1.    #1  
    I've been forever trying to mate a passive high gain external antenna to the Treo 600 to pull in a signal in weak signal areas. This turned out to be an impossible task because of the lack of the right adapter cable. Today, I succeeded. I was able to get an additional 6 dbm (by reading RSSI value in the debug command ##33284) with a planar antenna. More design and testing is in the works. I hope to have a solution that I can offer to you soon.
    Outstanding
    Previous User of T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition, Now Using T-Mobile Treo 600, Firmware v3.05, Software v600-1.12-ROW, Palm OS v5.2.1, Hardware B, Handspring Phone v1.0
    Cool!! Keep us updated!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    wow
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Great news. Please post detailed plans on how you acheived this. I am going camping this weekend, and would love to have the ability to gain signal strength when I out in the wilderness.

-Sent via my Treo 600 and PDANet
    OUTSTANDING. Please keep us informed......
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 505 -> Palm Vii-> Ipaq 3670 -> Nokia 6800 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Service Attws
    Add me to the list of interested parties...sounds GREAT. Would love to know if this will work w/ my wife's Treo 300 as well.
    Excellent. This is a long-time Treo shortcoming that needs to be addressed.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    I've been forever trying to mate a passive high gain external antenna to the Treo 600 to pull in a signal in weak signal areas. This turned out to be an impossible task because of the lack of the right adapter cable. Today, I succeeded. I was able to get an additional 6 dbm (by reading RSSI value in the debug command ##33284) with a planar antenna. More design and testing is in the works. I hope to have a solution that I can offer to you soon.
    So how big an increase is 6 dbm? How many dbm do you get without your new antenna?
  10.    #10  
    At home, in the same spot, I was getting 95 dbm with the stock antenna. With the external planar antenna I was using I got 89 dbm. 6 dbm difference won't show up as more or less bars on your signal indicator. Only way to tell is the RSSI number or actual use. I have more testing to do. Just have to find time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    So how big an increase is 6 dbm? How many dbm do you get without your new antenna?
    Prob a dumb question, but would an external antenna for a CDMA unit be the same workable unit for a GSM phone? Aren't antennas based on frequency and amplitude and all that other stuff? Asking because newtreouser is a (sprint?) user and I am a GSM user.

-WC-
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    SE P1000? HTC MDA IV?
    I looked but could not find pictures of these?

The PocketPC OS is arguably the best choice over Palm, Symbian, and others so I see greater potential there. The bulk right now with Pocket PC phones particularly is annoying as hell. I really like the way the contacts can be looked up by typing first initial, last initial in my Palm Treo 600. I like the new Treo 650 but it's just as bulky as the Treo 600. I'm a fan of the flip style "IF" the lid saved some space like on regular phones. I don't know what can be done with this design but something has to give. I love my Treo 600 and previously loved my PocketPC Phone Edition but gosh it's just too damn bulky! One day they will figure out how to make "efficient use" of every available space. I can clip it to my belt without looking like a dork and it will be small enough for my pocket like other phones.
    Previous User of T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition, Now Using T-Mobile Treo 600, Firmware v3.05, Software v600-1.12-ROW, Palm OS v5.2.1, Hardware B, Handspring Phone v1.0
    no pictures yet, future models, there were some rumours that circulated about 6 weeks ago for the MDA 4, P1000 may be announced September 19

I'm not particularly faithful to any particular platform, all of them have some nice apps. UIQ has really prospered in the past 18 months and PPC has a lot of resources and corporate suppport behind it. Muffin Man said that 650 is supposed to have EDGE and if that is true, I am likely to stay with Palm, but I dunno, Palm might die in 2 years.
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    WOW - this really could be a godsend!

Definately interested in reading any further details... good luck with the project!

The hopes of many go with you ...
    *******Treo 600 on GSM Orange UK*******
    Firmware: 03.04
    Software: Treo600-1.12/1030/03...
    Hardware: B
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    Please contact me when you have a Treo 600 antenna available.
  16.    #16  
    See this thread for the latest.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...hlight=antenna

=AlPear5663]Please contact me when you have a Treo 600 antenna available.[/QUOTE]