Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamF
    This is probably a dumb question but here goes anyway: If you have a device like the Treo 600 that has wireless internet, why do you need Wi-Fi support? I've seen posts about using hotspots but if you can be on the internet from anywhere why the need for Wi-Fi?
    SPEED.

No doubt WiFi is extremely fast compared to Vision - my beef is to roll out EVDO or whatever's up their sleeve to deliver broadband to my phone so I don't need multiple standards.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by convbcuda
    This is the wrong way to do things. A private company like TMobile should do it and charge people who want the service. When I see adults acting like children, demanding that mommy and daddy governmnet pay for things for them, it really makes me sick.

Grow up and pay for your internet access. Government should stick to things that only government should do. Internet access is NOT one of them.

How do you think parents who send their kids to rathole Philly public schools are going to react to this?
    Haven't you heard the news? Americans now have a Constitutionally protected unalienable right to widely available free wireless broadband internet access. Thank you, 1st amendment! It makes ssense afterall with so much of today's communication occuring electronically how can you possibly expect people to exercise their Freedom of Speech rights without widespread free wifi coverage.
    Last edited by ghileman; 09/03/2004 at 03:16 PM.
    Off to iPhone land...
    #1 Philly Rocks!
    #2 It'll probably be a lot like Net Zero type services, lots of pop up ads an such.
    #3 Government = By the people FOR the people. (we're not giving out a Mercedes here)
    #4 Yes, probably have to register and it'll cost a couple bucks-but it will be there.
    #5 Yes, John Street has explaining to do for some stuff, especially when it has to do with anything connected to his brother, Milton. But, I thought politician=corrupt in some way at every level.
    #6 OFF TOPIC- I still can't believe John Street lived down his "The Brothers and Sisters are Running the City" Chant at the NAACP convention. Can only imagine if a white guy said " White Mans in Charge"!
    #7 OFF TOPIC - Ever notice how John Street very closely resembles the Aborigine guy that always tries to cook Bugs Bunny in the big pot?
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    Exactly what is it that "Government" should do? Schools , Police, Road Repair, Trash Removal are not free! It's something we all pay called taxes that provide these services. Trust me, the internet service will not be free either!
    Everything that you mentioned, except trash removal, are things that our tax dollars should pay for. In our neighborhood, you pick 1 of 2 private companies for trash removal.

With many cities, like Philly, having budget problems, this is a dumb idea. If you want something, you pay for it, but don't force everyone to pay for you to have something.

I don't have a problem with TMobile making Philly a giant WiFi Hotspot. If you want the service, then you pay for it. If you don't, then you don't pay for it.
    Do you think a city like Philly is doing it not to simply give away free internet but to promote a business atmosphere to maybe encourage companies to move/stay there or to encourage other companies to have their conventions, etc. there? This may just be a small step in getting into business owner's and potential technology worker's heads, "Hey Philly really is a technologically advanced city."
    personally i think wi-fi is a technology that is simply not quite ready for prime time yet though it's coming very close. witness the original versions of plug-and-play. i now have a wi-fi network in my home that includes 4 computers, a server, an x-box and an apple airport express. at this moment it is all working fine, but i have had several times where something (usually the airport express) stops working with the network for no apparent reason.

soon, but not quite yet, and i would hate to see cities spend a bunch of taxpayers's money and have it languish
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    it's going to be a hell of a long time, if ever, when free wifi is ubiquitous and we can actually make use of our devices.

no point to include wifi in the 650. nice to have, but just unnecessary on a smart phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by speclcajun
    #1 Philly Rocks!
    #5 Yes, John Street has explaining to do for some stuff, especially when it has to do with anything connected to his brother, Milton. But, I thought politician=corrupt in some way at every level.
    #6 OFF TOPIC- I still can't believe John Street lived down his "The Brothers and Sisters are Running the City" Chant at the NAACP convention. Can only imagine if a white guy said " White Mans in Charge"!
    Mayor Street is corrupt beyond words. I could go on and on. For an example, he got union backings in the last campaign where there were incidents of them beating up supporters of his rival on campaign day. And I find it uncomprehendable that he got re-elected after that "now the brother's and sisters are running the city" comment after his first election and was under a federal probe during the last election which actually helped him in the polls!! Too many people in Philly vote according to race or party affiliation. Street is corrupt, racist and a Nazi. It's an embarrassment to the city that he got re-elected. For Halloween I actually wore an orange prison jumpsuit, an afro and handed out re-election flyers as I introduced myself as John Street asking people to come out and vote.
    Last edited by Bob-C; 09/03/2004 at 03:42 PM. Reason: spelling
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamF
    Do you think a city like Philly is doing it not to simply give away free internet but to promote a business atmosphere to maybe encourage companies to move/stay there or to encourage other companies to have their conventions, etc. there? This may just be a small step in getting into business owner's and potential technology worker's heads, "Hey Philly really is a technologically advanced city."
    That's exactly what Street is doing. Philly went down in population in the last census and he is doing whatever he can think of to make it a more attractive city to live in or work in. He also gave a 10 year tax abatement to anyone who moved into a recently constructed house/condo.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    NOTHING is free!!! Some where, some how YOU pay for it. I whole heartedly agree with convbcuda. Keep the government the hell out of this type of thing. Doing something like this removes incentive from people to better their circumstances through HARD WORK instead of just letting the government spoon feed them. I'm tired of hearing that people "deserve" or they "have a right" to something. They only deserve it or have a right to it IF they can afford to pay for it. Besides, Wi-Fi isn't exactly an essential service that just has to be available to everyone.

Sorry for shouting but I'm seeing more and more of this "the government should provide" mentality in the US and it scares the hell out of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by convbcuda
    This is the wrong way to do things. A private company like TMobile should do it and charge people who want the service. When I see adults acting like children, demanding that mommy and daddy governmnet pay for things for them, it really makes me sick.

Grow up and pay for your internet access. Government should stick to things that only government should do. Internet access is NOT one of them.

How do you think parents who send their kids to rathole Philly public schools are going to react to this?
    I'd rather see the city pay for WIFI then to throw more money into public schools. They already throw enough money into the education system. Money is not the problem. The problem is mismanagement and improper parenting.

My mother works in one of these schools in a low income neighborhood and the stories she tells me make me sick. For example, the head of the Phila school district decided that from kindergarten through 2nd grade they would teach Spanish instead of English in the low income hispanic neighborhoods. My mother gets them in the following grade and guess what? They have no English skills! How do you expect these kids to flourish in a society that has English as the national language? Mismanagement. And then she sees kids in the third grade who come to school with switchblades or get arrested for selling drugs. Selling drugs you say? Well yes. Their parents make them sell it since juveniles don't serve prison time if caught and neither do they. Parenting.

When a politician says they will increase education funding - don't believe for a second it will improve anything. It's just easier for them to throw money at the public school system and make you believe it is improving than to actually get involved and fix the real issues causing the problems. That's what Bill Cosby was talking about at the DNC. I wish Bill Cosby would run for mayor of Philly or at least become head of the school district.

At least if the city provided WIFI for free then maybe the parents in low income neighborhoods who are actually trying could get their kids on the internet for educational purposes. So when you ask how parents of low income neighborhoods would react then I would have to say the ones who are trying would appreciate it.
    Jerusalem to Become World´s First WiFi City
    "Jerusalem rebuilt as a city that brings about connectivity" is a very rough translation of Psalm 122:3 - but it could be coming true, as modern-day city fathers prepare Jerusalem to become the first city in the world to enable full wireless connectivity to the internet.

The Municipality of Jerusalem, together with Intel and Compumat Computers, has embarked on a project to make Israel's capital the world's first wireless fidelity-enabled (WiFi) city, according to a Globes report. The organizers expect that within two years, users in most areas of the city will be able to surf the internet wirelessly. The WiFi connection will be free of charge throughout at least the first year. The WiFi transmitters installed throughout the city will enable an internet connection of up to 54 megabits per second (Mbps) at a distance of 1000-1600 feet, Globes reports.

The Jerusalem WiFi Project will be implemented in two stages. The first stage will be the installation of hot spots - where WiFi hardware is installed and user reception is optimal - at central points throughout the city. These will include Ben-Yehuda Street in downtown Jerusalem, the Hutzot HaYotzer artist quarter, the Nahalat Shiva neighborhood, Safra Square, the Malcha shopping mall, and Emek Refaim St. The second stage will see parks, schools, government offices and the Hebrew University on Mt. Scopus go wireless.

One new Jerusalemite ecstatic about the news is Natan Gesher, who carried his new Apple Powerbook with him when he arrived last Wednesday with 400 other North American immigrants on a Nefesh B'Nefesh Aliyah flight. "Before I arrived," he told INN's Ezra HaLevi, "I had friends scour the city for WiFi hot-spots. Wireless internet was actually the only thing between me and a perfect absorption. I'm overjoyed that the greatest city on earth has decided to get connected."
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    I'd rather see the city pay for WIFI then to throw more money into public schools. They already throw enough money into the education system. Money is not the problem. The problem is mismanagement and improper parenting.
    There's no question that money will not solve the school problems. Incompetant parents are the real problem.

If you think this will really cost "just" $10 million, you're fooling yourself. Cities like Philly don't have the money, and this is not something the government should do.
    Quote Originally Posted by yitzchakis1
    Jerusalem to Become World´s First WiFi City
    "Jerusalem rebuilt as a city that brings about connectivity" is a very rough translation of Psalm 122:3 - but it could be coming true, as modern-day city fathers prepare Jerusalem to become the first city in the world to enable full wireless connectivity to the internet.

The Municipality of Jerusalem, together with Intel and Compumat Computers, has embarked on a project to make Israel's capital the world's first wireless fidelity-enabled (WiFi) city, according to a Globes report. The organizers expect that within two years, users in most areas of the city will be able to surf the internet wirelessly. The WiFi connection will be free of charge throughout at least the first year. The WiFi transmitters installed throughout the city will enable an internet connection of up to 54 megabits per second (Mbps) at a distance of 1000-1600 feet, Globes reports.

The Jerusalem WiFi Project will be implemented in two stages. The first stage will be the installation of hot spots - where WiFi hardware is installed and user reception is optimal - at central points throughout the city. These will include Ben-Yehuda Street in downtown Jerusalem, the Hutzot HaYotzer artist quarter, the Nahalat Shiva neighborhood, Safra Square, the Malcha shopping mall, and Emek Refaim St. The second stage will see parks, schools, government offices and the Hebrew University on Mt. Scopus go wireless.

One new Jerusalemite ecstatic about the news is Natan Gesher, who carried his new Apple Powerbook with him when he arrived last Wednesday with 400 other North American immigrants on a Nefesh B'Nefesh Aliyah flight. "Before I arrived," he told INN's Ezra HaLevi, "I had friends scour the city for WiFi hot-spots. Wireless internet was actually the only thing between me and a perfect absorption. I'm overjoyed that the greatest city on earth has decided to get connected."
    Wow. This is great!

Now Hamas can keep in better contact and coordinate their attacks more efficiently all thanks to the Israeli government!
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    NOTHING is free!!! Some where, some how YOU pay for it. I whole heartedly agree with convbcuda. Keep the government the hell out of this type of thing. Doing something like this removes incentive from people to better their circumstances through HARD WORK instead of just letting the government spoon feed them. I'm tired of hearing that people "deserve" or they "have a right" to something. They only deserve it or have a right to it IF they can afford to pay for it. Besides, Wi-Fi isn't exactly an essential service that just has to be available to everyone.

Sorry for shouting but I'm seeing more and more of this "the government should provide" mentality in the US and it scares the hell out of me.
    I'm not saying it's free per-se. Yes the govt. has to shell out the money now but if it makes Philly a more attractive city for things like conventions and technology companies might that not BRING more money into the city? You gotta think of the big picture. I lived in RI for years and the city of Providence wasn't the most attractive city in the world. They then put up a convention center, a new mall, etc. Now people are flocking there, a huge RI corporation is moving their headquarters to downtown Providence in the next few months. I think it's good for business. Gotta spend money to make money.

Note: I do realize the mayor of Providence was corrupt and went to jail. The way the contracts were given out and the kickbacks were shady but in general the ideas were right.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12