1.    #1  
    Does ptunes only read MP3 files? Can it not read WMA files?

I copy most of my CDs to my desktop/laptop via Windows Media Player and it automatically creates WMAs rather than MP3s. Also, many downloads comes as WMAs.

If the answer is that pTunes cannot read anything other than MP3s, is there any way to convert? I tried a save-as and actually changed the extension to MP3 format and the files worked on my computers as such, but when opened on my Treo, the converted files make my treo freeze.

Is there another way around this, like making a playlist and copying the playlist of WMAs over to the treo - probably not, right?

Need to get some music up and running asap on my treo. thanks.

Lastly, has anyone reading this purchased the retractable seido 2-in-1? Is it of quality? Are there comperable products out there?
    Last edited by ebenavi; 08/31/2004 at 10:06 AM.
    The latest version Ptunes supports mp3, wma, Ogg, wav, and etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    What version? Is it a pay version or the one that came with registering for my Treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by ebenavi
    What version? Is it a pay version or the one that came with registering for my Treo?

You have to upgrade and buy the full version...

http://www.pocket-tunes.com/purchase.html

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    You have to purchase the deluxe version, not just the full basic version. But there are plenty of free converters out there that will convert wma to mp3...
    If I recall correctly, WMA is a lossy compression (meaning its not an exact digital replica - instead it makes leaps between the sampled signal to approximate it and thusly produces a smaller file). If this is the case, converting it to another lossy codec (like MP3) will result in a degradation of the audio quality. Depending upon the sampling rates, the type of music, and your audio equipment, this may or may not be an issue.

The simplest solution is for you to buy the deluxe version of PTunes and listen to the WMA files in their native format. However you could re-rip all your CD's to MP3 then use a lower cost version of PTunes.
  7.    #7  
    thanks all! Very helpful.
    Will the latest version of ptunes support AAC - ITunes format?
    Will the latest version of ptunes support AAC - ITunes format?
    From Their FAQ:
    "We are always keeping an eye out on the available music formats and may support new formats that become available to us. Unfortunately, many of the emerging formats (such as AAC) require hefty licensing fees from the owners of the patents, and some formats (such as iTunes) include DRM (digital rights management) technology. DRM technology limits what consumers can do with music that they download. Most companies are reluctant to license their DRM technology for fear that people will figure out how to remove the protection from their files."