1.    #1  
    After my 6th treo, I got sick and tired of my clients telling me that my phone was terrible. I got even more sick and tired of what seems like Palm One sending me "broken" or re-furbed treos with the same buzz or speaker for replacments. Even worse, every time I called palm one executive customer care, they gave me the run-around and promised that a "tech" would personally test my phone and "ensure" that it would work. I have burned through all the common problems like the buzz, speaker, network search... you name it, I have battled through it. Finally I decided to call my laywer about the whole issue. I explained to him that I had spent 500 on the phone and that they kept giving me the run-around. He told me to send him a copy of the warranty and to give him the address to PalmOne's website where he could look at the purchase aggreements. 2 days later, he called back with great news! Apparently he found out that their are some possible implications with the warranty. Palm One could technically keep sending me lemon phones until my warranty expired and then leave me out to dry without ever really fulfilling the legal constraints that the warranty holds them to! He asked me if I had proof that Palm One had in-fact replaced my phone 6 times. I scrambled together my paper work and found the tracking #s and some paper work of my last few replacements. I also gave him the phone # of corperate customer relations. 2 hours later he called me back, and asked if an upgrade to a "650" would satisfy me, of course I said sure!! I asked when I would I get it, and he said that after a "clear explination of the legal implications" the head superviser told him that they were not available to the public yet, but that as soon as they were available they would send me an upgrade!! I don't know if a little "pressure" did the trick, but I intend to hold palm one to it. I asked my lawyer if it was for sure, and he told me that he had recorded the phone conversation with the rep. I then asked him if that was illegal, and he told me that when you hear the "this call me be recorded for quality or training purposes" that in the state of California this entitles you to record the conversation as well. Anyways, this is my experience, take it for what its worth. I guess I am also just venting my frustrations with PalmOne and the love-hate relationship with the T600. I'm sure this thread will start up a host of Palm One defenders backlashing at what I think is a just and fair way of getting a workable phone. I just think that every loyal 600 user should be entitled to their 500 dollar investment. For you unlucky people who have had to play the replacement rat race, Palm One Corperate's # is 847-493-7256
    Well, for those that are unlucky enough to keep getting lemons, I think this is an equitable solution. Good for P1 for offering it to you(r lawyer). For me, I'd rather keep my 10-month-old T600 than put any money in a lawyer's pocket that I don't have to. Sure wish there weren't that lemon-refurb-lemon problem, though.
    I've been through some 4 or 5 phones myself (my first one lasted a good 8 months though and then I got a string of lemons that couldn't get the network even in Sprint's store - where all the other phones could). Anyway, I definitely sympathize with the trouble you've had and it does seem somewhat equitable. If I was Palm, I'd do something like extend the warranty when you get a replacement phone, instead of what they did. In essence, I think that would allow them to live up the warranty that you get a year on the phone. Sure you would have still had the inconvenience of the lemons, but to me that's the price you pay for being an early adopter on the cutting edge.

Personally, I hope Palm doesn't do this for everyone and that everyone doesn't take this route to getting free phones. This will just succeed in displacing money from Palm to lawyers, and we'll see less innovation and good Treo's from them.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jchromier
    ...he called me back, and asked if an upgrade to a "650" would satisfy me, of course I said sure!!
    Just so we get the story right: Who called the new Treo a "650"? You, your lawyer, or PalmOne?
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Send me a copy of the tape, or an mp3/wav file and I will host it.

Thanks
    Lonzo
    ...yeah, well, you still have to pay your lawyer, right ?
    This story seems a little strange. If you had that many problems with your T600 seems like you would have had more than (1) post by now. I would have been all over these forums talking about all those problems.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Well for one thing, the two times I sent my 300 back for problems, the ones I got back each had a new 1 year warranty with them. So at least with my experiance, you would never "run out" of warranty if you keep getting defective Treos, since each replacement restarts the warranty year. Perhaps thats not his situation, but I wonder.

Secondly, I'm a lawyer myself. I don't say I wouldn't do all that for an existing client, but the attorney had to read the waranty carefully, possibly do some research, check the website, review the second set of paperwork, have at least three calls with the client and deal with the Customer Service ladder -- which you KNOW doesnt give you a "head supervisor" on the first ring. Thats several hundred dollars minimum on anybody's clock. In fact, all of that would likely cost $500.

Of course he could be a good client and the lawyer could be doing this as much as a favor as anything else, BUT, I don't know any attorney that would have called the basic corporate switchboard and say "I'm an attorney for so-and-so." Any lawyer I can think of would have put all the info in a letter on legal letterhead and sent it to Palm for several reasons: It creates a trail; shows you did what the client asked you;"proves" you are who you say you are; ensures you get all of your points down clearly; allows you to quote from the warranty or statutes; makes it more likely to get to someone that can respond; is accepted by the courts as delivering a complaint about a problem and could be evidence if need be; will generate a written response in most cases which is very useful; and (most importantly for the attorney) is a lot less time consuming for the lawyer than sitting on hold waiting for a "head supervisor." Not to mention the fact that the company shouldn't be talking about customer info like that with someone who calls in and says "I'm so-and-so's attorney" --and the attorney shouldnt' expect it. How do they know he is the guys attorney, or an attorney at all?

