1.    #1  
    Let me start out by saying I HATE COMCAST. Right, now that we got that over with, let me explain my problem. If you have Comcast internet then you know how difficult it is to send e-mail from a machine not on Comcast's network (or in my case device). In order to send through their SMTP server, you have to use SSL on port 465. So you can see my problem, Snappermail will let me select the port but not SSL. What are my options? Thanks in advance.
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    i use sprints smtp (smtp.sprintpcs.com) to send out messages.....since you have a sprint account just use it along with your sprint username....should work okay....comcast does suck
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintTreo600
    Let me start out by saying I HATE COMCAST. Right, now that we got that over with, let me explain my problem. If you have Comcast internet then you know how difficult it is to send e-mail from a machine not on Comcast's network (or in my case device). In order to send through their SMTP server, you have to use SSL on port 465. So you can see my problem, Snappermail will let me select the port but not SSL. What are my options? Thanks in advance.

Hoe are you using comcast through your treo 600. Usually one must use the service providers oujtbound server to send mail.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 505 -> Palm Vii-> Ipaq 3670 -> Nokia 6800 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Service Attws
    Upgrade to the Premier (Or is it Enterprise) edition and you'll get SSL capabilities.

Otherwise, use another SMTP server. I use my work email SMTP server.
    I am on Comcast and I have no problems at all sending email with either Snapper, ChatterEmail or the HSMail that came with the Treo.
    Same here!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    ditto... I'm om comcast and I use their smtp server to send email from my treo all the time. it uses the standard port 25.
  8.    #8  
    Okay, I configured the Sprint SMTP, however now I get the following error in my log.

START MANUAL: 9/3/04 11:53 pm
    SEND:
    ACCOUNT: COMCAST
    Authorising SMTP
    SMTP Rcpt To: command failed: 530
    5.7.1 Relaying not allowed
    HST600@dodgeit.com
    DURATION: 8
    END: 9/3/04 11:53 pm

Any ideas?

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    what version of snappermail are you using?.....and are you using your sprint vision pcs email username when you set up the account?
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outz
    ditto... I'm om comcast and I use their smtp server to send email from my treo all the time. it uses the standard port 25.
    What are the correct settings to do this? I have the Enterprise edition of SnapperMail, and when I tried, it didn't work so I must have a wrong setting somewhere.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    I suspect your problem sending is Sprint's propietary mail protocols. I can use my comcast account from anywhere for sending, and they still allow relaying which is REALLY nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintTreo600
    Okay, I configured the Sprint SMTP, however now I get the following error in my log.

START MANUAL: 9/3/04 11:53 pm
    SEND:
    ACCOUNT: COMCAST
    Authorising SMTP
    SMTP Rcpt To: command failed: 530
    5.7.1 Relaying not allowed
    HST600@dodgeit.com
    DURATION: 8
    END: 9/3/04 11:53 pm

Any ideas?
    Well it's saying "relaying not allowed" are you configuring the smtp server with your Comcast username/password? They require authentication via smtp in-order for you to pass mail through to their smtp server while off their network.
    Okay, I see a lot of people going back and forth on this and it seems that there are two camps: Those that can make it work and those that can't. To eliminate ambiguity, I'm going to spell out MY situation.

I'm in the camp that cannot make it work. I'm not convinced that it's a "settings" issue. Here is my situation:

- Sprint Treo 600 running SnapperMail Premier 1.9.2 (which has SSL capability).
    - POP3/SMTP Account on Comcast
    - POP3/SMTP Account on Verizon DSL
    - POP3/SMTP Account on a U.S. Army e-mail system
    - PC at work running Outlook (from a government-owned IP range)
    - PC at home running Outlook (on Comcast's IP range)

With the above:
    - I have configured SnapperMail to send and receive e-mail using Verizon's POP and SMTP servers (utilizing authenticated SMTP on port 25) without issue. Mail comes in and goes out from Verizon's servers. No relaying required.

- I've configured SnapperMail to use the Army's POP and SMTP servers (utilizing authenticated SMTP and SSL on a non-standard port) per the Army's requirements. This works with no prolems. No relaying required.

In both of those instances, the mail gets sent FROM the appropriate SMTP server and the recipient doesn't know it was sent originally from my Treo (unless I tell them).

- For Comcast, I've been forced to configure SnapperMail to use Sprint's SMTP server and set the Reply Address to my username@comcast.net address. (This is not ideal... On some e-mail clients, when the recipient receives a message they see a FROM address of username@sprintpcs.com on behalf of username@comcast.net) This looks terrible and this is also no good if I'm trying to subscribe to a service requiring e-mail verification.

When I attempt to use Comcast's SMTP server from my office PC, I can configure Outlook to use it without issue. I don't get "relaying" errors, etc. If I use the EXACT SAME SETTINGS on SnapperMail to talk to Comcast's SMTP server, it simply times out and refuses the connection.

So it appears that you can use Comcast's SMTP servers from outside of Comcast's network IF you are NOT trying access it from Sprint's IP range in the Washington, DC area. It's possible that those that have gotten it to work WITH Comcast's SMTP server are NOT in the Washington, DC area. The problem may be localized (for several locations).

So for the masses, those that HAVE gotten it to work with Comcast's SMTP servers FROM a Sprint Treo 600 using SnapperMail, what settings did you use? And where are you in the country? Location MAY make a big difference since some IP ranges may be blocked while others may not. I suspect that some of Sprint's IP ranges have been allowed by Comcast and others have not...and that those IP ranges are geographically distributed. Also, did you have to talk to anyone at Comcast to "enlighten" them that they've been blocking IP ranges from Sprint?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  14.    #14  
    My relaying issue is using the Sprint PCS server.