View Poll Results: Are you buying the Treo 650?

Voters
361. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! I want one, give me one NOW!!

242 67.04%
  • After it's release, I think I'll wait a few months to grab one.

74 20.50%
  • I'll just wait for my current cell phone to disintegrate before I get a new one.

38 10.53%
  • No, too much phone for me.

7 1.94%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommystone
    When I first got my 600, I spent a lot of time converting MP3s and Audible programs. Then my SD card got corrupted and I never went back to reload everything.
    I don't know why you'd have to reload everything because I would have thought you'd have it on your primary computer. That said, I don't know why you'd spend time converting MP3s, they work natively. I think you can get a cheap program for Audible as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I think you can get a cheap program for Audible as well.
    Cheep as in free (unless I'm misunderstanding your usage needs). You can download a program specifically for the T6 from www.audible.com.

I'm going to hold off on the T6.5. I'm brand new to the world of the T6, and just cant see spending more dough on what I would call... minor features.

Also, given what I've read seen and heard, I get the strong feeling we are on the verge of a smartphone explosion. With the merger of ATT/Cingular the rumor mill has it that we are in for very competitive times, both in service plans and phones (this is from Cingular and Verizon execs I know). I think 18 months or so from now we'll be in a very different mobile phone world. I could be wrong, but this just has that feeling... kinda like 15 years ago when, if you wanted the best PC in the world you would by a Tandy? Or even 5 years ago, when we all had to pay for internet access by the minute?

Smartphones as of today have that same geeky niche broadband and Tandy had yesterday. If the industry leaders are to be believed, this is all about to change, in a big way.
    hmm.. trying to decide between the Qtek 9090 and the 650
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I will purchase one as soon as they become available. I doubt that it will have the same problems that the current Treo has had, and it definitely will be a better product than the iPAQ 6315. The only thing that may make me think twice is the XDA III if it becomes available on GSM...
    I couldn't agree more. There were large changes in the 300 to 600. New form factor, huge upgrade of the OS, MP3, camera, memory. The 650 seems to just have minor OS upgrade, resolution upgrade, add BT which I'd never use, and no memory or form factor. Still if it comes it at the right price I'd do it.

No one seems to acknowledge that the 650's processor will be about 2.5 times as fast as the 600's. The processor and the resolution (both screen, and, to a lesser extent, camera) are the main selling points for me. The OS upgrade might be a selling point, but I haven't looked into the differences between 5.2 and 5.4. Bluetooth may prove useful to me at some point in the future, but as of now, I've never had it, so I don't miss it.

I agree that going from the 300 to the 600 was a leap, whereas going from the 600 to the 650 is more of step, but that can actually work to our (current owners of a 600) advantage -- if the perceived difference is not that great, our 600s will fetch more on eBay, making our TCO for the 650 that much lower.
    I don't know why you'd have to reload everything because I would have thought you'd have it on your primary computer. That said, I don't know why you'd spend time converting MP3s, they work natively. I think you can get a cheap program for Audible as well.
    That's true, MP3s run natively, but ITunes doesn't download native MP3s. I had to use Itunes to export native MP3s to a CD, then copy them back onto the hard drive. I've seen this described in other threads. The process is a good example of the barrier that must be overcome in order to fully use the Treo.

There's a lot of time and fiddling necessary to get Treo applications installed and configured, like Kinoma, SnapperMail, PTunes, Audible, etc. When we look back at the threads for making these programs work, it's obvious that these aren't as straighforward as they could be. It probably took me a couple of hours to get my first Audible program to run.

I'd like to recommend the Treo to more of my friends and family, but I really can't unless they are technically-minded, because the Treo doesn't work right out of the box. It can function as an alarm clock, MP3 player, movie player, etc., but only after someone with sufficient technical expertise sets it up (probably aided by several hours of reading on treocentral). I'm sure it's better now, but when I got my 600, it didn't even have workable e-mail capability until I installed SnapperMail. Nor was there a file manager capable of viewing the contents of the SD card.

I think the Treo is absolutely stunning new technology, and it deserves to expand to a wider audience. Palm could give it a great boost by shipping a device that do what the Treo is capable of without additional setup, right out of the box.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    i'm pretty sure i'm going to go ahead and get the new treo when it comes out. i actually just got my 600 just a couple of months ago, but the screen resolution is harder to come to grips with than i had thought it would be (my last pda was a sony clie nx70v, which had an excellent screen), and i would really like bluetooth to be able to use a wireless headset. and my husband is already resigned to the fact that i'm a gadget-geek and probably won't fuss a lot about the purchase. he knows i'll be able to sell my current treo on ebay and at least recover some of the money (i hope!).

marianne
    Nah, I don't want it. I'll stick with my Treo 600 until something A LOT better comes out..

How did I vote? Well, I really can't. I'd have to pick "none of the above" - but it's not there..

YES! I want one, give me one NOW!! (NO)
    After it's release, I think I'll wait a few months to grab one. (NO)
    I'll just wait for my current cell phone to disintegrate before I get a new one. (NO)
    No, too much phone for me. (NO)

New option: It's just not enough of an "upgrade"... (YES)
    Sal Collaziano
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 "dumb" phone > iPhone > Pre?
    cadillac | oldsmobile | buick | pontiac | lincoln | Madison Ross Media Group
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    This poll doesn't offer enough choices, but put me in the "I'm gonna wait" category. There are too many unknowns, starting with build quality and specification of the Treo 650.
    No Wifi No Sale.
    If the rumoured specs of the T5 are close to reality, I'll have some extra discretionary PDA-dollars this year -- that sucker is terribly unappealing.

So, yes, the Treo 650 is becoming a more credible purchase for me. However, it takes so bleeding long for the Canadian carriers to adopt these babies that I'll probably have another year of discretionary dollars available by the time I need to make a choice. By then, the Tungsten|T7 will have arrived.
    But then you would have to wait another year to get the T7 in Canada. Sounds like a never ending story.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BssinRVer
    But then you would have to wait another year to get the T7 in Canada. Sounds like a never ending story.

He wont have to wait for the T7, because no carriers will need to adopt it.
    I'm waiting for the 700.
    T600/Sprint
    After it's release --> After its release

signed,

Grammar Nazi
    I just ordered a new treo 600,because mine crapped out. I asked the treo rep if the 650 was going to have wifi and he said no. If he was telling the truth, I am not going to buy one now. I am going to wait for the new ipaq to get to cingular and i will buy it. It has wifi, blue tooth has the treo keyboard. Some won't like it because the screen is bigger, but I like the bigger screen
    I have the 600 and hate the screen res..otherwise it does all that I need it to do. Of course I will order a 650 as soon as it becomes available!
    i have not gotten the 600 due to all the negitive feedback on this board. i will wait and see how the 650 measures up before i plunk down my money. i must say that i can really use a a smart phone and that i enjoy riding the latest technology wave. if the reviews are good, i will get it.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Yes, I will buy a 650. I've been waiting since the 600 first came out. I bought a 600 when they were released, but was having too many problems with it so I returned it and decided to wait............................... Hopefully I will have better luck with the 650. I hope all of the phone issues are fixed. Buzzing, Echo, poor reception, etc......
    I love the palm apps, but for me, the phone capabilities & qualities outweight everything else.

Tafari06
    Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast