Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I don't have the need for WiFi. High res will make me jump no matter what.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Wifi is nice, but not a deal breaker. Bring on the 3G......that's what I want.
    i NEED wifi, and i'll take it even via the SDIO port; just don't let me down on this PALM, or i'll wait the next round...
    many airports and hotels offer free wi-fi

its a must, at least here in asia. dunno about the us or europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70
    Skip the new hi-rez/BT Treo for the hope of a WiFi-integrated version down the pike? No way. I'd rather be able to connect anywhere at lower bandwidth through unlimited Vision than connect at sparsely deployed hotspots at higher bandwidth. And I'd rather be able to connect my laptop to the internet via BT tethering through the Treo than hope and hunt for hotspots. Next gripe . . .
    My laptop is kind of heavy to bring around everywhere I go. It also doesn't fit in my pocket.
    no edge as far as i know. look for that in the 6th gen treo.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    wifi doesn't matter in the US as much due to unlimited gprs, unfortunately the situation is different in Europe and Asia, one of Palms problems imho they seem to design for the US market only, a long term mistake in my opinion!
    Quote Originally Posted by spacehog
    no edge as far as i know. look for that in the 6th gen treo.
    too bad, I will probably pass on it then

thanks for the tip
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    First post here, wanted to share my $.02 on WiFi and Bluetooth. To me lack of WiFi wouldn't be an issue mainly because usage time would be very short anyway (I get less than half the battery time with my laptop when WiFi is on). Bluetooth is much less taxing on the battery.

And you may not be aware of it but Bluetooth can do most things WiFi can. You can get "Bluetooth Access Points", very similar to the WiFi variety, that connect your LAN with up to 8 Blutooth devices within 100 meters. True, transfer rate is a lot lower but what do you need higher speed for? Very few of us have Internet connections faster than 1MBit and in any case the 723KBit speed of Bluetooth should be more than enough for web/email access as well as hotsyncing the Treo. Even transfering MP3s should be acceptable.

I expect we will se public Bluetooth hotspots cropping up all over the place, alongside existing WiFi, as many more people carry Bluetooth enabled smartphones than WiFi enabled PDAs. In fact, most of the Bluetooth APs I've looked at are designed for public spaces.

I can't wait to get my hands on the 650, last winter I decided I'd skip the 600 and wait for BT & 320x320. And now it's almost here!

Apart from the wireless hotsyncing and web access the killer Bluetooth app for me will be using the Treo as a remote control for my HTPC system. Imagine being able to browse and play your entire MP3 collection (over the HiFi) from the same device you always carry anyway. And you don't need to stop there. What about using it as a VoIP handset? Home automation controller? Now who's that at the door?
    bmacfarland wrote:
    My laptop is kind of heavy to bring around everywhere I go. It also doesn't fit in my pocket.

A Vision-enabled Treo fits in mine, and I don't even need a card. On the other hand, WiFi doesn't follow me everywhere I go.

For bandwidth-intensive applications -- viewing QT movies, surfing Flash sites (ugh), swapping multimegabyte files on LimeWire -- there's my Powerbook, a true multimedia workhorse that can do justice to rich content. For googling, email, instant messaging, getting news and other content from handheld-optimized sites, the Treo's tiny screen is adequate.

Maybe it's just me, but there's an elegance to the one-button, anytime, anywhere access of Vision that's trumps the admittedly superior speed of wireless networks that I'm only infrequently in range of. And I look forward to connecting my laptop to the Net wirelessly with only a BT connection of the Treo on my belt -- anytime, anywhere -- even without breakneck speeds.

"There should be more to life than making it go faster" -- Gandhi
    Here's a link to product information for Belkin's Bluetooth Access point:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=134669

Also note that although the 650 will only have a 10m Bluetooth radio it should do 100m when connected to one of these. There is a cheaper access point avaliable from D-Link (~$70) but this has a weaker radio and only 20m range. Many WiFi radio chip manufacturers now make chips that integrate BT & WiFi so expect to see APs coming out that do both BT AND WiFI very soon.
    Gameboy70 - you seem to be taking wifi as an either/or situation. I sometimes would like to view sites that aren't handheld-optimized. That's so Palm VII. I find that haldheld-optimized sites comprise about 1/10th of what I generally want/need to do. For those times and in wi-fi areas (something that I'm in about 90% of my life), I'd like to pop in a wi-fi card. It's as elegant as connecting to Vision if they do it right.

I'd be all for bluetooth access points, but I heard that BT's range was 30 feet. If that's the case it's not going to be significant enough to carry my house or workplace, or anything really significant. Also, I can't think of any place that has such a BT access point set up. Most people seem to only want BT for headsets. Some what it for syncing (and I can understand that, but I think wi-fi could do that job better and faster).

Gandhi didn't live in a world where if you can do somethings faster it gives you more time to the things you love. For me that's what technology is all about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomax
    Here's a link to product information for Belkin's Bluetooth Access point:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=134669

Also note that although the 650 will only have a 10m Bluetooth radio it should do 100m when connected to one of these. There is a cheaper access point avaliable from D-Link (~$70) but this has a weaker radio and only 20m range. Many WiFi radio chip manufacturers now make chips that integrate BT & WiFi so expect to see APs coming out that do both BT AND WiFI very soon.
    Hmmm, 20m for $70 or $199. I'd rather have wifi that cost me $20. Oh and wifi is supported at my work, so it's not like I can get them to buy BT for me. What's the business case for that?
    bmacfarland: Bluetooth radios comes in three flavors, Class 1,2 and 3. Class 3 is the ultra low power version ususally fitted in phones, mice, keyborads etc. and has a 10m range in a peer to peer situation. But crucially, when in a peer to AP configuration the higher output power and sensitivity of the AP (usually Class 1 radio) increases that range to 100m.

Now I don't beleive for one second that you will actually get 100m range, just as with WiFi this is the ideal situation spec, in real life you should expect that to be more like 50m but still good enough for me. APs can also be "daisy chained" to cover greater areas such as airports, malls and offices.
    BT and WiFi use very similar radio technologies and the same frequency. It won't be long before we see APs that combine the technologies, my guess is three to four months. Prices will of course also come down as sales increase. The key thing to remember here is that BT power consumption is roughly 10 times lower than WiFi...
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    No WiFi needed. For that matter either do I need BT or HiRes. I do want them though. Wifi is at the bottom of my list though. I bet we would be lookink at 802.11b which is transitioning out to 802.11g. I know... I Know 11g and 11b are compatable but only at 11b speeds. And the security mess that comes with Wifi means that it is of little value to me on this device. I can get a true wifi device from work if i really want one.
    I need my Treo to manage my multi-thousand contact phone book and calander while providing occasional web viewing when I an mot beyond the four walls. I think built in java and a browser that supports both frames and java script is a muck bigger benefit to me at this time.
    Having said all of that, I can't wait to get the T650 and will be one of the first on line. Much to my wife's dismay.
    The Bluetooth AP sounds interesting, wouldn't this require the Treo 650/ACE Bluetooth to include a LAN Profile?

In any case, as long as PalmOne makes the Treo 650/Ace possible for its SDIO slot to support a SD Wi-Fi card and someone comes out with a working SD Wi-Fi/Memory combo card that supports 802.11g/b and WPA I'll be a happy camper.
    Based on the processor that it looks like will be in it (Intel PXA270) and the built-in capabilities of other PDA's using this processor, I fully expect the new Treo to have both 802.11 and bluetooth.
    Good point, I suppoes for Internet/LAN access you would need a LAN profile... But the APs all provide LAP, SPP and PAN profiles so you should still be able to connect for syncing and such. Doesn't running Palm OS Garnet (5.4) guarantee the inclusion of a LAP profile? Can anyone shed some more light on this?
    I suppose if BT does have all the things you mention then it's at least a good start towards higher speed access without waiting for EV-DO. Just looking at the places I go to though, there hasn't been and are no plans for their ever being a BT AP. I suppose I could put this in my home, but that's really the only place where I have a say which standard to use. And it will be at additional cost to my wi-fi that I already have set up. Probably by the time in catches on in the outside world, we'll be at EDGE or EV-DO speeds and it might just be a factor of how you budget your money and your data access needs are. At this point, I don't mean to be overly greedy and get high speed access cheaply for everywhere. I'm mostly just looking for the solution that Palm promised long ago.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast