Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    I'm coming to the end of my service contract and thinking of switching to orange (UK). They are practically giving away the treo 600 compared to prices in the US (Free with contacts over 25/month (45USD) or 49.99 (90USD) with cheaper contracts). This is a fraction of the price of comparable windows mobile based smartphones. However, not having bluetooth would bug me and my current clie has a 320x320 screen - is it horribly annoying going back to a 160x160 screen (I've never had a pda with such a low res)? My main use of the clie is appointments and e-books, along with the odd game.

    Should I wait or go with the great deal currently on offer? I've no way of knowing if the price of the 650 will be comparable when/if orange UK pick it up. My other option is a new BT phone (such as the moto v500 - free) and pda, a combo which I've found to work pretty well so far.
    Last edited by drbob; 09/01/2004 at 02:59 PM.
    drbob
  2. #2  
    Yes, yes, and yes. I am on my 4th Treo 600, and while it's fun to get a brand new scratch free unit every few months it can also be a real pain to be without a phone for days at a time. One would hope the 650 will resolve most of the terminal illnesses found in the 600. Plus there's all the new features... I think it's a no-brainer unless you are getting the 600 dirt cheap, don't care about 650 upgrades, and you have a replacement plan that will cover your **** when the 600 dies (and it will).
  3. #3  
    I sink you sould wait.
  4. #4  
    I'm gonna wait... making do with my Treo 300, I will hang on until the GSM unlocked T650 is available.
    Best regards,
    Efe Cem ELCI
  5. #5  
    I've got 2 months to go on my contract too. Orange were relatively quick last year getting the treo 600 out in comparison to other providers. In my view Palmone won't bring the phone out until people can upgrade which means late October at the earlies. The online providers are bound to offer better deals than the high st stores as they did last year when it first came out so I'll just shop around again. My only concern is if Orange decide not to stock the new treo 650, has it been a big seller for them ??
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by murrayalex
    I've got 2 months to go on my contract too. Orange were relatively quick last year getting the treo 600 out in comparison to other providers. In my view Palmone won't bring the phone out until people can upgrade which means late October at the earlies. The online providers are bound to offer better deals than the high st stores as they did last year when it first came out so I'll just shop around again.
    I got my 600 in October last year from smalltalk for 20. To get this price I was locked into a 50 per month plan for four months. I subsequently changed to a 30 per month plan so I reckon the total cost of the handset to be 100. As you say, there will probably be similar deals this time around.

    Quote Originally Posted by murrayalex
    My only concern is if Orange decide not to stock the new treo 650, has it been a big seller for them ??
    FWIW, the screen on the phone in this picture posted by The Muffin Man seems to have 'Orange' in the top left corner where the carrier's name goes:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/at...achmentid=3716
  7. #7  
    Similar for me. I got mine for about 70 on a 35 per month contract, which after 4 months I changed down to a 25 per month contract. That was last October when the phone had just been released.

    I think that the better screen and bluetooth will make the 650 MUCH more useful. The screen resolution is too low for things like web browsing or even a decent view of the calendar.

    I have even been considering selling my Treo 600 before the prices drop too much on eBay, and going back to using my T68i for a few months. That's how little I value the Treo 600. I can see the potential - and hopefully the 650 will at last provide what I want.
  8. #8  
    This thread is a good reason why Palm wants to keep all the information about the Treo 650 under wraps as long as possible. If these people didn't know about the Treo 650 then they'd probably have bought the Treo 600 at full price, and then maybe upgraded to the Treo 650 for additional money. Now they'll either pick up the Treo 650 at full price (and Palm only gets paid once), they'll pick up the Treo 600 at reduced price (when the 650 comes out), or they'll wait until the Treo 650 and then find that another phone came out that suits them better and not buy from Palm at all. All cases are a loss for Palm.

    And yeah, I feel bad for people buying Treo 600s right before the Treo 650s come out, but when do you draw the line of reducing the price? Do you reduce 1 month before, 3 months before, 6 months before? Who knows. Someone is always going to buy something before the price drop and get upset. It happens to me often enough and I generally put in the research so that it doesn't.
  9. #9  
    Oh well, too late, the news it out, so they might as well just go ahead and announce it!
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    This thread is a good reason why Palm wants to keep all the information about the Treo 650 under wraps as long as possible. If these people didn't know about the Treo 650 then they'd probably have bought the Treo 600 at full price, and then maybe upgraded to the Treo 650 for additional money.
    Possibly, but the OP (drbob) was considering Orange UK and, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $only$ $way$ $to$ '$upgrade$' $would$ $be$ $to$ $take$ $out$ $separate$ $contract$ $to$ $get$ $the$ $650$. $In$ $this$ $scenario$ $he$'$d$ $have$ $two$ $12$-$month$ $contracts$ $running$ $at$ $the$ $same$ $time$ $and$ $be$ $paying$ $for$ $both$. $drbob$ $might$ $be$ $willing$ $to$ $do$ $this$, $but$ $I$ $doubt$ $it$, $and$ $I$ $doubt$ $that$ $most$ $people$ $would$. $It$'$s$ $more$ $likely$, $I$ $think$, $that$ $anyone$ $buying$ $a$ $600$ $now$ $would$ $wait$ $for$ $12$ $months$ $until$ $the$ $contract$ $can$ $be$ $cancelled$, $possibly$ $spending$ $some$ $time$ $annoyed$ $that$ $s$/$he$ $didn$'$t$ $have$ $a$ $650$.

    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Now they'll either pick up the Treo 650 at full price (and Palm only gets paid once), they'll pick up the Treo 600 at reduced price (when the 650 comes out), or they'll wait until the Treo 650 and then find that another phone came out that suits them better and not buy from Palm at all. All cases are a loss for Palm.
    Not if the scenario I've described above is correct. It could be a loss for Orange if they got stuck with 600s that they've already bought from Palm but can't sell to customers, all of whom want the 650. Even this seems unlikely though - the 600 is already free on some contracts, the 650 won't be free when it's released, and there will always be those for whom price is the key factor.

    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    And yeah, I feel bad for people buying Treo 600s right before the Treo 650s come out
    Me too, which is why I posted earlier in this thread and tried to provide some relevant advice.

Posting Permissions