Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Does anyone have an interest in developing a native WordPerfect viewer for the Palm OS. I'm an integrator, and almost all of my clients are lawyers. They are begining to catch Treo fevor, and would really like to be able to at least view (if not edit ala Docs2Go v7 and Word / Excel) these files on their handhelds.

I'd be willing to start the pot with $50.00, and could guarantee quite a few sales.
    Huh? AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $DTG$ $already$ $supports$ $wordperfect$ $files$ $types$.

http://www.dataviz.com/products/docu...g_formats.html

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Yes. And after plunking down the $80.00 (I think) for the software, I found out that only Word, Excel and PowerPoint files are supported in their "native" formats (So, you can open a Word file attached to an e-mail, edit it in D2G and send it back). ALL the other file types require a hotsync after conversion using their Windows program. This makes support for the other file types pretty much useless in the current state of affairs.

This is why I'm looking for a native WordPerfect viewer / editor.
    I'm sorry, but the heck uses WordPefect anymore anyway?! I mean, I'm sure there must be an option in WP to save as Word file also... that's probably the easiest solution of all...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    See, that's the problem. All my clients are lawyers. They have been Wordperfect shops since WordPerfect for DOS 4.x (Many moons ago). They all re-tooled for WPWIN 6.1 which included macros and the like. Now, to re-tool them for Word is very costly, and, in the case of the legal world, loses them tons of important functionality.

So...

If they want to keep up in the mobile world, we either need an app or suite that runs on the Palm OS that's WP friendly, or my clients all get to pay me to re-tool them for MS Word. I'm happy to take their money, but I'd rather come up with a mobile WP solution.

If no one volunteers, I'll just get a dev kit and do it myself I suppose.
    Last edited by KKenna; 08/31/2004 at 06:09 PM.
    So, what's the state of things after 9 months? Is there some native viewer for WordPerfect? I really would like that!
    I don't have a PDA yet, but I am about to buy one, so, what are the options with WordPerfect? How do I transfer .wpd to my PDA, edit them there (in whatever program...), and move them back to my PC?
    Thanks for the help. Hate to buy something that won't work the way I need it to.

JungleWriter
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    No progress. I jumped ship with the release of the 650 in favor of a PPC-6600. Corel has simply resigned itself to taking whatever sales they get through legacy users and probably won't be enhancing their products.

Since M$ appears to be aggressively pursuing the handheld market now, a WP viewer for PPC is what I'm gunning for. I'm not hopeful that I will have the time to do this, but DataViz may include the WPD format in their viewers for the new M$ mobile OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKenna
    a WP viewer for PPC is what I'm gunning for. I'm not hopeful that I will have the time to do this, but DataViz may include the WPD format in their viewers for the new M$ mobile OS.
    Help me out, is a *viewer* different than a *writer/editor*? Can I write and edit in a viewer?
    Thanks,

JungleWriter