Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm looking for a cheap Bible program for a Treo.

I've looked at "St John Reader" on the PalmGear website. It not only has two translations of the Bible but also a few other Christian books (such as St. Augustine's "Confessions"). Has anybody else seen or used this program?

It looks to be pretty new (and cheap) but I haven't downloaded it yet. What other recommendations do you have?
    St. John Reader is new and I'll check it out. It is priced well at $5 but doesn't have any documentation - does it support expansion cards?

These all do support expansion cards:

MyBible - not free but excellent. It is my favorite because of its speed and upgrade policies and support for 5-way navigation..
    BibleThumper - not free but one of the best if you need lots of reference materials.
    Bible+ (palmbible plus) - 100% FREE and the absolute best for having the most translations and features.
    Olivetree's BibleReader - has many free translations but is slower, relative to Bible+, IMO.

I find the free ones to be less stable than the others.
    Last edited by Beryl; 08/28/2004 at 03:42 PM.
    Not necessarily cheap, but a good product, the NIV bible by Zondervan Publishing. Ben
    markmyscriptures is at www.skimware.com. It's more expensive ($17.50), but is very, very fast at locating specific bible references. It also works with the SD card.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    On my Clie I used Bible Plus. It was free. I haven't verified that it works on my Treo yet. That will be the next thing I install once I get everything else working - still having Vision issues.

Anyway, Bible Plus has quite a few free versions of the Bible to chose from. You still have to pay if you want NIV due to licensing restrictions but you can get the KJV and the WEB version as well as several others.

This software is great. It lets you look at two bibles side by side. Has a search and go to funtion. Don't have anything bad to say about it and at $0 can't complain.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    You can get a bible reader app and several versions of the Bible for FREE for the Palm OS at: http://olivetree.com/handheld/Palm/PalmBible.html . I purchased the NIV version from Laridian (www.laridian.com) and it is pretty good, nice search functions.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I use olive tree too. It does let you install bibles on the card, but it is a little slow when you do that.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    I use My Bible from Laridian, www.laridian.com. They have about seven or eight translations and a great reader that was formally known as Scripture Reader done by an original Palm software gentleman by the name of David Fedor. He is still at Palm but further up the ladder.

It has an incredible find function. Extremely fast.

Give it a try as I am sure you will find it very good.
    Last edited by quickster; 08/30/2004 at 11:23 AM.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    quickster - I remember that early Scripture Reader program. I forgot that it evolved into "My Bible". Thanks for sharing that tidbit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    quickster - I remember that early Scripture Reader program. I forgot that it evolved into "My Bible". Thanks for sharing that tidbit.
    Not a problem. I still have one of those early versions of Scripture Reader and you know, it still works, with an older KJV transalation. I think it was distributed by Servant Scripture or something like that. David did a great job on it and if I am correct, is still responsible for making most of the updates to it. Could be wrong on that one though.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I use BibleR+ (MKJV) from OliveTree.

Installed on my card and it's not slow at all.
    If you're looking for a comprehensive review of all the major software programs out there, check out this review by Tanker Bob on PDA Buyer's Guide:

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/software/bible.htm

I disagree w/ his final analysis (tried almost all of them, and believe PalmBible+ to be the best), but it's still a great review.

I was also on a beta group of a recently-released new software program call eBible for Palm. You can check out the new website and d/l a trial. It has great potential, and the developers seem to be quick to respond: http://www.ebibleforpalm.com/

I've got 3 programs loaded on my Palm (MyBible, Bible+, and now eBible), with something like 7 translations and 10 commentaries. Use Bible+ extensively (you can convert NIV, NKJ, NASB, etc., for personal use as well, so you have the most options w/ Bible+). But they're all good in their own right...
    I've tried several... this is the best (and free) imo.

http://palmbibleplus.sourceforge.net/
    I've been trying to find a NLT version of the bible for the Palm. Is OliveTree really that slow when running from the card?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey
    I've been trying to find a NLT version of the bible for the Palm. Is OliveTree really that slow when running from the card?
    I was one of the ones who said it was slow. That was back in my 600 days. On the 650 it's pretty peppy.

Download one of their free bibles and try it out before you buy.
    omg i just realized this thread is from 8/30/2004 not 2005. LOL.... in any case I appreciate your input. I'm going to try it and see how it is. You have it installed to the card right?
    I used OliveTree on both my 600 and 650 and would agree it's peppy on the 650. On the 600, it didn't really seem much slower than any other app, so it wasn't a big problem (for me at least). I just learned to page slightly before my eyes reached the end of the screen so that I'd never have to wait for the response lag.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey
    omg i just realized this thread is from 8/30/2004 not 2005. LOL.... in any case I appreciate your input. I'm going to try it and see how it is. You have it installed to the card right?
    Yes, I'm running it off the card. Much faster than off the card on the 600.
    Nice. Is the app on the card as well or installed locally?
    plucker is what I use. It is free and awesome.
    markmyscriptures has the benefit of allowing you to, as the name says, mark your scriptures (underline, highlight, etc.)

Just in case you're still looking a year after writing this...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast