Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    ok i have a problem. dont know where to post it really but it is related to my treo600.
    like circuit city did in 2002, best buy just gave me the shaft.
    in nov 2003 i got my treo 600 and an $80 3 year replacement plan.
    i was told very clearly by a number of the people that work there that i could at some point if there was something wrong with the phone, walk into the store and get a new one or have the amount i spend on the phone applied to a new phone.

lo and behold, 2 weeks ago they have changed it to where you can only explain yourself by calling in to their toll free number where the same sexually frustrated middle aged women tells you they can only replace it with the same phone. Now i bought the warranty because of what the people in the store said they could do.. otherwise i have lockline Sprint replacement which i dont need to pay another $80 for. what the hell. i paid $80 for the convenience of being able to walk into best buy and getting a replacement and the fact that they would honor an "upgrade". any way i can get around this flaming pile of crap. if i have to pay for something im gonna be mad.

i need a drink.
    Try walking into several Best Buy's (if they're not too far away) until you get an exchange. There are still some that will do it.
    commission based sales reps will tell you anything to get you to buy an unneeded "service warrantly", "Exchange plan" or whatever they wanna call it. they know that the big company that is behind them can renege on the word of the rep because the big company can always say "oh you might have misunderstood" or "the rep might accidentally misinformed you".
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    man i wanna.. just .. wanna.. uhh *pummel*.. can i cant even walk into best buys now to do anything cuz my masterplan was to do it for the new treo ^_^
    i think i read on CNET or some similar online gadget magazine (might be Maximum PC magazine too. i don't read many such gizmo mags but it's one of those two) that people should NOT sign on to such plans offered by the big electronic retailers because of how the motiviation behind getting to you sign up is PURELY commission based and NOT NEED based. Secondly, if people DO decide to sign on to such plans, they should get the plan out in writing. So if you were told that you would get a replacement unit, and your toes painted, get it in writing.

I stopped signing on to such plans and "Extended warranties" because chances are, unless you are careful with your buy, you will never really use the warranty. Future Shop (in Canada) a subsidiary of Best Buy, offers all such warranties in writing. Even then, I would be reluctant in signing on. THE ONE instance I think such a warranty would be useful is for the treo. Future Shop, for $100, gives you a 3 year replacement warranty - and we all know the treo is a buggy device that is prone to orange splotches, dead speakers, etc etc etc etc etc lol
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    yeah i got the 3 year warranty for $79.99. The clincher.. i got it replaces through sprint instead twice on my 3/month insurance. the only purpose of the bestbuy warranty for me was to do the upgrade which i was promised. i am seething in anger because they just changed their policy from in store replacement to over the phone. last time i got screwed over in a similar way when circuit city decided to stop carrying sprint completely. this is not the end. i will get what i was promised!!! they cant do this to the customers anymore!!! i UNDERSTAND that replacement plans are not upgrade plans blah blah blah.. but fact is thats what THEY said they would do for me or i would have never bought it. c'est la vie.
    can you prove it? was it in writing? you can't just tell them "i was promised it".
    Thanks, I think I will now revise my plan on getting a free upgrade to a Treo 650. I will have one. The Treo 650 is what I thought I was being promised when asking a sprint rep if the Treo 600 had bluetooth only to realize blah blah blah ......and the fact that the box my Treo came in shows it browsing ebay....and the fact that it constantly resets no matter what is a bit annoying, heck I can make it reset on command if I want to....this upgrade is deserved....its all about timing....mwahahaha!!!
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    i dont have what the guy said in writing. i have just done that particular upgrade thing using bestbuys plan on numerous occasions. heck i did it with my treo when i had the a600 before it and i did it for my ipod 2G > 3G > 4G. its just now they did the old bait and switch. "oh we do it throught our 1-800 number now. its more convenient that way"....

oh yeah LOT more convenient.. on hold for 55 minutes only to be told they do same product replacement only and this bleep had the nerve to tell me that that they reserve the right to change the warranty policy whenever they feel like because it is in the warranty literature that they can do so.
    well lady that gives me the right to go ape shizzle on you.

lets think about that... if i as a developer told my client their program would work but in fine print i wrote i can change the terms of this contract anytime i want.. well i think i would end up in court or at least lose all future business. well if i can find more people who best buy decieved and keep other people from falling for the same lines of crap well i will feel a little better...
    I have had the 3 year replacement warranty at Future Shop (for an MP3 Player given as a gift)...and they refused to replace it...well...until I made such a scene at the counter it was easier for them to replace it than deal with me any longer.

I NEVER buy those things. My friend used to sell Cell phones and warranties. When he sold a $75 extended warranty...his comission was like $50...that told me everything I needed to know. Most electronics will fail in the first year if they are going to fail. So you are covered by the MFR warranty. It might be a bit more of a pain. But well worth all the money you will save on those rip off warranties.
    the ones i got even though i KNEW i shouldn't have got any.
    1) Sony Clie peg-sj20 warranty - Told by future shop guy that if anything went wrong with it, sincei it is a discontinued model, i would get an upgrade with no questions asked if they can't fix it. warranty expired - never used it. was desparately hoping i would drop my PDA in water or something
    2) HP all-in-one Printer - Was told by Future shop guy that the warranty would give me free cartridge cleaning for 3 years. suckered into that one too - but the thought of free cleanings etc suckered me in. damn.
    3) radioshack tried to sucker me into one for an mp3 player but i told them no.

after that, i never ever got a warranty. written or not. i do so much research into a product, read multiple reviews and hang around in forums like these before i buy that I pretty much know all the problems of the unit i am planning on buying. if i feel that a unit would die within a year (from feedback from users) i would just avoid it instead of getting it and getting a warranty.

treo-mike: how did you get them to give you a replacement?
    Well to put it bluntly...I was a total A-Hole. I just kept telling her, "no the warranty was for replacement" and that her sending it away was not an acceptable solution. I also kept asking her if everyone who worked there was a complete and total liar when it came to their warranties.

I don't like being like that. But I have very little patience for the people at Future Shop any more. Can't wait for more Best Buy stores to open here.
    sorry to dissapoint you but future shop is a subsidiary of best buy. btw, did u get an UPGRADE as a replacement or just the same product?
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    best buy just gave me the shaft.
    in nov 2003 i got my treo 600 and an $80 3 year replacement plan.
    i was told very clearly by a number of the people that work there that i could at some point if there was something wrong with the phone, walk into the store and get a new one or have the amount i spend on the phone applied to a new phone.
    Last time I had to replace my treo I was informed of a small clause in the extended warrenty. "This plan is fulfilled when a product is replaced after the expiration of the manufacturer's warrenty" which means this warrenty is only good for 1 repair between years 2 & 3 of the extended warrenty. This infuriated me!

Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    2 weeks ago they have changed it to where you can only explain yourself by calling in to their toll free number
    Fortunatly I have my contract...which never states that they have the right to change their warrebty agreement (this agreement was made on Dec27th 2003 so yours should be the same.)

As for the exchange, I am also determined to use this feature (im even willing to buy another PSP from them to do it.)

However it is mentioned in the contract a few times that the voucher for the origional purchase price is at their discrestion.

In my opinion our best bet is to do the exchange through their lemon policy. Which states that they will "replace it with a product of comparable preformance, not to exceed the origional purchase price"

The lemon policy requires 3 replacements, need of a 4th replacement, and the reciepts for all previous replacements.

Fortunatly I qualify for this but I have misplaced my first receipt.

If this works, then the $80 PSP was worth the cost. $80 for $549 off the next treo. Even if I have to agree to another PSP $160 is not a bad price for a brand new Treo ACE.
    return the service plan. yes you can do that, you only pay for the days you used it. I worked for best buy and the employees dont get ne thing if they sell a plan, but need to sell enough of them to keep a job. Best buy employees will lie alot to sell "psp's" as they are called. NEVER BUY THEM, they are useless, unless your an employee then you get them for like 80 percent off.
    rantaajogi: we all know that employees get a huge commission off those. i don't know about in the US, but at least here in canada they do. thanks for confirming they are useless though.
    1. Best Buy is a non-commission environment and has been for probably the last ten years.
    2. Circuit City is a non-commission environment and has been for about the last 2-3 years.
    3. ANYONE who takes the word of a sales person and doesn't take the time to read the warranty contract until after they feel they have been put over a barrel deserves to be put over a barrel.
    Ros: I know Best Buy now owns Future Shop. But they have:

1) Non-comisioned Sales People
    2) Better training programs for their sales people
    3) Better customer service policies as a whole

Plus they don't have all that bad blood built up between future shop and I over the last 10 years! ;-)

To answer your question...they just replaced my mp3 player with a new one off the shelf. Same model.
    i was not aware of best buy's non comission policy. thanks for correcting me. all i know is at future shop, they really push you to get a plan the two times i did buy a plan from them, i was really thorough as to what is offered with it and i made the guy go through everything offered word for word hahaha. yah he prolly hated me for it but at least i could ask him questions on the spot.

incidentally, future shop offers a 3 year warranty on the treo 600 for $100. as if treo-philes will keep the treo600 for three years! a friend of mine, who wanted to get a treo was all into this 3 year warranty and will not think about getting one from ebay or any other place (like a forum) just because it doesn't come with a three year warranty for $100 extra. *groan*
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast