Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'd like to say thanks to TreoCentral and Andrew Carton for the DVD to Treo 600 article. It's quick to read, easy to follow and answers most of the important questions. I've been kind of hold off on buying that 1 GB SD card because I had no use for it. Now, I'll need to pay for all that software, a 1 GB card and a clip on extended battery to boot!

My son has been bothering me for some time to help him convert some anime discs to SD for his Zodiac. I've used an application to convert films to PPC before with some marginal results. I hope the viewing is better on the Treo / Zodiac. The video and sound lagged each other and the files ended up being much bigger than promised.

Not that I'm really going to worry about it, but, is copying a DVD I own in this manner some sort of violation of the DRM in the US? The DVD converter software I originally bought for the PPC told me I couldn't use it in the US -- like that stopped me! After all, I was just making an archive copy that I happened to carry on portable flash media.

I'd like to hear of some success stories in using this method -- information like the viewing experience and the file size for a movie title would be nice.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Mike Lohsl
    Mobile Evangelist

From The Mind Of Mike...
    not a lawyer, but i believe so. if you break the encryption of any product, you are going against the Digital Millenium Act. this is why 123 Studios is out of business.

even though it is legal to make a copy of any media you own, for back up, you cant do so if it has encryption.

btw, I can wait to watch movies on the 650 and its 320x320 screen.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    n

btw, I can wait to watch movies on the 650 and its 320x320 screen.
    It will look great. I was playing around the other day converting some video for my Treo. Left some at higher resolution and played them on my wife's Zire 72. Who needs a portable DVD player
    I liked the article as well, but I am still hoping for someone to write a simple tutorial on how to encode AVI's and/or DVDs with freely available software. I was able to do it awhile back (forget which software I used), but it was really a nightmare and took better than a day. When I was done, it didn't look that great because of the 160x160 resolution and figured the whole exercise was a waste of time for the amount of time that I'd use it and the quality. With the Treo 650, it makes it more useful, but what would really push it over the edge is an easy explanation of how to do what Pocket-DVD Studio does with AVI's with free software (guess it might not work for DVDs as it might not have the encryption breaking stuff). I guess in the end I'll need to buy mmplayer anyway, since PalmOS hasn't seemed to put a video player into the mix yet.
    Palmgear.com gives you a 25% discount if you purchase 2 items or more totalling $25 or more. Just buy MMplayer and Pocket-DVD. I ended up paying bout $35 total for both. I have no regrets. Most conversion are done by just changing 1 or 2 settings and click and just let it record. I've done other conversion before as well but there are so many steps that it takes forever to record just one movie. I could've probably recorded 5 movies with Pocket DVD.
    I'm wondering, I have the MMPlayer / Pocketdvd set up discussed in the article. What settings are people using? I can't seem to get them dialed in right. Thanks in advance for help-
    Why can't one use Kinoma Producer to convert your favorite DVDs to liven up our Treos? Then, of course his article did not mention Kinoma Player as a medium to play DVDs on our Treos (It's free!). Am I missing something?
    Visor Deluxe (Green)>Treo 180g>Treo 600 (GSM)*>*Treo 650 (GSM)
    Quote Originally Posted by AfroTreo
    Why can't one use Kinoma Producer to convert your favorite DVDs to liven up our Treos? Then, of course his article did not mention Kinoma Player as a medium to play DVDs on our Treos (It's free!). Am I missing something?
    Have you done this? If so, perhaps you could relate the simple steps and resulting file sizes to the rest of us?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by superflyaepi
    I'm wondering, I have the MMPlayer / Pocketdvd set up discussed in the article. What settings are people using? I can't seem to get them dialed in right. Thanks in advance for help-

I Open DVD then I set the screen size to 160x120 set at 15 or 20 fps. I normally use 20 but if the audio is faster than the video after I record about 2 min of video then I change it to 15 fps. Audio output i always set at 22khz mono and volume about halfway. I noticed when I use stereo vs mono I can hear a very low screeching sound throughout the movie. After 2 min of recording I stop and play the converted file on Media Player. I've noticed that if it plays smooth on media player then it plays good on my Treo. If there was a delay in video on Media Player then I notice the same on my Treo. I dont touch the video quality. I let Pocket DVD pick it for me. if you change the audio output I noticed that video changes also on its own. So I figure Pocket DVD is changing it to what it thinks is best for the settings I chose.

With the above procedure I normally get great results. The only problem I've encounted so far is when the DVD is 2 channel audio I need to lower the volume output down. otherwise the sound plays loud and distorted on my Treo but still not out of sync. Most DVDs are 6 channels. This is shown on the top left of Pocket DVD when you do an Open DVD. Hope this helps.
  10.    #10  
    If you want to use Kinoma, you still need to rip the DVD to a video file on the PC. Then, you'll need to encode the ripped file using Kinoma Producer. As a two-step process, I'm sure it would take quite a bit of time to execute -- and, there would be some degradation of the audio and video as a result. But, heck, maybe I'll "take one for the team" and give it a try -- rip the same DVD using both and compare the results.

After all, it's just time and money now, isn't it?
    Mike Lohsl
    Mobile Evangelist

From The Mind Of Mike...
    aznmode, thanks for the info. What video kbps rate do you have set?
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Hey,

I followed the instructions, I think... for some reason I can not open the pocket dvd program. I downlaoded the one for palm and there is an icon on my desk top but that just seems to install it over and over again...any help would be greatly appeciated.
    What?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hest
    Hey,

I followed the instructions, I think... for some reason I can not open the pocket dvd program. I downlaoded the one for palm and there is an icon on my desk top but that just seems to install it over and over again...any help would be greatly appeciated.
    It may be that you're reopening the installation file. Of the two programs, Pocket-DVD dowloads as an .exe file, not a .zip, and you may have stored it right to the desktop. When I installed Pocket-DVD, it didn't put an icon on my desktop -- it's in my PROGRAMS menu.
    Mike Lohsl
    Mobile Evangelist

From The Mind Of Mike...
    Quote Originally Posted by superflyaepi
    aznmode, thanks for the info. What video kbps rate do you have set?

it varies from video to video. Usually between 75 - 90.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Thanks Mike. Somestimes we (I) overlook the simplest of solutions. Anyway, I can now run the pocket dvd program, but I can't seem to get MMPlayer to read the buf.tmp file on my T6. Is there were I use DIVx? More specifically even though I move the file to the card with a card reader the file doesn't apear when choose 'select' in MMPlayer... I think I am close to a break through here...just need a little help. Thanks.
    Last edited by Hest; 09/03/2004 at 05:24 PM.
    What?
    this thread has been good. i did the same thing about the download and
    someone else helped me think it through. finaly got pocket dvd installed,
    was able to open a dvd and start it. now i have a icon on my desktop
    window called pocketDVD-buf.tmp.

i dragged and dropped that on to my card reader memory card, then placed
    the memory card into the T6. but when
    i bring up mmplayer, and look up playlists, nothing shows up.

im with you, i feel like im so close i could be there. thanks everyone for
    the help im almost there.

what am i missing?

rbatsun - out
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Make sure you format the card first in your Treo. Then do the transfer. Your video file should show up.
    i think it is, because i do have one mp3 file on it to play with
    the ptunes.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Yep my card is formtted, I've used it before... is everyone else who got it to work using buf.tmp file? Or is this where I convert it to something else.
    What?
  20. ajg
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Sorry if this was covered...do you need an Ultra SD card to make this work, or is a standard SD card sufficient?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast