1.    #1  
    Just switching from a Pocket PC to Treo 600. A couple of dumb questions probably:

1) When I open an app like SnapperMail and go somewhere else, does that app shut down? On PPCs, you have to shut every app down manually from the Settings/Memory tab. And if you're not paying attention, you could have 10 apps open sucking computing power without realizing it.

2) The reception icon in the upper right, when there are green arrows pointing right/left, that means you're connected and using minutes? When they turn grey, you're disconnected? Am I correct?

3) When Verizon says they are sending you a message to the Treo, where the hell is it? SMS, MMS, email??? Trying to set up Wireless Sync and it says it's sending me a message with my temp password, but I can't find anywhere.

4) Is it a good idea to do a soft reset every so often to clean out junk that may have been left behind by apps?

Thanks - I promise to help other newbies when I get good on this thing. Love it so far.
    1. it basically shuts down. it current os doesnt do multitasking. some newer progreams will remember where u were at. like snapper, it will remember what email u were in.

4. not really, but it couldn't hurt.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomwalshco
    Just switching from a Pocket PC to Treo 600. A couple of dumb questions probably:
    Dumb q's do not exist. Only dumb answers. And here are mine! ;-)

1) When I open an app like SnapperMail and go somewhere else, does that app shut down? On PPCs, you have to shut every app down manually from the Settings/Memory tab. And if you're not paying attention, you could have 10 apps open sucking computing power without realizing it.
    You do not have to close applications on your Treo. They all continue to run but in a hibernated state. When you switch back to them they wake up and usually continue where you left them.

When you shut of your screen your Treo still runs, but in a power-save mode.

4) Is it a good idea to do a soft reset every so often to clean out junk that may have been left behind by apps?
    Not on Treos since the main memory also is where your apps are stored, and they run in place and are not loaded into runtime memory like a PC.

To keep your Treo clean you either do a backup -> hard reset -> reinstall what you need only when your memory fills up, or you may use an uninstaller application. Or you do as I do - just delete the biggest file you can find that you do not recognice whenever you need to. But keep a backup!

Thanks - I promise to help other newbies when I get good on this thing. Love it so far.
    Mee too! A Treo newbie, but had a Palm Vx earlier. And Treo 650 wannahave now!
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for your replies. Appreciated.
    2) The reception icon in the upper right, when there are green arrows pointing right/left, that means you're connected and using minutes? When they turn grey, you're disconnected? Am I correct?
    Green arrows mean that you are connected to the network and transmitting/receiving data. Grey means that you are connected and not transmitting/receiving. I am not sure about AT&T plans, but with Sprint we have unlimited data. Data minutes are separate from voice minutes.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Get a program called Uninstaller and it will remove the junk that's installed with the apps.
  7.    #7  
    I've got Verizon and after wading through a 78 post thread on another forum realized that email and messages can transmitted using your voice minutes. No data plan needed unless you're downloading some huge pictures or attachments which will kill on the time. Thanks.
    The password Verizon is sending you is to your email address on your computer. The wireless sync with VZ is really nice. I did upgrade to the unlimited data because you will find you use it a lot! Its fun!

I think you will find the Treo with Palm much more user friendly than the PPC. Have fun. Check out treobits and mytreo.net as well. Great sites.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks, but VZ never sent me anything and I've gone through the process 4 times. It did say on the page that a message would be sent to my Treo ???

the treo will reset on it's own plenty of times without your control lol.
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    I called VZ data tech support (ask for them specifically). The had me uninstall and start all over again. It worked beautifully after that and I have had no problems/resets since.
    newbies run the world. for if it were not for newbies, who would pay the geeks to figure the stuff out?
    ~Life is like hockey... You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!~