Not saying it didnt happen that way, maybe the lawyer is like me, taking a week off and has little to do except think about the new Treo!! LOL
    Last edited by midmofan; 08/30/2004 at 11:02 PM.
    I'm on my fifth 300, do ya think that'll work?
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    This makes perfect sense to me and goes along with what I have thought all along, and that is that there are some serious engineering flaws in the T600 architecture that either: A- PalmOne cannot fix or B- PalmOne does not want to invest the money to fix. How long have people been complaining about these issues? And palmone still can't seem to fix them. It can't be that hard, there are several threads that show you how to do open heart surgery on the treo and fix some of these issues yourself, how come P1 won't do it? Think about it, why would you keep shipping defective phones to your loyal customers to **** them off? Why else would you roll-out a new model even before the T600 fully satuarates the carriers? That is what makes no sense. How else could a laywer scare them into an upgrade by waiving a warranty in the air when technically all they would have to do to satisfy the warranty is provide a working replacement?? It is because they CAN'T guarantee a working replacement because they are not able or won't fix the problems!!! Instead they just opt to push out a new model that fixes the problems as well as satisfies the demand for all the features that everyone wanted in the first place!! And we all just paid a 500 dollar premium to become BETA testers for palm...This is what pisses me off. I am on my 7th phone, and if I had the money I would get a laywer too. I'm glad somebody decided to take action and do something about P1's terrible quality issues.
    P1 was not the real Qualitly problem. It was Handspring rushing the thing to market after they "leaked" the 600 news in order to get a good buzz during their serch for an investor or partner. The "leak" and subsequent very early announcement of a the release, worked as far as Palm is concerned, but it dried up sales of the 300 causing a different problem. IMO opinion, HS rushed the release date, the testing and the manufacture of the units all because their income stream dried up while everybody was waiting for the 600 to come out.

Thus all of the early bugs, fixes, fixes for fixes and QC problems some of which P1 I don't think could do anything about without a serious rework ie a "600+" or something.

This is why I am willing to jump in for and get the 650. I think P1 will have done it correctly this time. At least I think the odds are good enought that I will take the chance. I am glad I waited, although it was tough at times. I'm also glad there were forums like this so palm could see what users were experiancing and what was needed and wanted.

Now, this has nothing to do with wether or not the initial story here is accurate. Still does not sound right to me. Not impossible, but odd.
    Say what you will about quality control issues, but I've had far less problems than I've had with Windows. Of course I had more problems than when I got my first Nokia back in 1996. Of course this makes sense since the Treo 600 is somewhere in between. The more bells and whistles you add to something, the more likely one of the bells or whistles is going to break or have quality control issues. The solution? Buy fewer bells and whistles and only those bells and whistles that have been stood the test of time. Unfortunately that would mean giving up everything that makes the Treo special.
    Who wants to boycott the 650 with me ...? Not! We like our bells and our whistles. That's why we get a high when we tell friends and family we can access our PC via T600, or we can perform open heart surgery via T600. I personally love it when people WOW over my T600. I'm getting the T650 when it comes out so I can be cool. :-D Get one, everyone who's anyone will get one too. I hate P1 for putting me in this state of mind. :-D
    Quote Originally Posted by jchromier
    After my 6th treo, I got sick and tired of my clients telling me that my phone was terrible. I got even more sick and tired of what seems like Palm One sending me "broken" or re-furbed treos with the same buzz or speaker for replacments. Even worse, every time I called palm one executive customer care, they gave me the run-around and promised that a "tech" would personally test my phone and "ensure" that it would work. I have burned through all the common problems like the buzz, speaker, network search... you name it, I have battled through it. Finally I decided to call my laywer about the whole issue. I explained to him that I had spent 500 on the phone and that they kept giving me the run-around. He told me to send him a copy of the warranty and to give him the address to PalmOne's website where he could look at the purchase aggreements. 2 days later, he called back with great news! Apparently he found out that their are some possible implications with the warranty. Palm One could technically keep sending me lemon phones until my warranty expired and then leave me out to dry without ever really fulfilling the legal constraints that the warranty holds them to! He asked me if I had proof that Palm One had in-fact replaced my phone 6 times. I scrambled together my paper work and found the tracking #s and some paper work of my last few replacements. I also gave him the phone # of corperate customer relations. 2 hours later he called me back, and asked if an upgrade to a "650" would satisfy me, of course I said sure!! I asked when I would I get it, and he said that after a "clear explination of the legal implications" the head superviser told him that they were not available to the public yet, but that as soon as they were available they would send me an upgrade!! I don't know if a little "pressure" did the trick, but I intend to hold palm one to it. I asked my lawyer if it was for sure, and he told me that he had recorded the phone conversation with the rep. I then asked him if that was illegal, and he told me that when you hear the "this call me be recorded for quality or training purposes" that in the state of California this entitles you to record the conversation as well. Anyways, this is my experience, take it for what its worth. I guess I am also just venting my frustrations with PalmOne and the love-hate relationship with the T600. I'm sure this thread will start up a host of Palm One defenders backlashing at what I think is a just and fair way of getting a workable phone. I just think that every loyal 600 user should be entitled to their 500 dollar investment. For you unlucky people who have had to play the replacement rat race, Palm One Corperate's # is 847-493-7256
    Still on 600 number 1 - actually on number 2 - but I don't count the 1st one as I broke the screen myself playing drinking games with my buddies

Orange Switzerland replaced the broken one free of charge, fixed the broken one (via A-Nova) and gave it back to me, again, free of charge... so, now I have 2 for the price of 1 and no middleman lawyer to speak of (but yes, I do consider myself very fortunate).

I do sympathise with you but perhaps, you should have come to TC sooner. You never know, someone may have been able to help you.
    www.gsmworld.com