Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Looking at the Bluetake i-Phono (which I keep debating on) and it got me thinking. Why doesn't someone develop a better dongle for the Treo. Here's what I mean. Rather than having a dongle that flops around with a wire, make a flush model similar to how certain things attach to the top of iPods. This dongle can attach flush to the bottom of the Treo by connecting to both the headset jack and the docking port to make it pretty secure. Also allow it to use the standard charging cables that can charge both the Treo and dongle.

By making the Treo a longer "canybar", it seems like the best we can do without native A2DP. Granted I hate the fact that all of our cases wouldn't work well with this but still a much better design.

I'm surprised that a company like Seideo hasn't made this! They could OEM with a company like BlueTake and just work on the new dongle. Then sell a couple cases for extra profit like an armband and waste clip...

This is how I always visioned the 802.11b thing as well but that turned into this huge sled so maybe I'm just dreaming....
    Quote Originally Posted by manielse
    Looking at the Bluetake i-Phono (which I keep debating on) and it got me thinking. Why doesn't someone develop a better dongle for the Treo. Here's what I mean. Rather than having a dongle that flops around with a wire, make a flush model similar to how certain things attach to the top of iPods. This dongle can attach flush to the bottom of the Treo by connecting to both the headset jack and the docking port to make it pretty secure. Also allow it to use the standard charging cables that can charge both the Treo and dongle.

By making the Treo a longer "canybar", it seems like the best we can do without native A2DP. Granted I hate the fact that all of our cases wouldn't work well with this but still a much better design.

I'm surprised that a company like Seideo hasn't made this! They could OEM with a company like BlueTake and just work on the new dongle. Then sell a couple cases for extra profit like an armband and waste clip...

This is how I always visioned the 802.11b thing as well but that turned into this huge sled so maybe I'm just dreaming....

Makes sense. Although, if the device supported A2DP natively, it would be better integrated with the other device functions.. like switching from stereo music to the telephone, etc.

I use my Bluetake paired to it's dongle (for music). To Treo, it is as if I was using a corded headphones. If I pair the Bluetake to the Treo, it will be good for phone conversation only ... not something I do.

So, your suggestion (glorified dongle) is still a major compromise... I use my shorts with those gigantic pockets to hold the Treo and the Dongle, no bid whup. Or put the Treo+dongle on the table (at work) or floor (at gym).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Does Windows Mobile support Bluetooth 1.2? I'm thinking about the next Treo of course. What about the Bluetooth docking sled for the 600?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by manielse

I couldnt agree with you more on this. Esp since theres been SO many ppl complaining about their headphone jack going on their treos, if they made something that actually plugged into the sync connector and made it nice and flush with the bottom of the case (similiar to an iTrip on the iPod) I would pick this up in a second....

**cough-seidio-cough**
  5.    #45  
    I see that the new Palm TX still only has BT1.1! Looks like Palm just can't step up to the plate with this one, for whatever reason.

Palm if you're reading this, WE WANT BT 1.2!!!!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
  6.    #46  
    The BT Stereo Headset is here, now we just need Palm to step up to the plate and give us BT1.2!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Just read a head to head comparison article in PC Mag between POS and Windows Mobile. It said that Windows Mobile 5.0 did not support Bluetooth stereo either but that Microsoft is saying that an upgrade to Bluetooth 2.0 is in the plans for a feature pack release.

It made me remember back to when there were updates to POS. Remember when you could but the newest version and upgrade your PDA?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  8.    #48  
    Has anyone had any luck with this headset yet? This would be perfect!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Doesn't have a dongle, so you would be limited to devices that actually transmit A2DP stereo music.. But being able to play MP3 on SD cards independent of any player sounds like a good feature... As is the FM radio.
    Last edited by aprasad; 11/08/2005 at 01:36 PM. Reason: more info
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    Looks almost exactly like http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/shop...pno~550514.asp which I could not get to pair the phone side with my 650. Of course forget pairing the stereo side....

What I found with the headphones I mentioned above is that they were too heavy to do things like run anyways not to mention the controls were annoying to use. I liked the concept of putting in a SD card in phones but it just work well for me. (...another gadget I wasted money on)
    I went ahead and ordered the Omiz headset to see what it can do. I'll report back. It's $130 or so from www.GlobalBatteries.com
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Yes, I bought it and paired it with my Jabra A210, it worked for about a month before it broke. It was nice having the FM radio, as well as the mp3 player. I did not use it to talk on my phone while I had it. The quality with the A210 was only okay, but it was streaming audio, so I can't complain too much. I'm anxiously awaiting my replacement. BTW- That's a good price, I think I spent $150 on it.
    The BT Stereo Headset is here, now we just need Palm to step up to the plate and give us BT1.2!
    I've been following this discussion (and others) for a while with some amusement. It seems that there are many misunderstandings about Bluetooth and the Treo, especially where stereo audio is concerned. So, I thought it might be helpful to address some of those issues:

1) A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) is a Bluetooth profile ( or application) that is independent of the version of the layers below. There is no reason that A2DP won't work with Bluetooth 1.1.

2) Bluetooth 1.2 is NOT faster than Bluetooth 1.1. It adds several improvements that deal mostly with link quality, but it is not faster. Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (uh-oh, now everybody is gonna want it) does support speeds up to 3x faster that 1.1 or 1.2. There are not a lot of devices available yet with 2.0+EDR (Enhance Data Rate).

3) Bluetooth stacks consist typically of 2 components, the radio module and the host stack. The radio module in the Treo is made by Broadcom. The host stack in the Treo was developed by Extended Systems, Inc. and integrated by Palm. The Extended Systems stack supports many more profiles than the Palm supports, but Palm has chosen to support a certain core set of applications.

4) Stereo headphones like the Bluetake iPhono, typically support both A2DP for stereo and the Handsfree profile for working with cell phones. The Treo supports the Handsfree profile, and therefore could be used with the iPhono in the same way that it works with other Bluetooth headsets (like the Jabra).

5) A2DP is possible on the Treo, but would require a bit of work by some smart and enterprising engineer. Palm could also provide this.

6) Listening to music on the Treo with a Handsfree headset is not likely to ever happen.

Paesano
    Quote Originally Posted by paesano
    4) Stereo headphones like the Bluetake iPhono, typically support both A2DP for stereo and the Handsfree profile for working with cell phones. The Treo supports the Handsfree profile, and therefore could be used with the iPhono in the same way that it works with other Bluetooth headsets (like the Jabra).
    I have iPhono and use it mainly for music, using their dongle in the Treo's headphone jack.

Will I be able to do that and simultaneously pair it with the Treo in the Handsfree profile mode? Will that let me interrupt the music (via the dongle) and receive/make calls via the Treo's native BT profile?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM

6) Listening to music on the Treo with a Handsfree headset is not likely to ever happen.

Paesano

Because PALM won't provide the drivers ?.
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I have iPhono and use it mainly for music, using their dongle in the Treo's headphone jack.

Will I be able to do that and simultaneously pair it with the Treo in the Handsfree profile mode? Will that let me interrupt the music (via the dongle) and receive/make calls via the Treo's native BT profile?
    I would have to test this to be sure, but in theory it is possible. It may be designed, however, to work only with a device the supports both profiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimzo
    Because PALM won't provide the drivers ?.
    It is a matter of plumbing, really. The hardware makes it difficult, even for Palm.
    I would have to test this to be sure, but in theory it is possible. It may be designed, however, to work only with a device the supports both profiles.
    Please share any tips on using iPhono and the Treo650 (in a separate thread, if neccessary)..
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I'm confused... if I click on the link above to the Plantronics Pulsar 590A BT headset (which looks great), there is a menu on the right to "test" compatibility with many phones. If I put in "Palmone," then "Treo 650", it states it IS compatible. So does that imply it is fully compatibile and stereo music will be interrupted for calls correctly with the 650?
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc
    I'm confused... if I click on the link above to the Plantronics Pulsar 590A BT headset (which looks great), there is a menu on the right to "test" compatibility with many phones. If I put in "Palmone," then "Treo 650", it states it IS compatible. So does that imply it is fully compatibile and stereo music will be interrupted for calls correctly with the 650?
    Unfortunately Not!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123