Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can it be done? Lets say you have a 1gig SD card...can you compress a full length movie to fit? Would the quality even be worth watching? Thoughts?
    Yes, full length movies are watchable converted, you don't need a gig to put a movie on it. Have many converted movies under 175M.
    Take a look at the TreoCentral home page, they currently have an article about this topic.
    I found mmplayer to be very unstable - what version should I use?
    How about battery life? Can I watch a 2hr movie on the Treo 600 without recharging?
    I read about this and was interested...gotta be honest...the experience was far form enjoyable. mmplayer was not very stable...and the processor of my Treo could not really keep up with the audio/frame rate of the the test video I had downloaded (from the mmplayer site). It was pretty choppy...and the screen on the Treo is not great to start with. It's great it can be done in theory..but practically speaking..the user experience isnt' there yet. Now when the ACE comes out with a better screen and faster processor..then it might be something to consider.
    I've had good results using MMPlayer after converting the movie to an appropriate size and frame rate using DrDivX. I prefer the look of Kinoma Player, but can't stand that it doesn't have the ability to bookmark a location.

Neither seems to have the ability of switching out of the program, and then going back to it and resuming playback where you left off. If someone has a decent player that does that, I'd gladly pay for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwbaker
    How about battery life? Can I watch a 2hr movie on the Treo 600 without recharging?
    Should be no problem, I watch during breaks and lunch times.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    I read about this and was interested...gotta be honest...the experience was far form enjoyable. mmplayer was not very stable...and the processor of my Treo could not really keep up with the audio/frame rate of the the test video I had downloaded (from the mmplayer site). It was pretty choppy...and the screen on the Treo is not great to start with. It's great it can be done in theory..but practically speaking..the user experience isnt' there yet. Now when the ACE comes out with a better screen and faster processor..then it might be something to consider.
    Hundreds of people are doing it, so something needs to be checked on your end.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaber
    I've had good results using MMPlayer after converting the movie to an appropriate size and frame rate using DrDivX. I prefer the look of Kinoma Player, but can't stand that it doesn't have the ability to bookmark a location.

Neither seems to have the ability of switching out of the program, and then going back to it and resuming playback where you left off. If someone has a decent player that does that, I'd gladly pay for it.
    Dr. DivX is the way to go, adjusting the settings it is a superior way to encode and it isn't program specific.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poryphyron
    I found mmplayer to be very unstable - what version should I use?
    V 0.2.12 is very stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    the experience was far form enjoyable. mmplayer was not very stable...and the processor of my Treo could not really keep up with the audio/frame rate of the the test video I had downloaded (from the mmplayer site). It was pretty choppy...and the screen on the Treo is not great to start with. It's great it can be done in theory..but practically speaking..the user experience isnt' there yet. Now when the ACE comes out with a better screen and faster processor..then it might be something to consider.
    What video settings were you using? I've had problems with some files recorded in some formats, just from foibles in the conversion. With the limited processor, mpeg4 is a real stretch and the decoding codecs appear to not be as tolerate to encoding settings as their desktop counterparts, nor as tolerant of higher bitrates...

I've been using PocketDivx & VirtualDub. PocketDivx makes the recompression (using virtualdub as a backend) absolutely trivial do to, but with xvid/vbr-mp3 source (as damned near every video file I have is encoded), upon re-encoding to anything, the audio invariably loses sync and makes all but the first few minutes of a movie unwatchable. I've tried to encode mpeg2 files off my replaytv like this as well, and they play great in WMP, but mmplayed freezes at what I suspect is the second keyframe. This happens in every file I try to encode off my replay... haven't had much time to play with it.
    Steve: Honestly, I don't know the video settings. I just downloaded mmPlayer and the Terminator 3 trailer posted on the mmPlayer site. I chose that one because it was encoded at 160 by 160. It was choppy and could not keep up.

Just wanted to try it out and see what the experience was like.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duandcc
    Can it be done? Lets say you have a 1gig SD card...can you compress a full length movie to fit? Would the quality even be worth watching? Thoughts?
    After reading through several other threads on this topic a couple weeks ago I decided to give it a go. I did the same thing as is described in the TC article. Time is money, and rather than mess around with the multi-step free method, I opted to pay the $30 for the easy conversion software.

My first test was "Office Space" (~90 min), using all the default settings (mono audio) in PocketDVD and picking 160x160 size it produced a 75MB .avi file. I watched that with no problems across several viewings while waiting in various lines.

I bought another 256M SD card for $30 after rebate and put both "Armageddon" (~150min, 124MB .avi) and "The Rookie" (~128min, 105MB) on. Then I was set for a plane ride from TX to CA. Watched one on the trip out and the other on the trip back with no major problems. The biggest hassle is all the other people checking it out saying how cool that is...

On my 550MHz PC it took about 4hrs to convert "Armageddon" from DVD to .avi. But it's really simple. I just pop it in overnight and it's done in the morning.

Here's my complaint list:
    • When on an airplane the volume level through headphones doesn't crank up enough to overcome the airplane noise for very quiet parts of a movie.
    • Reading small text (like credits) on screen is pretty much impossible at this resolution.
    • When starting a movie from the begining no issue, but when fast-forwarding the audio/visual can get out of sync. There is a feature that lets you manually adjust the synchronization.
    • Keyboard back-lights stay on all the time.

Default video playback is 15 frames/second, normal video is 24 f/s so it does not look as smooth as the real thing, but most of the time I don't notice enough to matter.

As far a battery life goes, I was shocked at how little it used. Across the 2.5 hour "Armageddon" viewing my battery only dropped somewhere between 10-15%! Disclaimer: I was on a plane, so wireless mode was off.

With regard to the T3 trailer someone mentioned earlier, I had trouble with that too. But I went for it anyway and am happy I did.

Good luck,
    ERic
    Last edited by ERicJ; 09/06/2004 at 02:59 PM.
    There's several factors to consider that can severely affect video playback on the Treo imo that have not been discussed here:

-Card speed: If you have a slow SD card, then you will not get good playback and will experience choppieness and lag. Same situation with Ptunes btw. Faster the card the batter.

-Resolution: The Treocentral article not withstanding, the best recording resolution imo is 120x160 for fluidity. From my experience, playback at 120x160 performs much better than 160x160...

-Framerate: max on the Treo should really be 15 fps imo. Anymore than that and you will not get good results imo.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    There's several factors to consider that can severely affect video playback on the Treo imo that have not been discussed here:

-Card speed: If you have a slow SD card, then you will not get good playback and will experience choppieness and lag. Same situation with Ptunes btw. Faster the card the batter.
    Do you know which cards (256kb or higher) that have high enough speeds to use for movies and music that will not affect the audio/video quality?

I'm a bit of a neophyte, so thanks for the help.
    Pretty much all the new "fast" cards have nearly identical speeds.
    Also, playing with it today, I discovered the problem with my encodings- too high a bitrate! Every file I've encoded thus far has garnered a "bitrate too high!" warning from my Treo. But the ones I encoded 3:4 29fps from my replay were higher bitrate than the wide-format 24fps from the movie files, heh. I re-encoded as a lower bitrate and 15fps and it helped Still gave a warning, but played!
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveFehr
    Still gave a warning, but played!
    Yeah, I always get that warning too. Select play anyway, and all is well for me.

ERic
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    Here's my complaint list:
    • When on an airplane the volume level through headphones doesn't crank up enough to overcome the airplane noise for very quiet parts of a movie.
    Gotta give myself an "RTFM" on that one.

In the default skin there is a "amp slider" which according to the manual:
    Quote Originally Posted by MMPlayer Manual
    The amp slider amplifies the audio. Some Palm devices have a weak audio output gain. This amplifier slider can be used to give such devices and additional volume boost. Note that the highest setting is very LOUD and you'll probably never need to nudge it very much. In fact, it's so powerful that the slider has a built-in safety catch, prohibiting a user from increasing it more than a little at a time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast