Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    hey quickster,wont let me dwnload prc or zip file directly to treo, I even have handzipper... help!j
    fellow floridian
    For some reason I think this is a problem with the Treo Central downloading function and not something I can control.

The only help I could offer is for you to send me an eMail to cquick@earthlink.net and then I can send it to you.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    The only browser for the Treo that I have found that will download files properly from TreoCentral is WebPro from PalmOne. There are links in some threads on this board or if you search google for "Treo WebPro download" it should be the first link.

Keith
    Quote Originally Posted by treomojo
    I think it would be pretty cool to have a "zoom" function to the map.

Just my .02.........keep the change
    Hi again:

A zoom function would be great, but I would settle for a data filter that would only show specific advisories. You see, NOAA puts out 8 advisories a day, 4 "official" (at 5AM, 11AM, 5PM, 11PM) and 4 "intermediate" (at 2AM, 8AM, 2PM, 8PM). If one enters all of them, the display is cluttered because the points might be too close together for the low resolution of the T600, depending on the speed of movement of the storm.

I usually don't pay too much attention to what the local weatherpeople say, and instead go directly to the source, NOAA. Therefore, it seems to me that the following suggestions would make the app more "official":

1. Only allow time entry at the NOAA designated times, perhaps using a lookup list. Not having to fool around with the Palm OS clock saves time. The time itself determines whether it's an official or intermediate advisory.

2. Add an alphanumeric field for the advisory number (Frances is up to 35 as of 11AM today; at 2PM it will be advisory 35A). This is useful for fast lookups of additional data like maps and probabilities.

3. Add fields for current speed of movement and heading. That way I don't have to wait for the next advisory and can "guesstimate" how long and where it'll make landfall (or "islandfall" in my case [P.R.], although I'm also interested in Florida because I have family there).

4. To compensate for the low resolution screen, add a zoom to the map. Moreover, only display the points in the map per the user selection "official", "intermediate", or "all".

My additional $0.02 now makes it $0.04 total .

I'm willing to pay money for this app if it keeps evolving this nicely
    Josť

Palm IIIx -> m505 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p
    quickster, please sen tracker & frances db to
    jmcdermott75@sprintpcs.com
    btw..never have prob dwnld from "my treo.net" please post updates there also.
    Hi,

Downloaded the latest software of Tracker and the Frances and Charley .pdb files.

Thanks for creating this.

I signed up for the auto emails from NOAA for the atlantic region and am trying to decipher the info to put in your program. In particular, for Pressure, you have data like. 9.3 and the Noaa email says minimum pressure is 959mb. ??? I don't understand what pressure is nor do i understand the data from your info or NOAAs. Can you please clarify or let me know is there somewhere else to get whatever it is i need to input? Oh, no, ... here comes another noaa email...

And the email doesn't state what category it currently is.

In a perfect world, i'd love a more automated .pdb system where everytime i hotsync, it automatically grabs the latest info and updates the treo. I use Avantgo and it is great for that type of thing. I either grab the latest news headlines from Fark, or other newspapers as well as the latest Southern California swell model for Scuba Diving.

Thanks again for this interesting app.

Stevo
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo4
    Hi,

Downloaded the latest software of Tracker and the Frances and Charley .pdb files.

Thanks for creating this.

I signed up for the auto emails from NOAA for the atlantic region and am trying to decipher the info to put in your program. In particular, for Pressure, you have data like. 9.3 and the Noaa email says minimum pressure is 959mb. ??? I don't understand what pressure is nor do i understand the data from your info or NOAAs. Can you please clarify or let me know is there somewhere else to get whatever it is i need to input? Oh, no, ... here comes another noaa email...

And the email doesn't state what category it currently is.
    Thanks again for this interesting app.

Stevo
    Stevo,

Make sure you first setup your preferences. You can either enter the wind speed in knots or MPH and the pressure can be in millibars or inches of mercury.

I use this web site, http://hurricane.terrapin.com/, for getting most of my data. It is a direct copy of the NOAA data only it is a little bit easier to read without gleaning all the pertinent facts from the NOAA advisories. Click on the the current hurricane, Frances in this case. And then on the next page in the lower right there is a link for ASCII data. From there on out it is pretty easy.

Now then, after you enter the wind speed and move to the next field it will calculate the category for you. Pretty easy huh?

I think that should get you going.

The real problem with the NOAA feeds is that the important data is scattered throught the text and not neatly organized into a nice littel table.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    "The real problem with the NOAA feeds is that the important data is scattered throught the text and not neatly organized into a nice littel table."

Hehe... all depends on which of the information you consider important!

P.S. Quickster! Are you all set for Frances? Looks like it could be quite wet there in the next few days. Take care of yourself... and stick to the high ground.
    Thanks for the other link. Very interesting.

So, is there an easy way to streamline this into a more push/pull hotsync rather than manually inputting the info in? Just call me lazy.

stevo
    I've been adding in the info to the tracker since yesterday, but only see 3 points on the map. Is there a limit to the number of points you can see given the small screen?

Thanks,
    stevo
    I have about 10 points on for Frances already

1. make sure you are scrolled over to the area of interest
    2. only information west of 60W longitude will show up (IVAN is still off the map)
    3. the resolution of plotting appears to be 1 degree, so if there is less than 1 degree between points, they will not be differentiated
    Why do you suppose the information i'm getting from NOAA emails automatically, when plotted with Tracker, seems to be behind what the websites and tv shows?

My latest plot point shows the Center just hitting the east coast, yet the websites and tv stations show it at the center or even closer to the west coast now.

Any ideas?

stevo
    What a great piece of software this is. Sure has helped to pass the time here in Melbourne, FL. Can't wait till Ivan can show up on the map. Job well done quickster!
    Up the Creek.... Try the River!
    www.riverontheweb.com

Moblog: bluefrog.textamerica.com
  13.    #53  
    Here is an update to Tracker that does a couple of things.
    1) Since the major updates from NOAA come every six hours starting at 5:00am then 11:00am, 5:00pm and then 11:00pm I modified the time pick list for those times but still allowing you to select another time if you so desire.
    2) Added a zoom feature allowing you to zoom in on an area by tapping the map or tapping the magnifying glass icon.

I have also included my latest database of Frances with her last coordinates from 5:00pm.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Let me first say Quickster, you're a good person for taking on this task! Since moving to the Carolina's from the North East, I've had a healthy interest in hurricanes And I'm a bit suprised no one has taken on the task sooner!

But in the interest in providing some critical customer feedback, I'm compelled to offer my $.02. Please take it merely as one man's oppinion.

Given that this is a Treo community and we're all able to play on the Net with our cool gadget phones, I feel that not adding a wireless component to Tracker is taking it the wrong direction. Without direct connectivity to a download, or some automated scraping of the NOAA emails, I find this app severely limited. Put another way, if my mom can't easily use it, the love affair will wear, leaving us with a burdensome app that requires constant attention... Given the time and attention you've put into this, I'd hate to see this happen.

I mean no desrespect to your efforts and current offereing. Thanks for listening.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Not sure if this has been asked...but have you thought about giving the app the ability to download info from one of the tracking web sites? The user could hit an "update" button and the app would go to the website and automaticaly download info and upload it to the program. That would trully make this a killer app!
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    Not sure if this has been asked...but have you thought about giving the app the ability to download info from one of the tracking web sites? The user could hit an "update" button and the app would go to the website and automaticaly download info and upload it to the program. That would trully make this a killer app!
    I am really not too sure if some of you understand the burden of gleaning hurricane information from NOAA, Storm Tracker or any of the other various weather feeds. It is no easy task as none of these feeds provide data in a consistant format. In fact there is only one or two that I have found that even provide an RSS feed. As I mentioned in a previous post, none of them provide this data in a neat little compact table. And scraping HTML data from a web site is beyond what I ever intended for this application. Try doing that some time and get an idea of what it is all about.

Originally, for the purpose of using it in this app, I started writing an XML parser for the Palm that was compact and yet provided everything needed. That proved to be a very daunting task. So then, when I finally finished the XML parser, finding a good RSS feed has proved even more difficult.

I contacted NOAA about their RSS feed and there was absolutely no interest on their part of modifying their data for a handful of Treo users.

So, if anyone has some secret weather information web site that provides the needed data in a clean format that is easy to parse, let me know.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Quote Originally Posted by quickster
    I am really not too sure if some of you understand the burden of gleaning hurricane information from NOAA, Storm Tracker or any of the other various weather feeds. It is no easy task as none of these feeds provide data in a consistant format. In fact there is only one or two that I have found that even provide an RSS feed. As I mentioned in a previous post, none of them provide this data in a neat little compact table. And scraping HTML data from a web site is beyond what I ever intended for this application. Try doing that some time and get an idea of what it is all about.

Originally, for the purpose of using it in this app, I started writing an XML parser for the Palm that was compact and yet provided everything needed. That proved to be a very daunting task. So then, when I finally finished the XML parser, finding a good RSS feed has proved even more difficult.

I contacted NOAA about their RSS feed and there was absolutely no interest on their part of modifying their data for a handful of Treo users.

So, if anyone has some secret weather information web site that provides the needed data in a clean format that is easy to parse, let me know.
    The Quickster - How much fun can you take?

Did you ask Joe Bastardi of AccuWeather's Hurricane Center?

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/adc...er=accuweather

AccuWeather may have a $incere %nterest.

or

They may recommend a Penn State grad student w/grant funding.

~ Carl aka ArcBody
    I have a suggestion, offer this program in a shareware environment, as I would buy two copies, one for my Treo 600, and one for my Sony Clie T688C.

Also, Ivan is now at 59.4 at 8am EST Tuesday Sept. 7, 2004, one more reading should put it on the Tracker Map.

Excellence Program

Greg

Houston, Texas
    Hello Quickster, just a heads up

I Loaded your Ver. 4.0 and went to export Frances and I got this

A Storm Called: Frances
    Date: 9/7/04
    5,17:00,8/30/04,19.5,19.5,125,948,,
    5,23:00,8/30/04,19.7,19.7,125,945,,
    6,5:00,8/31/04,19.9,19.9,125,949,,
    6,11:00,8/31/04,20.0,20.0,135,950,,
    6,17:00,8/31/04,20.5,20.5,140,939,,
    6,23:00,8/31/04,20.8,20.8,140,939,,

If you'll notice that your Long. data column is being populated with Lat. numbers.

Thanks

Greg
    Houston, Texas
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Just wanted to chime in here with information that might convinve a company to "help you out". I agree with the suggestion of Accuweather. Their pro weather site is fast becoming THE insurance information center. And that I believe is where you might want to concentrate some of your marketing efforts. My husband works in Catastrophe insurance and this time of year, we live and die by hurricane tracking. And I can tell you there are literally thousands of people who work in the insurance field that would pay $$$ for a palm app that will help them better get the people where they are needed after a hurricane hits.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast