Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Ok, heres a thought, Lets say that the upcoming Treo does NOT have Wi-Fi, but the next one just around the corner does...will you still buy the Treo 650 or will you wait for the next one...

Rob
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    In your hypothetical will the sdio slot be capable of using the Palm WiFi card?
    actually i don't care about wi-fi or bluetooth...so the answer is yes i'll buy it.
    Makes no difference to me at this point. I want universal connectivity, even if it the "slow" Vision (which is often better than dialup), Sure, if I could just get good old ISDN speed (128k) it would be great. WiFi is no doubt the best standard at this time, but it is FAR from universally available, and unless I can be assured the transition from cellular to wireless will be automatic and transparent, I don't want to be shifting between standards when I'm at Starbucks .

Seriously, we need to help lead the charge by Sprint and Verizon to true broadband data services through your phone - no more searching for hot spots in a sea of arctic ice.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    In your hypothetical will the sdio slot be capable of using the Palm WiFi card?
    Sure, for argument sake, but you do give up storage for the Wifi card
    the Treo 650 will not have wi-fi.

Maybe via sdio card, but that still remains to be seen.

lame, compared to win pc devices, but so it goes.

I just hope the bt is 1.2 and not 1.1
    Well for the sake of argument if it's available through the SD slot, I'm all over it. Sure it requires giving up storage for a minute or two, but it will still be faster to put the wi-fi in and get my info than it will be for me to get it via vision.

I'm still laughing at that "vision is often better than dialup" comment. A Model T Ford is often faster than a bicycle. The problem is that I'm used to driving a Mustang GT at home and at work. To further that analogy, I own a Ferrari (Treo 600 with SDIO slot and wi-fi access) 95% of the time, but some bully has my keys (wi-fi drivers for Treo) and won't let me have them.
    meh, no wifi, i'll live...bt is important to me (as i have been spoiled by my SE T616 and Nokia 3600)...but i mean from what i hear, most of the "errors" in making the treo 600, should be corrected in the ace (should is keyword there)...so i mean if anything that means there is a chance that the wifi card will work...but meh ill live without it
    if wi-fi networks upgrade from the current b-version to the faster g-version, you simply change the card and not the whole fone ... but by then I'm probably the victim of another buying spree of this and that new fone ... well, who cares.
    I don't care about battery sucking WiFi. I just want data everywhere I go...even if it's not fast like WiFi. Bluetooth I want...but WiFi...nah...
    the treo 650 will not have wifi, as was said before, but they are actively working on a compatible driver for the sdio wifi card.. keep your eyes open guys..
    Does this mean the SDIO slot will operate at full power?
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    I'm already sold. I'm with Sprint so the data is fast enough for me. If not, there's always my laptop. Bring on the ACE/650/Whatever!!!
    Don't care at all about WiFi. I have a laptop for that. I want hi-res screen and bluetooth. Will DEFINITELY buy the 650!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    i do believe so. didnt get a chance to test any sdio cards cause there werent any compatible with the t650 at the time.
    Bluetooth is important to me for wireless headphone only. WiFi is not (but would consider adding a card for it, MAYBE).

So yes, I'll buy (when it's out for Verizon...)
    Quote Originally Posted by spacehog
    the treo 650 will not have wifi, as was said before, but they are actively working on a compatible driver for the sdio wifi card.. keep your eyes open guys..

do you know about EDGE capability in the GSM model spacehog?
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    WiFi is a non-issue to me as long as I have a unlimited data plan. 1xRTT + BT should do everything I need and more.
    Skip the new hi-rez/BT Treo for the hope of a WiFi-integrated version down the pike? No way. I'd rather be able to connect anywhere at lower bandwidth through unlimited Vision than connect at sparsely deployed hotspots at higher bandwidth. And I'd rather be able to connect my laptop to the internet via BT tethering through the Treo than hope and hunt for hotspots. Next gripe . . .
    I honestly don't see the need for wifi. Having it or not won't make any impact on whether or not I purchase the Ace.

The only place I go that has Wifi is my home. And if I'm at home I'd much rather go on-line on a PC than a Treo. If I'm out I use the wireless modem. With an un-limitted plan there is no reason no to.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast