it. If you can't, your SIM may be damaged. Contact your mobile service provider for further assistance or a replacement SIM.

If you can make a phone call, your SIM is probably okay. Follow the steps below.

What to do: Configure Your Treo application is running
    If you're using the Configure Your Treo wizard, try these next steps. If you're not using this application when the error occurs, skip to the next section.

Upon seeing the error dialog, click "No" ("Do you want to try again").

Go back and make sure you have carefully completed all the steps in the configurator checklist (the screen you saw before you clicked "Next"). Most importantly, be sure to wait a full two minutes between turning on Wireless mode and performing a HotSync operation. This allows the SIM card in your smartphone to gather current network information, which is used by the wizard when you HotSync.

Attempt another HotSync operation.

If the HotSync operation succeeds, you have resolved the problem. Proceed through the Configure Your Treo application you were using when this error occurred.

If you see the same error message again, click on "No" in the error dialog box ("Do you want to try again"). Follow the next steps.

In the checklist (or elsewhere in the Configure Your Treo wizard), click "Cancel."

When asked if you really want to cancel, click "Yes."

Exit the Configure Your Treo wizard completely.

Restart the Configure Your Treo wizard. You can launch it by any of these methods:

Windows or Macintosh: Double-click on the Configure Your Treo icon (shortcut) on your desktop.
    Windows: From the Start menu, select Programs, then Handspring, then Configure Your Treo.
    Windows or Macintosh: Insert the Treo CD-ROM in the drive. When it starts automatically, navigate through the welcome and license agreement screens, and then select "I just want to configure my communicator for wireless data."

Carefully follow all the steps in the Configure Your Treo wizard again, including the two-minute wait between turning on Wireless mode and performing a HotSync operation.

What to do: Not running the configurator
    If the error occurs during installation of Palm Desktop and HotSync Manager (but you're not running the Configure Your Treo wizard), try these steps:

Install a third-party file utility such as FileZ by nosleep software which allows you to access hidden files and attributes.

Launch the FileZ application.

Tap the box for "View and Edit Files."

Locate the file CurrentCarrier.

Tap on the button for "Details."

At the top of the screen, tap the box for "Attributes."

Check the box for "Backup."

Select Done.

Perform a HotSync operation.

Didn't work?
    If you're still getting the error message, we have one more solution for you to try. We're going to ask you to make sure your System conduit is set properly.

Launch the HotSync Manager if it's not already running (click for instructions).

Check the System conduit. Make sure it is set to "Handheld overwrites desktop" (instructions for changing conduit settings).

If you were using the Configure Your Treo wizard, re-launch the configurator and follow the instructions again. If you weren't using the wizard, continue installing Palm Desktop and HotSync Manager, or just perform a HotSync operation.

Still getting the error message?
    If none of our remedies above was successful, we recommend that you contact product support for advanced solutions to this issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  4. rch
    If the HotSync operation succeeds, you have resolved the problem. Proceed through the Configure Your Treo application you were using when this error occurred.
    I don't quite get it. My HotSync operations work just fine... that is, it does not generate any errors that I am aware of. However, when I launch "Configure your Treo", it never gets past "Checking your wireless service provider" step.