Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Welcome to Hurricane Tracker or H-Tracker or just plain Tracker; born out of a need to keep abreast of what the latest tropical storm or hurricane in the Atlantic basin is doing. And remember hurricane season begins June 1st and ends November 30th.

I would recommend that you first visit the preferences screen and make your choices for:
    Using knots for wind speed and millibars for pressure. It defaults to wind speed in miles per hour (MPH) and pressure in inches of mercury;
    Using 12 or 24 hour time format for display only as time data for tracking is stored in 24 hour mode;
    Selecting a storm on startup.

To select the date and time for the tracking information you are entering, tap on the date or time field. Each one will bring up a dialog box for setting the date and time respectively. Note that as mentioned this is the date and time you will see when you enter tracking information.

Buttons at the bottom. No drawing yet so they are left to right 0 - 6.
    0 - Clear the input fields at any time. Or when editing clears out the data but does not save anything.
    1 - Saves the current tracking data.
    2 - Tap the day column to select a record and then tap the Edit button. To cancel, tap the Edit button again. If you tap the Edit button with no record selected it will display a warning dialog.
    3 - Display a full screen of tracking information.
    4 - Display the hurricane tracking map. This is the swirl button.
    5 - Tap the day column to select a record and then delete that record. No record selected brings up a warning dialog.
    6 - Exit the application. You can also use the return key on your keyboard or the ol' home button.

Okay that's pretty much it for the buttons on the bottom.

When you enter data the time is displayed in the table. You can tap this column and the date will be displayed. If you enter a note it will show as a note object in the far right table column. You can then tap on the note to see what you wrote.

All fields must be filled or you will get a warning dialog and the empty field will be highlighted.

Maximum of 12 storms allowed right now with a limit of 20 characters in the name. Should handle most storms.

Oh yeah, the map. You can get to it by tapping the swirl button on the main page. You can use your stylus to scroll the map left and right and up and down. You can turn the track points off and on with the button at the top of the map. You can exit the map page or return to the main screen, by tapping the OK button on the top. You can tap a point and see some information. Tap any non point place to clear the info.

Works with all Palm 5-way navigation pads. On the map screen you can also use the navigation pad buttons to scroll the map as well as using the stylus.

On the map screen you can use the return key to go back to the main screen. Or push the center button on the navi-pad to return to the entry screen. Likewise on the main screen you can exit the app using the return key.

When entering the name of a storm you can use the return key when finished as well as the OK button.

All entered data is plotted on the map as long as it is within the confines of the map coordinates. The map is limited to 60 to 100 degrees of longitude and 10 to 50 degrees of latitude. It is centered when first displayed but can be scrolled or panned. See the notes above on how to scroll or pan the map.

Tapping the menu bar or the menu icon or the menu key give access to these options:

Preferences
    --------------------
    Add A New Storm
    Select New Storm
    Delete This Storm
    -------------------
    Delete Storm tracks
    -------------------
    About Hurricane Tracker

Here are the hurricane names to be used through the year 2009 in the Atlantic basin:

2004 Alex, Bonnie, Charley, Danielle, Earl, Frances, Gaston, Hermine, Ivan, Jeanne, Karl, Lisa, Matthew, Nicole, Otto, Paula, Richard, Shary, Tomas, Virginie, Walter

2005 Arlene, Bret, Cindy, Dennis, Emily, Franklin, Gert, Harvey, Irene, Jose, Katrina, Lee, Maria, Nate, Ophelia, Philippe, Rita, Stan, Tammy, Vince, Wilma.

2006 Alberto, Beryl, Chris, Debby, Ernesto, Florence, Gordon, Helene, Isaac, Joyce, Kirk, Leslie, Michael, Nadine, Oscar, Patty, Rafael, Sandy, Tony, Valerie, William.

2007 Andrea, Barry, Chantal, Dean, Erin, Felix, Gabrielle, Humberto, Ingrid, Jerry, Karen, Lorenzo, Melissa, Noel, Olga, Pablo, Rebekah, Sebastien, Tanya, Van, Wendy

2008 Arthur, Bertha, Cristobal, Dolly, Edouard, Fay, Gustav, Hanna, Ike, Josephine, Kyle, Lili, Marco, Nana, Omar, Paloma, Rene, Sally, Teddy, Vicky, Wilfred

2009 Ana, Bill, Claudette, Danny, Erika, Fabian, Grace, Henri, Isabel, Juan, Kate, Larry, Mindy, Nicholas, Odette, Peter, Rose, Sam, Teresa, Victor, Wanda

Hurricanes are Categorized from 1 to 5 according to what is known as the Saffir-Simpson Scale.

Category 1
    Hurricane has a central barometric pressure of 28.94 inches or more and winds of 74 to 95 mph. The storm is accompanied by a 4 to 5 foot storm surge and causes minimal damage

Category 2
    Pressure 28.5 inches to 28.93 inches, winds from 96 mph to 110 mph, storm surge 6 to 8 feet, damage moderate.

Category 3
    Pressure 27.91 inches to 28.49 inches, winds from 111 mph to 130 mph, storm surge 9 to 12 feet, damage extensive.

Category 4
    Pressure 27.17 inches to 27.90 inches, winds from 131 mph to 155 mph, storm surge 13 feet to 18 feet, damage extreme.
    *Hurricane Georges, when it went through the Caribbean in 1998, and hurricanes Andrew and Hugo were all Category 4 storms.

Category 5
    Pressure less than 27.17 inches, winds greater than 155 mph, storm surge higher than 18 feet. Damage Catastrophic.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by quickster; 08/29/2004 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Addition data
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Awesome...especially since I am heading to Puerto Rico next week. I will begin playing with it right away...thanks! Let me know if you are taking any donations.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by cash70
    Awesome...especially since I am heading to Puerto Rico next week. I will begin playing with it right away...thanks! Let me know if you are taking any donations.
    You are always welcome to make donations to my early retirement fund at my web site, www.thequickster.com.

Thanks much and good luck on your trip.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
  4.    #4  
    Here is the data information for Hurricane Charley as plotted on my hurricane tracking application. You can just load it like any other Palm file and it will show up in the list of databases in the application.

I did find one little thing I am correcting in the application and that is the sorting is done by date and I need to add the time to the sort criteria which I am working on as I type.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Thanks...works great! Also, for anyone tracking, you can receive e-mail updates from NOAA and just copy and paste the info into the program.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Quote Originally Posted by quickster
    Here is the data information for Hurricane Charley as plotted on my hurricane tracking application. You can just load it like any other Palm file and it will show up in the list of databases in the application.

I did find one little thing I am correcting in the application and that is the sorting is done by date and I need to add the time to the sort criteria which I am working on as I type.
    do you have the data accumulated so far on Francis? I found current position etc but not past.
    I believe that Frances is not within map range "yet".

This is quite cool!

One suggestion... Are you planning a "download storm data" or at least the ability to grab a pdb file from your server via blazer? It's not just about being lazy :-) I 'm out and about and on the road enough that I'd need to update this from the Treo...

Lastly, I'd love to import some historical data... Would you mind sharing the format or building in a simle import tool for CSV data?

THANKS AGAIN!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by kd_cooke
    This is quite cool!

One suggestion... Are you planning a "download storm data" or at least the ability to grab a pdb file from your server via blazer? It's not just about being lazy :-) I 'm out and about and on the road enough that I'd need to update this from the Treo...

Lastly, I'd love to import some historical data... Would you mind sharing the format or building in a simle import tool for CSV data?

THANKS AGAIN!
    Never really thought about a download area from my site for current data or historical data. And personally, I have only entered Charley thus far as all the Charley data is readily available. Frances is still out of range of my map.

What I am looking into creating is a direct RSS feed from my app to the NOAA weather center so you can get current storm information and put it into the app.

As far as I have found so far, no one weather service really gives all the information needed in any type of format that the important stuff is easily gleaned or scraped for entering into the database.

I have been in contact with NOAA and they are not interested in changing anything they do right now for some ol' Palm application. Sigh...

They database format is pretty simple and I will look into doing an import function for CVS or TAB delimited data. I've never done an import frunction before but then I had never done a map application before my tracker application either.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
  10.    #10  
    If you look in one of cash_70s posts earlier he gave the NOAA link for direct updates to the Treo through the browser.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    I saw cash70's suggestion. However, this is not a "direct" input method. It would require a fair bit of cutting and pasting from a very tiny 160x160 email application into your app -- not my idea of fun, or fast? Might as well turn on the TV or radio :-)

Just my $0.02... Thanks for your ear.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by kd_cooke
    I saw cash70's suggestion. However, this is not a "direct" input method. It would require a fair bit of cutting and pasting from a very tiny 160x160 email application into your app -- not my idea of fun, or fast? Might as well turn on the TV or radio :-)

Just my $0.02... Thanks for your ear.
    You are correct in that it ain't always easy being a Treo user and writing apps that try and make our day to day living easier as we try and stay connected to whatever.

However, things will get better for all of us one of these days.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Quote Originally Posted by quickster
    All entered data is plotted on the map as long as it is within the confines of the map coordinates. The map is limited to 60 to 100 degrees of longitude and 10 to 50 degrees of latitude. It is centered when first displayed but can be scrolled or panned. See the notes above on how to scroll or pan the map.
    I noticed while tracking Frances that the map does not display tracking until it reaches 61.0. I even tried 60.9 and it doesn't show up on the map. However, it does accept the numbers on the "Long." field. No big deal. Just thought you might want to know.

Quickster:

I live in Puerto Rico and Hurricane Frances is only a few hours away, although it is expected to (hopefully) graze us with tropical storm strength. This app is especially useful down here as we go through this same s*** a number of times every year. Now when a storm finally hits and electric power goes out, I can keep tracking it through my T600.

I just started playing with the app, but already have a suggestion: please include a way to beam a specific storm database to share with other Palm OS users.

Thanks again!

Regards,
    Josť

Palm IIIx -> m505 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Or you could go here on your Treo (WAP): http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.wml
    Air Data

Thanks, I am in FL and will use this.

SPG
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    No problem :-) Hope you guys luck out...not meaning to wish it on anyone else but you guys really don't need another one right now!
    Heres another good site to find the coordinates on the Treo
    Weather Underground Tropical Storms Page
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by JFReyes
    Quickster:

I live in Puerto Rico and Hurricane Frances is only a few hours away, although it is expected to (hopefully) graze us with tropical storm strength. This app is especially useful down here as we go through this same s*** a number of times every year. Now when a storm finally hits and electric power goes out, I can keep tracking it through my T600.

I just started playing with the app, but already have a suggestion: please include a way to beam a specific storm database to share with other Palm OS users.

Thanks again!

Regards,
    Very good idea about being able to beam a database. I will add the beaming option to the next release.

I have already added different colors for the storm categories, automatically figure the category of the storm according to the wind speed and showing the wind speed when you tap one of your tracking points.

As well, the export function is working and I am trying to get the import function finished. Should post one update tomorrow.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
  20.    #20  
    Welcome to the first major update of my hurricane tracking application called Tracker.

Tracker 3.5

First off, make sure you check your preferences as I added an additional choice.

On the tracking map you will now see a different color marker dependent upon the category classification of the storm/hurricane. The colors are:
    Light Blue = Tropical storm;
    Orange/Yellow = Category 1;
    Just Green = Category 2;
    Dark Blue = Category 3;
    Deep Purple = Category 4;
    Bright Red = Category 5.

Now then, these colors were chosen based upon intensity of some unique scale I came across several years ago when doing research into User Interfaces and what makes a difference, and is easily discernable, for the average user of computers and handheld devices.

Changed the wind speed to where it is only entered and displayed in miles per hours (MPH) since we here in the United States are pretty much familiar with miles per hour and besides that, all the weather feeds I have found give the speed in MPH.

After you have entered a valid wind speed and then move to another field the category type of the storm is calculated dependent solely upon the wind speed since wind speed appears to be the big determining factor.

When you tap on a tracking point you now see the Latitude, Longitude and Wind Speed.

You can now beam a storm database to a friend or cohort or whomever. Of course, both of you must be running Tracker.

You can export your entered storm data to the memo pad in a CVS format. Still working on the import function and not sure when I will get that one finished cause I have not done an import function yet. But as I mentioned, I had not done a mapping application before this one either.

Added a new menu item called Data with the following selections:
    Import Storm Data
    Export Storm Data
    --------------------
    Beam Storm Database

Okay, that's about it for this release. One more thing, and as I mentioned at the start, make sure you check your preferences as I added an additional choice.

I have also included my latest Frances database for those interested.

The zipped file contains everything including documentation.

I found a minor bug and fixed it and moved the downloadable files further down in the thread. Sigh...
    Last edited by quickster; 09/01/2004 at 10:37 AM.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast