Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I've started more travel with my job, and it seems I have a repeatable problem. My phone works fine at my city/state.. Getting on a plane, or going on a long trip where coverage is minimal, eventually the phone is taken off the network. No problem. but when I reach my destination, if I try to put the phone back on the network, it reboots! consistently.. the only way I have found to fix it is to do a device restore from a backup made before I traveled..

When I return home, SAME THING.. I have to do a restore from prior to a travel. At one point I think I restored all the "network" files from a backup and I was able to get the phone back on the network.

I have the latest Firmware 1.20 sprint, Hardware rev C.

Any ideas/ suggestions? I've just returned from a trip with this problem.. It kind of defeats the purpose of a cell phone
    Quote Originally Posted by cocokola
    I've started more travel with my job, and it seems I have a repeatable problem. My phone works fine at my city/state.. Getting on a plane, or going on a long trip where coverage is minimal, eventually the phone is taken off the network. No problem. but when I reach my destination, if I try to put the phone back on the network, it reboots! consistently.. the only way I have found to fix it is to do a device restore from a backup made before I traveled..

When I return home, SAME THING.. I have to do a restore from prior to a travel. At one point I think I restored all the "network" files from a backup and I was able to get the phone back on the network.

I have the latest Firmware 1.20 sprint, Hardware rev C.

Any ideas/ suggestions? I've just returned from a trip with this problem.. It kind of defeats the purpose of a cell phone

I have just the the exact same problem on a trip this past weekend. I still have yet to get my phone back to normal.

Can you tell me how you restored the 'network' files, or whatever else you had to do to get things to work? I am at the same firmware level
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I use backupman and tried to restore only the files named like network, for example net prefs) etc.. but this didn't solve the problem for me this time.

I've tried several restores to no avail. I tried a hard reset.. it finally was able to send/receive calls, but as soon as I tried to sync with my PC it would get 1/2 done and then continually reboot.

I stopped by the sprint store, explained the problem, and they gave me a new treo. All is well so far.
    Interesting. I was able to get mine to sync properly, with all my data back on it (after a hard reset) and it would function fine, EXCEPT, I could not turn on wireless mode. It would reset when trying. The only way to turn on wireless mode was to do a hard reset.

I have also noticed that while it is trying to turn on wireless mode, it does not reset until it flashes the LED once (which normally indicates connectivity) I do not know enough about the software and connection process to know specifically where this means it is in the process.

I can say that when doing a ##377, it tells me:

A crash occurred on
    8/30/04 at 11:54am
    while running "Phone":

MemoryMgr.c,
    Line:3635, NULL handle

Is it possible to replace the Phone application? Perhaps something got corrupted? Perhaps a sprint software guru can make more of that information?

Any other travellers want to chime in on this? I guess next time I travel, I will NOT turn off wireless mode?
    Last edited by cosmic; 09/01/2004 at 08:38 AM.
    I talked to Sprint folks to troubleshoot the problem.

Once I got to the Data Support group, they had me do a ##774 which reportedly erases all the IP information on the phone. This required what I believe is a master code.

I then had to reprovision Vision services

We tested the web, and it was working, and then I sync'd all my data.
    This time it came up in wireless and everything seems to work fine.

So, it seems that ##774 and reprovisioning vision fixes the problem.

The other good thing is that Sprint has a record of this happening. I am traveling again on Thursday, so we shall see what happens. I may leave my phone in wireless mode on, just to compare. If it happens again, I will report it to Sprint again, in hopes that a fix for this will be in the next update.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Excellent work Cosmic! Although I did get a new phone (this is probably by 6th since I originally purchased the Treo 600 when it was released.. all were replaced due to other problems - speaker failure, etc) I would have liked to try your solution. I will be traveling again in a few weeks, so I'll let you know if I see this again, and if so I'll try the ##774 and see what happens.

I considered doing a hard-reset wipe (whatever you call the three-button "disconnect the battery from the phone"..) that basically puts the phone in a factory-delivered state, but I wasn't sure if I would need Sprint to re-provision the phone.

How did you get to talk with Data Support? I've never successfully been able to get a tech who was familiar with the treo600 enough to do this level of troubleshooting.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by cocokola; 09/06/2004 at 12:11 PM.
    I got a Sprint Treo 600, and added all kinds of things to it after my first trip. So on my second trip, I got off the plane in a different time zone, and tried to turn wireless mode back on and - no doing, just the repeating resets. A hard reset fixed me and I restored everything (minus some great pictures) from my laptop. Had the same problem coming home.

Did a full-on software troubleshoot which I won't get into, but the offending program was a patched "phone.prc" application from this web site:http://67.19.190.247/phoneskins/phoneskins.html

After removing the patched file, I've not had another wireless-mode-related crash. Hope this helps you out!

Ed (http://www.rezonate.com/walkabout/whatsonmytreo600.html)
    -------------------
    Here's another site explaining the same problem: http://discuss.treocentral.com/archi...p/t-54501.html
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    ebeale,
    thanks for the info. I while ago I did install that app. I deleted it from my phone and hopefully this is the root cause.