Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
  1.    #1  
    There is such rapid expansion of wifi provision at the moment that we are bound to be disappointed if it doesn't include wifi - even if we don't realise it at first.

    I will think seriously about whether to get a Treo 650 if it doesn't include wifi (or at least if the recent wifi card isn't immediately supported).

    If they don't include wifi it could be quite some time before they release another model that does include it. When I bought the Treo 600 a year ago, I stupidly bought it on the assumption that within a few months I'd be able to add a bluetooth card.

    I'm not going to make the same mistake twice. If wifi isn't included or immediately available as an add-on, then I'll look elsewhere (have read some interesting info about the MPx and the MDAIII.

    Wifi looks as though it's going to be big, and if we have to wait until Autumn 2005 for a Treo with wifi support Palm will have made a big mistake.
  2. #2  
    ditto
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

    Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
  3. #3  
    Ditto. WiFi was useful to me last year. It's more useful to me now. I don't want to imagine how useful it will be in 6 months. Lack of WiFi will be the new 160x160 screen resolution.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Ditto. WiFi was useful to me last year. It's more useful to me now. I don't want to imagine how useful it will be in 6 months. Lack of WiFi will be the new 160x160 screen resolution.
    I agree but is this P1 just trying to string us along to get us to buy the next iteration of the Treo? Yes IMO. I hate that.
  5. #5  
    not for me, I always bring my centrino laptop but havent using wi-fi much.
    but I agree that 1 year from now, the next treo after 650 should have wi-fi.
  6. #6  
    WiFi is a must NO for me, I need the battery life and I know how WiFi eats batteries. I don't even want the circuits in there for fear of leeching my precious electons!
  7. #7  
    I agree that Wi-fi is going to be big...it already is big. I use it both at home and at work. What I don't understand and hopefully someone can help me with is why will my cell phone need it? VoIP?

    I came to this site in May or April while researching the 600 for purchase and saw grumblings of a new version. I have been patiently waiting for the Treo 610/Ace/650 while using a Samsung A500 and will buy a new Treo as soon as it comes out with or without Wi-fi.

    Thanks
    Last edited by bobva6; 09/02/2004 at 11:34 AM.
  8. #8  
    wi-fi? thats exactly the point I'm making since joining this forum.

    the eternal nay-sayers in here who ignore wi-fi because of high costs and so on.

    but wi-fi is spreading like nothing else in the communication industry. remember how exclusive and relatively expensive internet first was? wi-fi in a year or two will cost peanuts - in many places, at least here in asia, its offered free anyway.

    no wi-fi capability of the 650 leads me to the mpx or ipaq, even though I'd prefer the P1 hardware.
  9. #9  
    I'm a Treo loyalist but I feel like a laggard, when my Treo
    600 doesn't have bluetooth when all others do have. PalmOne shouldn't
    make the same mistake -- Treo 650 shouldn't go on production without a
    WiFi. WiFi will matter in my next smartphone selection. Practically, I
    would like to be able to use my Treo 650 when everyone else is using
    theirs at airports hotspots, or just at nearest Starbucks.
  10. BigTex's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    #10  
    I am a heavy wifi user ONLY on my laptop. I bring that with me everywhere (in-fact I am using wi-fi to make this post.) I am happy to have it on my laptop but I do not need/want it on my treo. I want battrey life and cost/size savings.

    BigTex
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

    Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobva6
    I agree that Wi-fi is going to be big...it already is big. I use it both at home and at work. What I don't understand and hopefully someone can help me with is why will my cell phone need it? VoIP?
    Thanks
    Your cell phone shouldn't NEED wifi. That said, why wouldn't you want it. Why would you want your laptop or computer to have wifi? The reasons are largely the same. For many people, the Treo is a replacement for their laptop and not just a cellphone. If that's kind of a stretch for you consider that Tungsten C has wifi built in and a number of PocketPC PDA's. Those PDAs are not far removed from a Treo, except that a Treo has a different form factor and a cell radio in it. Other than that they all share colorful, touch screen, with expansive memory, ability to play MP3s, take pictures (in some cases), etc. I think the question is "why shouldn't you want the choice to use WiFi?"

    In my opinion VoIP would be great, but there would have to be programs to utilize it. I'm not sure if they exist (I'm sure gfunkmagic knows at least 4 ), but even without VoIP connection to the 'net and getting data back at a useful speed is always "a good thing"
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob600
    WiFi is a must NO for me, I need the battery life and I know how WiFi eats batteries. I don't even want the circuits in there for fear of leeching my precious electons!
    I'm if you fear losing precious electrons to Wi-Fi you are plain ignorant on the topic (sorry to be blunt). You should switch away from the Treo, because there are countless things like the PalmOS itself, IR, camera, etc. that assurredly strips electrons. Those will all strip more electrons than a switched off wi-fi. Plus, I don't think we were talking about built in wi-fi, just the ability to take a wi-fi SD card. There's no logic in the world for someone to be against that.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I'm if you fear losing precious electrons to Wi-Fi you are plain ignorant on the topic (sorry to be blunt). You should switch away from the Treo, because there are countless things like the PalmOS itself, IR, camera, etc. that assurredly strips electrons. Those will all strip more electrons than a switched off wi-fi. Plus, I don't think we were talking about built in wi-fi, just the ability to take a wi-fi SD card. There's no logic in the world for someone to be against that.
    That was a petty comment, did you not see the smiley face or are you just in a bad mood?

    Anyways, the original post was that about it being INCLUDED and if that didn't happen it must be immediately available as an addon...so I think I was right on.

    I have wifi on laptops and pda's and I'm quite aware of the drain they put on batteries. As an addon, fine...but I don't really want it included. I think that space would be better served by just about any other feature (battery, RAM, etc.)

    Oh, and I do switch off even beam recieve in an attempt to save more of my precious electrons.
  14.    #14  
    My situation is that I don't need or wish to carry a laptop around everywhere, but there are occasions when I would like internet access while out and about. I would expect to keep wifi switched off most of the time (presumably this wouldn't affect performance or battery life). It would also be a much faster means of syncing with your home computer. I suspect there would even be occasions where I'd look something up on my phone while watching TV rather than going to my desktop computer. In that situation you'd have high speed internet access for 'free' (rather than via GPRS).
  15. #15  
    I don't really feel the need for wifi on my treo, that is what vision is for. On my laptop is another story. If I did not have visions that would also be another story
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    _________________________________________
    I may not know, but I'll bet my phone does!
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob600
    That was a petty comment, did you not see the smiley face or are you just in a bad mood?

    Anyways, the original post was that about it being INCLUDED and if that didn't happen it must be immediately available as an addon...so I think I was right on.

    I have wifi on laptops and pda's and I'm quite aware of the drain they put on batteries. As an addon, fine...but I don't really want it included. I think that space would be better served by just about any other feature (battery, RAM, etc.)

    Oh, and I do switch off even beam recieve in an attempt to save more of my precious electrons.
    I didn't see the smiley face . The original post said "(or at least if the recent wifi card isn't immediately supported)" which means not just included but as an addon.

    I switch off beam receive as well, I just wanted to point out that wi-fi could work exactly the same way.

    Your point about using the space for something else is a valid one, provided that it takes up a lot of space. Those SD cards are fairly small and thin. I can't imagine you'd get 5 minutes more of battery with that space. As for more RAM, physical size doesn't come into play when they choose the amount to put in there. Plus it's been a year, I'm sure size of the RAM comes in a 64MB the same size. The reason we might not see 64MB is rumored to be that Palm has a bunch of 32MBs, or that they just might cost too much, or they aren't deemed necessary by Palm.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgarza
    I don't really feel the need for wifi on my treo, that is what vision is for. On my laptop is another story. If I did not have visions that would also be another story
    I believe Sprint sells a card for you laptop that will get you Vision. Perhaps you should pick that up instead of your wi-fi option.
  18. #18  
    I can live without wifi, and I can easily imagine why we're not getting it.

    While T-Mobile is fairly open about letting their customers use their bluetooth enabled phones as modems, the CDMA carriers in the US aren't. What does this come down to?

    They don't like giving the customers anything that they can't charge for. Wi-Fi is the free lunch which the providers don't want, and PalmOne knows this. Handspring knew it, for that matter. By keeping Wi-Fi off of the main unit, the Treo appeals to the carriers, and without them, there is no market, no profit, and in the end, no Treo.

    I'd love Wi-Fi on my Treo. It's my only PDA, and the ability to hop on the office LAN, VoIP or no VoIP, would be wonderful. However, without WPA support, I can't even use a WiFi device at the office or at home. As well it should be, since security is a key concern with wireless LANs.

    Sure, I want Wi-Fi. I just can't consider it a must when there's such a slim chance of getting it in a device which has to appeal to both the most generous and the stingiest carriers in the US. Now, if they can give me support for the SD WiFi card, I'll be happy.
  19. #19  
    Umm, Sprint (CDMA) has a big investment in wifi hotspots in the US. You'd think they'd either not invest in wifi or take advantage of their relationship with Palm/Handspring to strengthen that hold. I don't buy the argument that the cell carriers are holding it up anymore.

    I think everyone here would be relatively happy to have one of the 72 wifi SD cards work.
  20. #20  
    Can someone explain or discuss why the Palm One Wi-fi card on the link below will not run on the 600 and whether there's any way of knowing whether it will on the 650?

    http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/n/5234.html
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions