Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
Results 121 to 139 of 139
  1.    #121  
    Okay, there are a few things in this update that somehow got omitted in the last update.
    Fixed the problem with using the d-Pad such that it sets the category when you move to the next field.
    Added rename function.
    Now displays the heading and speed on the track map.
    Probably a few more I forgot as well.
    Forgot, if you tap the heading column you can see the speed on the main screen.

    Have not added the island marking just yet as I am still trying to figure out how best to implement that portion.

    The zip file contains all the hurricane databases done by myself and Greg Marrs. Added one or two more. Anybody else do any they want to send let me know.

    This was the worst hurricane for us thus far. Suffered major roof damage and as a result of that, lots of water damage in the garage and two bedrooms. And my biggest fear is we have two months to go in this season and I have a feeling there will be a couple more storms.

    I hope others fared better than us but by looking at the news reports I know there were those who suffered more and my heart goes out to them.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
  2. #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by quickster
    Okay, there are a few things in this update that somehow got omitted in the last update.
    Fixed the problem with using the d-Pad such that it sets the category when you move to the next field.
    Added rename function.
    Now displays the heading and speed on the track map.
    Probably a few more I forgot as well.
    Forgot, if you tap the heading column you can see the speed on the main screen.

    Have not added the island marking just yet as I am still trying to figure out how best to implement that portion.

    The zip file contains all the hurricane databases done by myself and Greg Marrs. Added one or two more. Anybody else do any they want to send let me know.

    This was the worst hurricane for us thus far. Suffered major roof damage and as a result of that, lots of water damage in the garage and two bedrooms. And my biggest fear is we have two months to go in this season and I have a feeling there will be a couple more storms.

    I hope others fared better than us but by looking at the news reports I know there were those who suffered more and my heart goes out to them.
    Hi again, Quickster:

    I feel for your loss, hope you can get back on your feet ASAP; I've been there, so I know what it's like. My family down in Boynton Beach fared much better, thank goodness. I also have the same bad feeling, that this isn't over yet.

    How about using the same tooltip technique used to identify the cities in the City Time app? That's cool...

    Thanks again and good luck, man.
    Josť

    Palm IIIx -> m505 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p
  3.    #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by JFReyes
    Hi again, Quickster:

    I feel for your loss, hope you can get back on your feet ASAP; I've been there, so I know what it's like. My family down in Boynton Beach fared much better, thank goodness. I also have the same bad feeling, that this isn't over yet.

    How about using the same tooltip technique used to identify the cities in the City Time app? That's cool...

    Thanks again and good luck, man.
    Thanks much Jose and that's a good idea about the way City Time does there identifying.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
  4. #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by quickster
    Okay, there are a few things in this update that somehow got omitted in the last update.
    Fixed the problem with using the d-Pad such that it sets the category when you move to the next field.
    Added rename function.
    Now displays the heading and speed on the track map.
    Probably a few more I forgot as well.
    Forgot, if you tap the heading column you can see the speed on the main screen.

    Have not added the island marking just yet as I am still trying to figure out how best to implement that portion.

    The zip file contains all the hurricane databases done by myself and Greg Marrs. Added one or two more. Anybody else do any they want to send let me know.

    This was the worst hurricane for us thus far. Suffered major roof damage and as a result of that, lots of water damage in the garage and two bedrooms. And my biggest fear is we have two months to go in this season and I have a feeling there will be a couple more storms.

    I hope others fared better than us but by looking at the news reports I know there were those who suffered more and my heart goes out to them.
    quickster, I know how you feel. I am in West Palm Beach....we got our *** handed to us, but considering I guess it could have been alot worse. Hurricane Frances caused us to not have power, water, phones (or internet) for over a week on each. Let's hope it doesn't take that long this time.
  5. #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by quickster
    Thanks much Jose and that's a good idea about the way City Time does there identifying.
    Quickster:

    You're welcome. I thought a bit more about the City Time location identification, and it might interfere with a plot point over land, especially on the Smaller Antilles. Perhaps you could require a double-tap, a shortcut stroke (those are hard for me to do, though) or something like that to bring up the island name.
    Josť

    Palm IIIx -> m505 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p
  6.    #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by JFReyes
    Quickster:

    You're welcome. I thought a bit more about the City Time location identification, and it might interfere with a plot point over land, especially on the Smaller Antilles. Perhaps you could require a double-tap, a shortcut stroke (those are hard for me to do, though) or something like that to bring up the island name.
    Since I have been using tap and hold functionality on several other projects of mine I would most like use something along that line. Works pretty well as all you do is tap an area and then hold it for a few milliseconds.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
  7. #127  
    Hi all:

    I hope everyone who was affected by September's rash of storms is recovering well. Not to bring about any bad luck, but I'm enjoying this break in the season.

    Regards,
    Josť

    Palm IIIx -> m505 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p
  8. Fittske's Avatar
    Posts
    607 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #128  
    Just bumping this thread in lau of the upcomming Hurricane Season. I havent tried it on my 650 yet but it worked great on my 600. Be Safe all in coastal areas.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
  9. Fittske's Avatar
    Posts
    607 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #129  
    App seems to work fine on the 650. All scrolling and 5way nav works good! Only complaint or suggestion is to upgrade the tracking maps to hi-res. Other than that...still an excellent app!
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
  10. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    Just bumping this thread in lau of the upcomming Hurricane Season. I havent tried it on my 650 yet but it worked great on my 600. Be Safe all in coastal areas.
    Great call on the bump.
  11. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #131  
    You know what would be cool is if Tracker could download it's info and images from The National Hurricane Center.
  12.    #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    You know what would be cool is if Tracker could download it's info and images from The National Hurricane Center.
    I tried last year to find some sort of download service but all the big weather stations wanted like $1500 a month for their service and I sure was not going to fork over that kind of money for a freeware application.

    Then there is the problem of gleaning the most meaningful information from all the stuff that would actually come down from a site.

    Maybe something will happen this year.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
  13. Fittske's Avatar
    Posts
    607 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by quickster
    I tried last year to find some sort of download service but all the big weather stations wanted like $1500 a month for their service and I sure was not going to fork over that kind of money for a freeware application.

    Then there is the problem of gleaning the most meaningful information from all the stuff that would actually come down from a site.

    Maybe something will happen this year.
    Hey quickster,

    Is there any way that you can upgrade the map resoloution to better utilize the hi-res 650 screen? Also it would be cool if you could add a projected storm path function..

    Great work!
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
  14. Fittske's Avatar
    Posts
    607 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #134  
    quickster,

    Don't know if it would be helpful, but the NHC now offers RSS feeds of storm information. More here:http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutrss.shtml
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
  15. #135  
    Hey Quickster,

    Welcome back. Long time no post.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  16. Fittske's Avatar
    Posts
    607 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #136  
    quickster,

    Check this site out:

    http://hurricane.terrapin.com/

    This site has a lot of information....

    Here is all of the Data on Dennis from the site:

    TROPICAL DEPRESSION FOUR, Jul 4 2005 11:00PM , 12.5, -63.1, 25, 1010
    TROPICAL STORM DENNIS, Jul 5 2005 11:00AM , 13.3, -66.6, 35, 1006
    TROPICAL STORM DENNIS, Jul 5 2005 5:00PM , 14.2, -68.3, 35, 1005
    TROPICAL STORM DENNIS, Jul 5 2005 11:00PM , 14.6, -69.2, 45, 1000
    TROPICAL STORM DENNIS, Jul 6 2005 5:00AM , 15.1, -70.3, 55, 994
    TROPICAL STORM DENNIS, Jul 6 2005 11:00AM , 15.4, -71.5, 60, 991
    TROPICAL STORM DENNIS, Jul 6 2005 5:00PM , 16.0, -72.5, 55, 987
    HURRICANE DENNIS, Jul 6 2005 6:00PM , 16.1, -72.5, 70, 985
    HURRICANE DENNIS, Jul 6 2005 11:00PM , 16.5, -73.4, 75, 980
    HURRICANE DENNIS, Jul 7 2005 5:00AM , 17.0, -74.6, 80, 970
    HURRICANE DENNIS, Jul 7 2005 11:00AM , 18.0, -75.6, 90, 968
    HURRICANE DENNIS, Jul 7 2005 5:00PM , 19.0, -76.6, 100, 957
    HURRICANE DENNIS, Jul 7 2005 11:00PM , 19.9, -77.6, 115, 950
    HURRICANE DENNIS, Jul 8 2005 5:00AM , 20.7, -79.1, 115, 950
    HURRICANE DENNIS, Jul 8 2005 11:00AM , 21.4, -79.9, 130, 938
    HURRICANE DENNIS, Jul 8 2005 5:00PM , 22.6, -81.1, 115, 949

    I have attatched the database of the above info for anyone who wants it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Fittske; 07/09/2005 at 08:48 AM.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
  17. #137  
    Hi Quickster:

    Once again hurricane season is upon us, so I recategorized Tracker from 'Unfiled' to 'Main' and started tracking TD5, now TS Emily.

    The NWS started tracking it before it entered the program's longitude range, so unfortunately I couldn't enter the data. I remember from last year that you limited the range because of the graphics, so perhaps this year you can expand upon that, or at least allow the entry of the easternmost longitudes in the Atlantic even though they will not display in the graph. The reason is that here in the Caribbean we start watching these storms the moment they leave the west coast of Africa, and by the time the storm enters the program's longitude range, it's already very close to us.

    One more suggestion: the NWS describes the storms' direction as compass headings (W, WNW, etc.) but Tracker expects a numeric entry, as in degrees of arc. Perhaps you could update Tracker to use the NWS terms; it would be easier for us that have a hard time converting from WNW to 158 degrees

    Thanks again.

    Regards,
    Josť

    Palm IIIx -> m505 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p
  18. #138  
    With hurricane DEAN churning and headed to the Gulf of Mexico and possibly south/southeast Texas, it is nice to know that this little app by Carl Quick is still alive and well for FREE on www.thequickster.com

    I have had version 4.5 for about 3 years and just downloaded version 4.7.

    Thanks Carl!
    "Arguing with a police officer is like mud wrestling a pig.
    Eventually you realize that the pig likes it."
  19.    #139  
    I still use it every year and do a little work on it to clean up a few things here and there.

    I still have never been able to get a weather station to provide me a feed to make it a more automatic. Just don't understand that because I told them I would even give them advertisement space in my about page.

    Oh well, it works entering the data manually and hopefully we won't need it too much this season.

    Thanks very much for the post about Hurricane Tracker.

    Carl
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Posting Permissions