1.    #1  
    I'm searching eBay and people are bidding $450 plus $18 shipping for a Verizon Treo 600 with no accessories. You can go in the store and get it for $449. I realize you have to sign a two-year agreement. Is that the reason people will pay more on eBay?

There are also other auctions where people are paying higher than in-store prices.
  2.    #2  
    Sorry, no one really replied to this. I was recently on eBay again and someone is bidding about $500 for a Verizon Treo 600 with no accessories. Is it the contract that scares people? Someone please explain.

Thanks.
    Most likely. I sold a Sprint Treo 600 that was used for a month for $560 in the early days of release. The buyer technically saved ~$40 over a non-contract purchase from Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamF
    Sorry, no one really replied to this. I was recently on eBay again and someone is bidding about $500 for a Verizon Treo 600 with no accessories. Is it the contract that scares people? Someone please explain.

Thanks.

What if the customer is not eligible for a rebate? This to me would explain one of the main reasons customers would look to ebay for another option.
    i bought mine from ebay.
  6.    #6  
    I'm a Verizon customer and want to stay with Verizon. As far as I know, I can walk into Verizon, sign a 2-year contract and get the 600 for $449. So, in my case it wouldn't make sense to pay more than that on eBay I wouldn't think. And I'm wondering why anyone couldn't do this as long as they're willing to sign a contract.
    you just answered your own question. They dont want a contract.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamF
    I'm a Verizon customer and want to stay with Verizon. As far as I know, I can walk into Verizon, sign a 2-year contract and get the 600 for $449. So, in my case it wouldn't make sense to pay more than that on eBay I wouldn't think. And I'm wondering why anyone couldn't do this as long as they're willing to sign a contract.
    As I mentioned earlier, they may not be eligible to sign a new contract either. Most providers have a limit or time period in place before one is eligible for a new phone. Verizon used to have their new every two promotion...every two years, but I don't know what it is now. Wireless providers subsidize the price of the phone based on the long term profit that having a customer under contract affords. There are phone buffs who would go into a store and renew their contract every month if it meant getting another phone-and it would only extend their contract by a month, so why not? They can always sell them off on Ebay after all.