Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38
  1.    #1  
    -MagicMtnDan
    SoCal

  2. #2  
    Right, pre-order when there's no price... No thanks.
  3. #3  
    according to the site 'Of course, Treo Ace uses Palm’s latest OS, 5.4 (Garnet)'

    first I've heard of that.
  4. #4  
    Palm OS 5.4 was listed long ago in Miradu's slide I think.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81
    Right, pre-order when there's no price... No thanks.
    At least it says you are under no obligation to buy. Personally, I could put up the same webpage, but it doesn't actually mean I'll be able to supply them any more than this person. I'd like to wait for official release. I'd hate to find that I missed out on a loyalty program or something.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Palm OS 5.4 was listed long ago in Miradu's slide I think.
    interesting. i hadn't heard that. what slide are you talking about?
  7. #7  
    There's a post at:

    http://blog.treonauts.com/2004/08/omg_treo_650_ac.html

    just scroll down to "Next Generation Treo by PalmOne". It says standard Palm 5.4 productivity tools. I assume that will include all those nice 3rd party apps on the Tungsten's that I hear about. I could be wrong though.
  8. #8  
    I remember reading about the Ace having 5.4 (Garnet) before. But I can't remember where.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    There's a post at:

    http://blog.treonauts.com/2004/08/omg_treo_650_ac.html

    just scroll down to "Next Generation Treo by PalmOne". It says standard Palm 5.4 productivity tools. I assume that will include all those nice 3rd party apps on the Tungsten's that I hear about. I could be wrong though.
    thanks, i'll check it out. so it sounds like that might impact software compatibility more than low vs hi res?
  10. #10  
    I'll see what kinda of deal P1 throws. that was a good last time around
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

    Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

    About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  11. #11  
    About four months ago PalmSource released two new OS's to the masses (of developers in their developers program); Palm OS 5.4 (codenamed Garnet) and 6 (codenamed cobalt.)
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by webslappy
    thanks, i'll check it out. so it sounds like that might impact software compatibility more than low vs hi res?
    I suppose the combination of the hi res and new OS might impact software compatibility. I don't think that the change from 5.2 to 5.4 (or whatever the Treo 600 is now) isn't going to be the worst part. You think that it would be a very small change. A lot of people went from 3.5 to 5.2 from the Treo 300-600 with some issues (I had none). To me the hi res is going to be the tough part, but luckily high res apps have been written far before now. It's not like Treo's are the first PalmOS device to use 320x320.
  13. #13  
    oh hey while you are at it...want my SIN...my permanent code, my bank account, my credit card, my investorline number...please i will tell you...bwhhahahaha
  14. #14  
    my luck, this will be the first treo that isn't offered by sprint right out of the gate...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  15. #15  
    OS 5.4? Not the Cobalt? Oh well, I guess I'd skip this and wait for the next one...

    I buy Treo for its ability to expand. At this point, the lack of multithreading is a negative for the OS, and it'll be more so going forward.

    Everything else (rumored) about the 650 sounds like a dream come true. But Not going to Cobalt would be (again) their huge mistake.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by continuum
    OS 5.4? Not the Cobalt? Oh well, I guess I'd skip this and wait for the next one...

    I buy Treo for its ability to expand. At this point, the lack of multithreading is a negative for the OS, and it'll be more so going forward.

    Everything else (rumored) about the 650 sounds like a dream come true. But Not going to Cobalt would be (again) their huge mistake.
    Just curious, how dow "lack of mulitithreading" limit you. With the apps currently written for the treo 600 they seem to mimic multi-tasking enough for me. Chatter background push imap email especially. Just wondering what you want in detail that the current os does not provide. Thanls in advance for your clarification!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Just curious, how dow "lack of mulitithreading" limit you. With the apps currently written for the treo 600 they seem to mimic multi-tasking enough for me. Chatter background push imap email especially.
    Yes, the "emulation" is good, saving app state when switching away is brilliant. But there're always limitation to emulation -- otherwise why do you think people go to the trouble of writing a multitasking OS?

    During a phone call, you may want to send a message (number, pic) to the other party.

    While you're waiting for a webpage to load, you may want to switch away for a sec. It'd be nice if the page can load in the background.

    With multithreading, you can have all kinds of services/demons quitely running in the background, like voice-command, dynamic adjustment of screen brightness/contrast/volume, updating webpages/emails/quotes.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by continuum
    Yes, the "emulation" is good, saving app state when switching away is brilliant. But there're always limitation to emulation -- otherwise why do you think people go to the trouble of writing a multitasking OS?

    During a phone call, you may want to send a message (number, pic) to the other party.

    While you're waiting for a webpage to load, you may want to switch away for a sec. It'd be nice if the page can load in the background.

    With multithreading, you can have all kinds of services/demons quitely running in the background, like voice-command, dynamic adjustment of screen brightness/contrast/volume, updating webpages/emails/quotes.
    good points. Thanks
  19. #19  
    I think the Zire 72 uses 5.4. I was playing with it and like it a lot You get more address entries and a birthday entry and the contacts overall closely mirror outlook so you can have a lot more information. It had a couple new features too, but wasn't all that different. I liked it a lot
  20. #20  
    I take it back.. Zire 72 is 5.2.8 Hopefully it'll be more along those lines though
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions