Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. mtb
    Quote Originally Posted by The Muffin Man
    First: palmOne Treo "Ace" - It's pretty much as "outted" here already. No flash for the camera (that's a fact btw). EDGE RX/TX and CDMA 1X Dual Band units, Bluetooth 1.1 (modem, obex, headset and car kit functions cited) 312mHZ Intel ARM processor, Blazer 4.0 Browser, Versa Mail 3.0.
    Awesome, what else can you tell us about the Ace?
    and the yet to be leaked Athena Connector (replacing the Universal Connector).
    You have got to be kidding!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MAdMoNKEY
    He's WeeBit in disguise
    Hmmm...that was my first thought
    There are two new palmOne units coming this fall -- that's it through the end of the year as palmOne told a group in June. There will be NO OS 6 units before January.

First: palmOne Treo "Ace" - It's pretty much as "outted" here already. No flash for the camera (that's a fact btw). EDGE RX/TX and CDMA 1X Dual Band units, Bluetooth 1.1 (modem, obex, headset and car kit functions cited) 312mHZ Intel ARM processor, Blazer 4.0 Browser, Versa Mail 3.0.

Second: palmOne Tungsten "Angus" - Looks much like the Tungsten E. Runs OS 5.4 (NOT Cobalt, none until after the first of the year in OS 6). 320 x 480 TFT 16-bit screen, 256 MB internal flash dive, 32 MB SDRAM, 1020 mAH Li-ion non-removable battery, Bluetooth, SD slot, 5-Way nav and the yet to be leaked Athena Connector (replacing the Universal Connector). NO microphone, LED or WiFi! Basicly it's the Tungsten E's big brother. It will come with the Blazer 4.0 Browser and Versa Mail 2.7 though.

These are the facts for the fall -- that's it at this point on the roadmap.

---------------------------------------------------
    Do you know The Muffin Man? He knows...
    Man, I'm not believing any rumors until January . This T|T5 stuff got me skeptical of everything.

But...NO WiFi on the "Angus"? UGH!
    Current setup: myTouch 4G Slide (main), hp Pre2 and Veer 4G (backups)
    Just an FYI: I've not heard anything about a Treo Rowdy, but that of course doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. I am certain though that the codename for the Treo that we have been discussing recently is the Treo Ace.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    tks muffin man!

so the treo OS will be upgradable in comin' year if one gets a 650 with the old OS? or better wait for the all new OS? sounds a little bit strange to me that they would launch a whole new hardware upgrade and some months later a whole new softy upgrade.

AND: any insights regarding a possible wi-fi card?
    Wait a minute...Why would the T|Angus come with Blazer? Wouldn't it come with WebPro?

So, assuming mr. muffin man is true, the T650 is EDGE compat?
    Current setup: myTouch 4G Slide (main), hp Pre2 and Veer 4G (backups)
  8.    #28  
    There are two new palmOne units coming this fall -- that's it through the end of the year as palmOne told a group in June. There will be NO OS 6 units before January.

Second: palmOne Tungsten "Angus" - Looks much like the Tungsten E. Runs OS 5.4 (NOT Cobalt, none until after the first of the year in OS 6). 320 x 480 TFT 16-bit screen, 256 MB internal flash dive, 32 MB SDRAM, 1020 mAH Li-ion non-removable battery, Bluetooth, SD slot, 5-Way nav and the yet to be leaked Athena Connector (replacing the Universal Connector). NO microphone, LED or WiFi! Basicly it's the Tungsten E's big brother. It will come with the Blazer 4.0 Browser and Versa Mail 2.7 though.

These are the facts for the fall -- that's it at this point on the roadmap.

---------------------------------------------------
    Do you know The Muffin Man? He knows...
    Ahh!! Muffin Man, thanks for the insightful info...particularly since it seems that other specs posted on 1src.com were complete and utter bullshiite! Anway, thanks for your info which fits more in line with Nexave's leak posted before all this mess. Anyway, the "Angus" (seriously wtf did they choose that? ) sounds more like a TE2 than anything else. Again, it would be disappointing to learn that P1 won't integrate wifi with this, but then they may be waiting until Cobalt to do that? Anyway, can't wait to see this...

Btw, what is Edge Rx/Tx? I know what Edge is but what about "RX/TX"? What does that stand for? Anyway, it will be nice if the Ace or whatever does have Edge...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    That's some good info you provided there, Muffin Man. We greatly appreciate you sharing. Now, do you think you can answer the rest of the questions in this thread?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=56638

If not, no biggie, just thought I'd ask.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    i thought Rx/Tx meant "Send/Receive"
    some of his info is accurate, a couple of things arent. presumably, he got some fact sheet and improvised on the points that weren't talked about. man, i guess people are no longer afraid of losing their jobs anymore..
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by spacehog
    some of his info is accurate, a couple of things arent. presumably, he got some fact sheet and improvised on the points that weren't talked about. man, i guess people are no longer afraid of losing their jobs anymore..

Well, if most of the fact sheet is already out, why don't you just correct the info you know!

Anyway, the only thing really new revealed about the Ace is that it may indeed be Edge compatible (Happy 100thMonkey! ). The Angus specs, otherwise, pretty much fit with the Nexave leak. What else do you know!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    What is the reason for developing separate lines of 'high end' PDA's and 'low end' phone/PDA's. Wouldn't it make more sense to just produce a range of PDA's that come in 2 versions: 1 with a phone and 1 without? Having come across the Treo as a phone user, I would ask why produce a PDA without a phone, but then I presume there must be many situations in companies where a phone isn't needed or wanted on the device.

From my point of view though, why produce a high end PDA that doesn't have a phone? I mean, they stick cameras on phones 'just because they can' (waste of time as far as I'm concerned, especially on the treo 600) so why not just include a phone as just another feature of a PDA?
    I don't think Rowdy describes those of us waiting for news about the "Ace".

I think a more accurate word would be "Randy".
    "Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo__baggins
    why produce a high end PDA that doesn't have a phone?
    Batteries.

This isn't always true, but you will generally see battery life decrease as processor speed, screen size/brightness and wireless activity increase. In fancy, fancy devices that do everything, like the Dell Axim X30, for instance, battery life gets down to a few hours (especially when you ask it to actually do everything all at once). Phones necessarily have to put a lot of battery life into their radios, so they are generally equipped with smaller, less bright screens and slower processors in order to not add to the battery drain. You have to remember, as well, that devices like the Treo are still competing against plain old cellphones, even though devices like the Treo are considerably more complex than plain old cellphones. This means that people expect the same kind of battery life from the Treo that they get from their plain old cellphone. So the "smart" phones are dumbed down in order to have competitive battery life and devices that are unencumbered by the burden of also being a phone get to be the "high end" stand alone devices.

As far as adding a camera to a PDA, that doesn't drain the battery. On the other hand, adding a flash to go along with the camer would hit the battery pretty hard. Cellphones with a camera and a flash are just starting to come out, but we can imagine that while the flash might improve picture quality, it isn't goint to help with battery life. Just throwing a camera in there, though -- why not? It won't affect the battery life, anyway.
    He's WeeBit in disguise
    That's the only way I'd give him any creditability. Unfortunately pretty much anyone could be WeeBit in disguise.

Just to clarify, what is CDMA 1x? I thought 1xrt (or something like that) is what Sprint uses for vision that was in the Treo 300+600. Is this 1x something like EV-DO or just the old stuff that we've had for two generations? If it's the old stuff, I don't see why that qualifies as "news." However EDGE (and some coverage of it - anyone have maps for carriers with EDGE in the US) would make me switch to GSM from Sprint as long as the data rate is similar (which I'm sure it's not going to be).
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo__baggins
    so why not just include a phone as just another feature of a PDA?
    Besides the batteries mentioned previously, there's also the form factor to keep in mind. People will probably purchase something more phone-like than pda-like to work as their phone. Conversely people will purchase something more pda-like than phone-like to work as their PDA. I suppose it's all in what you are in the market for. I'm looking for somewhere in the middle, and that's the Treo 600 right now. The 650 should bump up the PDA capabilities some which would be great.
    Muffin Man...Is this a typo??? Did you really mean Dual Band or did you mean Dual Mode???... As in both GSM & CDMA in one phone...I would hope it would still be QUAD BAND (850/900/1800/1900)

Could you please claify? If not combine in one unit, then what bands will be available in GSM and what will be available in CDMA.

Which GSM carriers have EDGE????
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Unfortunately pretty much anyone could be WeeBit in disguise.
    Oh really? Trying to deflect attention from yourself, bmacfarland? Or should I say...WeeBit!!!
    "Oooh oooh aaah aaah! Slap!" - MAdMoNKEY
    Oh really? Trying to deflect attention from yourself, bmacfarland? Or should I say...WeeBit!!!
    Eh, I have some 500 posts or so dating back to the days of VisorCentral. If I were Weebit, I'd probably wouldn't have been keeping two user names (and replying to myself several times) just so that I could pull the wool over people's eyes in 5 years... or would I?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast