Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    no wifi on 650. too bad

BT 1.1 means no wifi.

could've done 1.2 and been all set, but short sight is the middle name.
    Yawn. If the 650 supports the P1 card, or if P1 suddenly announces that the 650 is WiFi-enabled, I'd say bring it on. Otherwise, nothing to lose sleep over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70
    Yawn. If the 650 supports the P1 card, or if P1 suddenly announces that the 650 is WiFi-enabled, I'd say bring it on. Otherwise, nothing to lose sleep over.
    It will work fine, as long as BT is turned off...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    Can someone explain or discuss why the Palm One Wi-fi card on the link below will not run on the 600 and whether there's any way of knowing whether it will on the 650?

http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/n/5234.html
    The wise-*** answer would be the part that it says "It is compatible only with the palmOne Zire 72 and Tungsten T3." The technical reason is one of either (or both) Palm won't write the necessary drivers for the Palm or that the Treo 600 doesn't have enough power in the SD slot to power the card. It's a pretty sore subject for many on this board.
    I believe Sprint sells a card for you laptop that will get you Vision. Perhaps you should pick that up instead of your wi-fi option.

I would, but they charge too much for that option. I used to use a t-mobile pc card for all my internet usage, I lived with it just fine, but the reception was bad at work.
    I just wonder if WiFi would be useful on the Treo 600. Right now, lots of CPU is lavished on rendering ("formatting"). Just because you are able to receive at much higher speeds does not mean that the system is capable of displaying it any faster, except possibly in text-only mode.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    WiFi is no big deal for me. Possibly nice to have, but I'd keep it off almost always; between battery drain and my use of VZW's wireless unlimited plan, I'm pretty okay.
    mikec wrote:
    It will work fine, as long as BT is turned off

Really? Everything I've read says Tungsten/Zire only. Is there an article mentioning this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70
    mikec wrote:
    It will work fine, as long as BT is turned off

Really? Everything I've read says Tungsten/Zire only. Is there an article mentioning this?

The article is the laws of physics.

BT and Wi-Fi share the same frequency. This leads to quite a bit of interference.

The BT 1.2 spec deals with this interference issue.
    However, as has been pointed out in previous posts, The 650 will use BT 1.1, which is an old spec, so it you try to used both, or even use BT headset around a Wi-Fi network, good luck.

This is such a blunder, I can't believe it. And you can't flash upgrade you way out of it.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    The article is the laws of physics.

BT and Wi-Fi share the same frequency. This leads to quite a bit of interference.

However, as has been pointed out in previous posts, The 650 will use BT 1.1, which is an old spec, so it you try to used both, or even use BT headset around a Wi-Fi network, good luck.

This is such a blunder, I can't believe it. And you can't flash upgrade you way out of it.
    Wow, that's a bit of an oversight. Particularly with computers like the new iMac G5 having both built in. Do most new products have Bluetooth 1.2 (such as the new iPaq and the MDAIII, MPx)?
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo__baggins
    Wow, that's a bit of an oversight. Particularly with computers like the new iMac G5 having both built in. Do most new products have Bluetooth 1.2 (such as the new iPaq and the MDAIII, MPx)?
    Not to defend PalmOne, but the real problem with smartphones is the development cycle seems to be 12-18 months longer than PDA's (design, testing, FCC approval, carrier approval, etc.). If this thing really launches in October, than means the feature set had to be nailed down this time last year - when they were launching the 600. Not the answer we want to hear - but haven't you noticed that almost every generation of smartphone so far has been almost a full generation BEHIND the specs of then current PDA's.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by celso
    I'm a Treo loyalist but I feel like a laggard, when my Treo
    600 doesn't have bluetooth when all others do have. PalmOne shouldn't
    make the same mistake -- Treo 650 shouldn't go on production without a
    WiFi. WiFi will matter in my next smartphone selection. Practically, I
    would like to be able to use my Treo 650 when everyone else is using
    theirs at airports hotspots, or just at nearest Starbucks.
    I bet most of these other people you see using PDAs can only work in hotspots, but you could work anywhere there is mobile phone coverage.

WiFi is great, but let's not lose sight of the fact that the Treo 600 (let alone the 650) is out there without real competition in many aspects. Before the 600 came out, many of us here proclaimed that 160x160 was stupid and would spell the early death of the Treo 600. Boy was that thinking wrong. The new Treo line has a lot going for it that even if it didn't have or support WiFi, it would still be a success.

I am positive that a model with WiFi will be out sooner or later, however.
    Last edited by silverado; 09/04/2004 at 06:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    [...]
    This sounds terrible! I would say this is a serious problem!!
    it is serious
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Before the 600 came out, many of us here proclaimed that 160x160 was stupid and would spell the early death of the Treo 600.

and if its 320 x 320...the only thing with greater resolution will be NOkia 9500, and that's so big its got more of everything. Period
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12