1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I was wondering if you can help me with my problem. I have installed PocketTunes and tried playing an mp3 with my headset attached. The song played fine except that the sound was coming out of the back of my Treo 600 (from the internal speaker). Initially I thought it was pocket tunes so I installed aero player and the same thing happened. The sound was still coming out of the Treo's speaker.

Then I thought it was the 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter that was the problem. I replaced it. The same thing is happening. I even tried with the handsfree that came along with my treo with no luck.

I also did a hard reset and just installed pocket tunes to see if the problem was a conflict with one of my installed applications. Still no joy.

I have been using KOSS and Sony earbuds together with the 2.5 mm adapter.

Have any of you guys had this problem? Can you help me out?
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil
    Hi all,

I was wondering if you can help me with my problem. I have installed PocketTunes and tried playing an mp3 with my headset attached. The song played fine except that the sound was coming out of the back of my Treo 600 (from the internal speaker). Initially I thought it was pocket tunes so I installed aero player and the same thing happened. The sound was still coming out of the Treo's speaker.

Then I thought it was the 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter that was the problem. I replaced it. The same thing is happening. I even tried with the handsfree that came along with my treo with no luck.

I also did a hard reset and just installed pocket tunes to see if the problem was a conflict with one of my installed applications. Still no joy.

I had that problem, too. I discovered that some headphones don't work with the Treo. If the headphone isn't compatible, then the sound defaults to the the internal speaker. (Alas, my Sony noise-cancelling earphones don't work with the Treo 600.)
  3.    #3  
    But the headphones are connected to the 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter. This means it's the adapter that is not working. Any adapter out there that works?

The funny thing is when I make or receive a call I can hear from my headset. It's only when I play mp3s.
    Last edited by daredevil; 08/31/2004 at 07:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I'm not 100% certain, but it sounds like you need a Treo 600 specific adapter which contains a resistor in the circuit, this switches the Treo into 'headphone mode'... where did you get your adapters?

Randy
    But the headphones are connected to the 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter. This means it's the adapter that is not working. Any adapter out there that works?

The funny thing is when I make or receive a call I can hear from my headset. It's only when I play mp3s.

where did u get this adapter from?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  6.    #6  
    One came from Brando (http://shop.brando.com.hk/headjackconverter.php) and another one from a local electronics shop. Both are flush with the receptacle.
    I have both Koss and Sony headsets, they both work with my Treo. I have yet to try a headset that did not work. I've tried my ipOd headset and a number of cheapies and they all worked.

If you bought your adapter from Radio Shack, that could be the problem. Also make sure your headset is pushed in all the way into the adapter. I bought my adapter from PalmOne and I understand this is also available at TreoCentral store.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    daredevil, look at the treocentral store and buy the treo specific headset adapter. it is also cheaper than the one you bought.
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
  9.    #9  
    Thanks. I'll give that a go. But with the shipping cost to Australia I think I'll get a local one.

when I think about it, this is really not a big issue anymore. I have a Creative Jukebox Zen for my MP3s with amazing sound. But it's very annoying that I can't do this at the moment at times when I don't have my jukebox with me. I feel that my Treo will be complete when I get this to work.
    palmone sells it too. i am sure they have a palmone outlet in australia
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    It could be the adapter...but most likely it's an impedance issue (with either the adapter or the headphones). The Treo...through the Adapter is not sensing that there are headphones connected and is playing sound out the speaker as a result. There are quite a few threads on this and solutions...just do a search.

But I agree you will have the best luck with the Palm adapter...
    gee, i'm using the original treo earpiece that came in the box. it should work shouldn't it?

Thanks,
    WH
    You also have to pay attention to the impedance of the headphones. Many of the nicer headphones have to high of an impedance to work with the treo. The solution is to get a splitter and put something like the earpiece that comes with the treo .
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

woonhong, no the Treo earpiece that came with your phone will NOT play audio from PTunes. Actually it COULD do it if you hold the button on the cord in.

The problem is impedance.
    The Treo uses line impedance from the audio connector to know when to shift between stereo output mode or mono output/microphone input mode.
    The included earpiece has a microphone built in and a button. This device does not have enough impedance to tell the Treo to switch into Stereo mode.
    This is intentional.
    The Treo audio connector only has three pins. One pin is ground, one pin is for one audio channel out (the left channle pin I believe) and one is a combination for the other audio channel out or as a microphone input.
    When your headset is connected there is low impedance so the Treo knows that it should work in headset mode allowing one pin to work as a microphone input and the other for audio output from the phone. While in this mode any other system sounds such as music from PTunes is directed to the internal speaker of the Treo. When you push the button on the headset it temporarily changes the impedance on the line and the Treo can interpret this as a signal to do something. If you happen to have a call coming in the Treo watches for an increase in impedance and if it sees it then it knows it is a signal to answer the call. During a call if the Treo sees that temporary increase in impedance it interprets it as a signal to hang up the call. This is how the handsfree headset works to answer/hangup the call without having to reach for the Treo.
    NOW, if the Treo sees a constant high impedance on the line it knows that it should be in stereo mode for output and it changes the microphone input pin to work as the second audio output channel. Headphones typically have enough impedance to automatically cause this switch to occur which is what the Treo is relying on. It has nothing to do with the adaptor but with the nature of the impedance of the device you are connecting.
    Some high end headphones have too low an impedance to cause the Treo to switch modes. This happens with some noise cancelling headphones and very often with any amplifier such as amplified headphones or amplified speakers, etc.
    At the risk of making things more confusing. If you have stereo headphones connected (or are playing your music through your car with a car audio adaptor or similar setup) then you would be getting stereo output from the Treo and the internal speaker is disabled. BUT, if you get an incoming call while in this mode, the Treo is smart enough to know that it is in stereo mode so there is no microphone connected for use from the external connector and it switches to using the microphone on the Treo itself.

The Treo earpiece button increases the impedance while you are pressing it.
    As a result, if you hold it in the Treo is fooled into thinking it should be in stereo mode and you will get the music through the earpiece. Once you release that button it will switch back to headset mode.

Here is how I believe it all works.
    Stereo mode
    Audio comes out through external audio connector.
    Internal speaker disabled.
    Internal Microphone Enabled.

Headset mode
    Phone audio comes through headset.
    Microphone input comes through headset.
    Internal microphone disabled.
    Internal speaker plays non-phone sounds.

No connection to audio connector
    Phone audio comes through small earpiece on Treo unless in speakerphone mode.
    Internal microphone used.

One important note to make. Many people have found that non-Treo adaptors do not quite fit all the way into the audio jack. The Treo connector is slim at the plastic base so that it fits into small recess on the bottom of the Treo. Many non-Treo 2.5 to 3.5mm adaptors are wider and the plastic case of the Treo prevents them from pushing in all the way and make the proper connection. Many people have shaved down the plastic of their adaptor in order to allow it to fit into the Treo and have it work.

Other than the adaptor being designed to fit into the recessed jack of the Treo there is no difference between the Treo adaptor and one you might pick up at Radio Shack. There is no circuitry or resistance beyond the normal resistance of the conductive materials that make the connections.

Quote Originally Posted by woonhong
    gee, i'm using the original treo earpiece that came in the box. it should work shouldn't it?

Thanks,
    WH
    Hi Nite_owl,

Thanks for the very detailed explaination. i actually found my answer as well after posting the question, but u really made it clearer thanks again.

WH
    Your welcome.
    I did a lot of reading on this site in order to piece out the operation myself.
    If you do not understand HOW it works then it will do things that you would think are ODD behavior.
    I had not even really thought about it much when I was driving in my car with my Treo plugged into my car stereo through a cassette adaptor.
    I was very surprised when a call came in. The phone rang through the stereo, I picked it up, pressed answer and held it to my ear (with the cassette adaptor still plugged in) and was surprised when I could only hear the person speaking through the stereo.
    Who needs a handsfree setup? Just plug in through a cassette adaptor if you can and you have instant hands free. The internal microphone seems to pick up speech well even from a few feet away.
    Quote Originally Posted by woonhong
    Hi Nite_owl,

Thanks for the very detailed explaination. i actually found my answer as well after posting the question, but u really made it clearer thanks again.

WH
    Hi all,

check out Freedom that will let you listen to mp3 and audio sound using any headset or ear piece and even the Treo supplied ear piece. goto www.toysoft.ca/freedom.html
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca