1.    #1  
    G'day. Though you guys might be able to help me out, my question being about an Treo and all...

I'm about to get the T600 from Orange, since they're practically giving it away. But then, just as I made myself confident that it was the right choice, the T650 popped up. The shiny screen is appealling, but not enough to justify the extra price. One thing that would is music over bluetooth. Is it a) possible to stream mp3s and other audio files over bluetooth to a headset typically used for handsfree speech? b) is it feasible, or will the headset battery die after 5 minutes? I'm not looking for hours of music, but between charges I'd probably hear up to 3-4 hours of play...

On a related note, can (on the T600) music be played 'loudly' via the speakerphone?

Many thanks
    F*SH
    Without going into a whole lot of detail, the Bluetooth standard has different "profiles" that define what services it supports. There are headset profiles, serial profiles, etc. There is a profile that provides stereo headphone capabilities, but it is reletively new compaired to the rest and not many devices support it.

Very little specific detail has surfaced about the Ace/650, so we don't know which profiles it will support. We can assume that it will, at minimum, support a headset profile so you can take advantage of the hands-free kits out there, and a serial profile so you can wirelessly sync to your desktop. I would find it highly doubtful that the Ace would support the multimedia profile needed for stereo headphones. It would be wonderful if I were wrong.

And on your other note, yes, you can play music out of the speakerphone. It ain't exactly high fidelity, though. It may also be possible that you can get "mono" music through a hands free headset using Bluetooth on the Ace. Again, too early to say, and it wouldn't be great quality if it did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane
    Without going into a whole lot of detail, the Bluetooth standard has different "profiles" that define what services it supports. There are headset profiles, serial profiles, etc. There is a profile that provides stereo headphone capabilities, but it is reletively new compaired to the rest and not many devices support it.

Very little specific detail has surfaced about the Ace/650, so we don't know which profiles it will support. We can assume that it will, at minimum, support a headset profile so you can take advantage of the hands-free kits out there, and a serial profile so you can wirelessly sync to your desktop. I would find it highly doubtful that the Ace would support the multimedia profile needed for stereo headphones. It would be wonderful if I were wrong.
    Are the profiles something that are software-upgradeable? That is, if the Treo comes out with say just the headset profile, could a stereo one be added later?
    "There has always been a tension in conservatism between those who favor more liberty and those who want more morality. But what's indisputable is that Bush's 'compassionate conservatism' is a move toward the latter - the use of the government to impose and subsidize certain morals over others. He is fusing big government liberalism with religious right moralism. It's the nanny-state with more cash." -- www.AndrewSullivan.com
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    I have yet to see a Bluetooth device with upgradable profiles.
    You need software, but the hardware needs to be compatible. Not all chipsets support all profiles. Until we know what chip the Treo uses, we won't know what it is capible of.