Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    You're right that faster cell network access will in many ways negate the need for WiFi/BT but it will take some time (several years at least) before flat rate high speed services are available worldwide. For someone like me who travels a lot this would be a must. BT/WiFi being IP based would let me do all this today without the worry of roaming charges.

Secondly, since we spend a lot of time within range of local area networks (home, office and many public places) it would make a lot of sense to be able to use these to get online. Especially if it means your battery will last a lot longer and/or it will cost you a lot less.

Thirdly, with BT/WiFi your phone will automatically synchronise calendar/contacts and such with your desktop/laptop computer as soon as you get within range of them. This is one of my favourite aspects of the whole idea, no more need to manually back things up or worry about which contact list is most up to date. Important notes for a meeting? Just stick them in a folder that is set to sync w. your phone. Added a new contact while on the road? It will automagically end up in your main computer as soon as you get home. Nah, could live without WiFi or BT but certainly not without both...
    Quote Originally Posted by dspires
    Based on the processor that it looks like will be in it (Intel PXA270) and the built-in capabilities of other PDA's using this processor, I fully expect the new Treo to have both 802.11 and bluetooth.
    The PXA270 is an Xscale processor http://developer.intel.com/design/em...ors/302302.htm

I thought the 650 was going to be using a 312Mhz ARM Processor?
    Since people have problems with my Einstein quotes, I will now quote my true hero: Homer Simpson.

"Doh !'
    Secondly, since we spend a lot of time within range of local area networks (home, office and many public places) it would make a lot of sense to be able to use these to get online. Especially if it means your battery will last a lot longer and/or it will cost you a lot less.
    What makes you think your battery will last longer? It would be quite the opposite. The WiFi card in my notebook will kill the battery in little more than an hour. I can't even imagine what it would do to a cell phone battery. Battery life is one of the reasons I DON'T want WiFi in my next Treo.
    Hey, Lomax, what is that app you're showing on the Treo Ace screen in your avatar? (Looks like a chess game)
    Since people have problems with my Einstein quotes, I will now quote my true hero: Homer Simpson.

"Doh !'
    treo-mike: If you read the thread you'll see that this EXACTLY my point... BT beats WiFi hands down for me as it will do all the things WiFi does but WITHOUT draining the battery. I'm pretty sure the same goes for BT vs. GSM/GPRS/CDMA and other cell based comms. Not only is active power consumption in the 20mA range but BT will idle very efficiently. Unlike WiFi, BT was designed from the ground up for battery powered devices.

GreenTeeth: That's Chess Tiger, an excellent Palm OS chess game to which 320x320 will do whole lot of good
    oh sorry... i read that as you saying that WiFi would give you better battery life... I stand corrected!
    bmacfarland wrote:
    Gameboy70 - you seem to be taking wifi as an either/or situation. I sometimes would like to view sites that aren't handheld-optimized. That's so Palm VII. I find that haldheld-optimized sites comprise about 1/10th of what I generally want/need to do.

The Palm VII comparison doesn't track. With Vision/GPRS it's perfectly possible to access the entire web. You just can't get proper page formatting and certain client-side technologies. This situation is in no way improved with higher throughputs. Handheld-optimized sites are optimized primarily for page formatting, then speed. The BBC low-graphics site looks much better on the Treo than the standard site. An even better example is Google: the Palm-optimized version looks and functions 100% better on the Treo than accessing the standard site on my WiFi-enabled Clie with NetFront (the text box, for instance, continues past the right margin).

I make no assumptions as to where I can or can't go on my Treo. I just put the URL into Blazer, and if it looks reasonable I go for it, or try WebPro instead. IMDB doesn't work on Blazer but does render on WebPro. It's a little slow and could certainly benefit from a faster connection. But it's fine for my purposes.

For those times and in wi-fi areas (something that I'm in about 90% of my life), I'd like to pop in a wi-fi card. It's as elegant as connecting to Vision if they do it right.

The elegance is directly proportional to the ubiquity of hotspots. Your situation is reciprocal to mine: I'm in WiFi areas about 10% of my life. I have to make a conscious effort to go to cafes and libraries offering wireless ethernet. So if I'm going to go out of my way for it, I'd rather surf the web on a 15" screen and a full-sized keyboard, especially if I'm going to spend more than a few minutes online. If I had a WiFi network at home I'd probably feel differently.

I'd be all for bluetooth access points, but I heard that BT's range was 30 feet. If that's the case it's not going to be significant enough to carry my house or workplace, or anything really significant. Also, I can't think of any place that has such a BT access point set up. Most people seem to only want BT for headsets. Some what it for syncing (and I can understand that, but I think wi-fi could do that job better and faster).

Someone else mentioned the BT access point, which is something that doesn't concern me for the same reason as WiFi: I'd have to arrange my life to be within range of sparsely deployed signals. BT headsets are very cool but I can live without them. I'm really looking forward to wireless syncing. I just want to get rid of the cables. Whether or not a faster method exists is of no interest to me. I'm more concerned with the practical than the optimum.

Gandhi didn't live in a world where if you can do somethings faster it gives you more time to the things you love. For me that's what technology is all about.

Actually, he did. He just didn't live in a computerized world. But he saw enough implications in the industrial mode of production to know that it wasn't a sustainable way of life for a third world country trying to wean itself from an imperial power, which was why he advocated more traditional agrarian methods that could be easily distributed and remain decentralized ("What we need is not mass production, but production by the masses."). I could go on with more remarks about is stance against consumer society and all the time it devotes to the "things" it loves, but I don't want to turn this board into PhilosophyCentral.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    I will buy the 650 as soon as possible. I use it as a PDA, lite Email access and primarily as a phone. I have a laptop with wifi for my surfing needs
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123