Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It's a simple thread. From all the information that we know (or are reasonable sure of).

For those of you who are upgrading what are the features that are triggering it?

For those of you who are not upgrading, what are the features that prevent it?

I know that cost is always a factor. For this thread, let's just go with the notion that it's not a factor. (Yes, I know that if it wasn't a factor at all, of course you'd upgrade. I'm just saying that if Palm were to put the device on sale at what you'd consider a fair price.)

I'll start:

I'm on the edge (hence my reason for this thread). The only thing that I think would be useful everyday to me would be the hi-res screen. I guess I'd use the faster processor too.

On the other hand, a part of me says to wait for wi-fi or built-in GPS access (though a chip or A-GPS from a carrier), which would be the other two reasons for me to upgrade - if it existed.
    I'll be upgrading for Bluetooth & the improved screen.
    "There has always been a tension in conservatism between those who favor more liberty and those who want more morality. But what's indisputable is that Bush's 'compassionate conservatism' is a move toward the latter - the use of the government to impose and subsidize certain morals over others. He is fusing big government liberalism with religious right moralism. It's the nanny-state with more cash." -- www.AndrewSullivan.com
    Hi-res, a better speakerphone (since I've had problems with mine), and a better camera (so I don't have to fork out extra money to replace my old digital camera).
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Hi-res definitely will do it for me.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Hopes of a better battery life, hi-res, and by appearances better button layout.

this is obviously excluding the new toy factor
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    HIREZ BABY it is RYGAR time. I cannot wait to play NESem.
  7. WAB
    Better mic, speaker, BT, TOY FACTOR
    EDGE...would make me upgrade...nothing else
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    HIREZ BABY it is RYGAR time. I cannot wait to play NESem.
    I had forgotten about all about the game simulators. This might be enough to push me over the edge towards upgrading. Of course that's also going to cost me a few more dollars. Come to think of it, if I can rip DVDs or rig up my ReplayTV to translate files to a mmplayer format (which I think should work -- after a day of jumping through hoops), that alone might have great value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimzo
    EDGE...would make me upgrade...nothing else
    As much as I would like to take this hard line, I will probably jump for

1) High res
    2) megapixel
    3) improved OS
    4) faster
    5) BT
    6) the hope of better build quality

we'll see if other improvements, thus reasons to buy, show themselves in coming weeks
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    I'll be upgrading for the increased speed, the screen, bluetooth and the fact that my 600 is on life support,.
    Because its there!

.....and I still use a treo 90.
    My reasons:

1) High-res screen will make it possible to run game emulators and GPS maps
    2) Bluetooth will provide network access and wireless hotsyncing
    3) Newer OS means more programs will be available
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Hi-res screen and a decent camera- hopefully.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    I've held off buying the 600 because it didn't have bluetooth. The hi-res screen would be equally important too....but unless the 650 is FAR MORE PROBLEM FREE (ie: no buzz problems, no network search problems, no lockups/crashes with just factory loaded apps). I will wait and let the early adoptor's check this out rather than be a quality control inspector for PalmOne...at my own expense! PalmOne...are you listening??? The number of problems users here are having with the current Treo600 is making me hesitant to buy! Your'e going to have to do something to convince me that you really have all the quality control issues handled. I work in a design/manufacturing enviorment, and if I designed a product with this many flaws and sold it to customers...I'd be fired for the warranty/policy costs alone! Edit: forgot to mention...I think the removable battery is a HUGE advantage also!
    Last edited by paris; 08/31/2004 at 01:43 PM.
    If bluetooth works with Chrysler's Uconnect system, I'll get 2!
    higher res
  18. mtb
    High res and bluetooth, if it has PTT also i'll be first in line to buy it
    High res would do it for me. Faster processor is also a help and I would probably find something to do with Bluetooth. My only hesitation is due to the same 32MB RAM. My T600 is already full!
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    1. Definitely the high res screen .. looking at websites will be much easier when I can see the page (or more of it).
    2. Bluetooth .. even if the SD GPS never really pans out a bluetooth GPS module just sitting wirelessly in the car will be sweet. No need to hook anything up or cradles etc. I would also love to see a portable Bluetooth > WiFi bridge. I know the speed would be impaired by BT and I know I can BT to my laptop and then use Wifi, but a portable module would be very cool when in starbucks and out of GPRS signal coverage (still a problem in some parts of the US I travel). This is of course if the SD WiFi never pans out.
    3. Megapixel camera ... the current one is just a novelty.
    4. Hopefully more RAM .. since some program just insist on residing in RAM

Bring it!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast