Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Great article on watching a DVD on the Treo. I'm going to have to try this at least for the neat factor if nothing else.

Is there any equivilent software to grab/compress the DVD using a Mac? If not, we can try running it in Virtual PC but I wonder how slow the compression will be?

p.s. originating this thread from my Treo so apologies in advance if there is a similar thread I missed on the topic
  2. gcs
    Hi,

You'll need three things:

A backup of a DVD you own
    - free sw at http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/mtr.html
    Software to resize the dvd backup
    - free sw at http://www.objectifmac.com/english/actu.php
    Software to play it on your Palm
    (MMPlayer)

Have fun!
    George
  3.    #3  
    Awesome, thanks!
  4.    #4  
    I can get it resized and encoded, transerred to the Treo and into MMPlayer's playlist. But I can't seem to get it to play.

What format and settings do you use on the encoder?
  5. gcs
    Hi,

My D-Vision settings are as follows:
    Video:
    Codec: Xvid
    Pass: 1-Pass
    Q/S: Best/Slow
    DVD: NTSC
    Videobitrate: 100
    Dimensions: 160X120 (for a 4:3 movie, I use 160X96 for a 16:9 movie)
    Keyframe interval: 25
    frames/sec: 14.96
    Audio:
    Codec: MP3
    Audio bitrate: 32
    Audio track 1
    MP3 bitrate: constant
    Channels: Mono (to save space!)
    Audio gain: 2 (varies, I've tried a bunch of diff settings)

That's it! I've been quite happy with MMPlayer, use it using the elliptical machine at the gym, on the T (aka subway), very cool!
    Hope this helps,
    George
    I tried to RIP a DVD last night. After running it through Macthe Ripper, it spit out several large files 3 or 4 if I remember correctly. I was able to run the first one through Dvision. How do you then combine them into 1 movie? Or do you have to have 4 seperate movie files?

thanks.
    Tony Ricciardi
    Owner
    www.MacSupport.com
  7. gcs
    Hi,
    When I use MacTheRipper, I usually extract only the main feature. I then open D-Vision 2, and select the resulting folder.
    I've always just ended up with one avi file per dvd...
    Hope this helps,
    George
    Thank you for the settings George! Works like a charm!

Cluemeister
    what is the average file size after D-Vision?
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    what is the average file size after D-Vision?
    I have an episode of South park (about 20 minutes) that is 23.8 megs.

Cluemeister
    The only problem I have so far is that the audio runs a little ahead of the video, about a one second spread. Is there a setting I can tweak to solve this problem?

Cluemeister
    can I use "Kinoma Producer and Player" (which I already own) after ripping with MacTheRipper
    http://www.kinoma.com
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
  13. gcs
    Hi,

I'm averaging about 120 Mb for 2 hour movies...

George
    I've installed D-Vision via the link above and have been testing the app using my CastAway DVD. However, after successfully ripping with Mactheripper I'm getting errors messages from D-Vision. Can anyone help?

Last login: Mon Sep 6 09:36:28 on ttyp1
    '/Applications/D-Vision 2.app/Contents/Resources/mencoder' '/Users/bill/Desktop/CASTAWAY_DTS Main Feature' -oac mp3lame -lameopts br=32:cbr:vol=0:mode=0 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=100:max_key_inteWelcome to Darwin!
    rval=25:me_quality=6 -vop scale=160:96,crop=720:480:0:0 -ofps 14.96 -zoom -sws 2 -o '/Users/bill/Desktop/castaway.avi'
    [localhost:~] bill% '/Applications/D-Vision 2.app/Contents/Resources/mencoder' '/Users/bill/Desktop/CASTAWAY_DTS Main Feature' -oac mp3lame -lameopts br=32:cbr:vol=0:mode=0 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=100:max_key_interval=25:me_quality=6 -vop scale=160:96,crop=720:480:0:0 -ofps 14.96 -zoom -sws 2 -o '/Users/bill/Desktop/castaway.avi'
    MEncoder dev-CVS-040718-22:22-3.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team

AltiVec found
    CPU: PowerPC
    Reading /Users/bill/.mplayer/codecs.conf: Can't open '/Users/bill/.mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
    Reading /usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: Can't open '/usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
    Using built-in default codecs.conf.
    File not found: 'frameno.avi'
    Failed to open frameno.avi
    Reading config file /Users/bill/.mplayer/mencoder: No such file or directory
    font: can't open file: /Users/bill/.mplayer/font/font.desc
    font: can't open file: /usr/local/share/mplayer/font/font.desc
    success: format: 0 data: 0x0 - 0x88
    Seek failed
    ============ Sorry, this file format is not recognized/supported =============
    === If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream, please contact the author! ===
    Cannot open demuxer.
    Exiting...
    Kinoma didn't work for me, it doesn't recognize .avi. I did a 131 minute movie in normal screen mode, and it was 131mb. So about 1MB per minute using George's settings above.

Then I realized it was the widescreen version! Four (overnight) hours gone on my G4/400 powerbook! But I don't have a card big enough to run that anyway. Nice drill, in case I ever get a smaller movie that I just *need* to watch on my Treo. Or a bigger card.
  16. gcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    The only problem I have so far is that the audio runs a little ahead of the video, about a one second spread. Is there a setting I can tweak to solve this problem?

Cluemeister
    Hi,

Start the movie playing, then press the power button (next to the email button) until you see the words "A/V Sync" appear. Then use the up and down on the d-pad to change the sync (it'll take a second or two to use the new settings, so be patient). I've had a few movies that I've had to set to 11 or 12 to get them to sync up.

Hope this helps,
    George
  17. gcs
    Quote Originally Posted by beejaybee
    However, after successfully ripping with Mactheripper I'm getting errors messages from D-Vision. Can anyone help?
    Hi,

Can you select the backed up folder with apple's DVD player and watch it ok? I've never seen this error before...

George
    Now I'm able to generate the AVI file but there is no audio. I've tested it on both the mac and on the treo. The video shows up fine but no audio. I've copied the settings above exactly. Any thoughts?
    George rocks. I'm starting a FAQ with all his great suggestions. For beejaybee, check to see if a smaller movie has the same problem. Maybe try extracting just one chapter and testing various audio settings? Let us know how it goes.
  20. gcs
    Quote Originally Posted by ebeale
    George rocks
    Hi,
    Thanks!
    George
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast