Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Trust me. I'm very happy about the screen, processor and camera, but those improvements only highlight the VERY INADEQUATE STORAGE SPACE.

a 1.3MP camera? great. and video built in. Awesome, but if they're not going to support immediate save to SD card, we have a serious problem.

They really need to stop being stingy and boost this device to 64MB. 32 will cripple it.
    - ag47
    I agree...If this new Treo does have a 1.3 mp camera, it will need to save directly to the SD card or it's going to run out of space pretty quickly. I can't believe they would cripple it like this!!! Maybe the 32MB memory is just some mis-information. After all, the 'offical' specs haven't been released yet.

I'm betting it'll have more memory...AND that it supports the new SD W-Fi card that palm just came out with...afterall, it now has the removable battery (and probably an extra capacity battery too) to support the extra power required by the wi-fi card.
    My take is that it will have 32mb - PalmOne (even Handspring) seemed to have a Bill Gates "No one will ever need more than 640k of memory!" mentality.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Get with the times people! I have a Tapwave Zodiac 1 with only 32MB of internal storage (actually, just 20MB of it is available for storage). Just yesterday (or was it the day before?) an online retailer was offering a 1GB SD card for just under $100 (including shipping)! I'm perfectly happy with Palm OS licensees shipping devices with limited internal storage so long as they tweak the launcher so that you can access externally-stored apps just like they were stored internally. The people that you should be mad at are the developers who are still stuck in the 90's and haven't modified their apps so that you can install them in their entirety to SD storage. My 2 cents.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I agree with Scott R. Let the consumer decide how much storage he/she needs and let P1 concentrate on keeping the Treo small (tho 64 MB wouldn't increase size that much) and packed with improvements. But easy access to the SD card is key. Also, if the rumors about the 650 not being compatible with 600 accessories is true then a major @#*! you to P1 for further squeezing those who will switch and have to shell out more cash. Not customer loyalty rewarding of them is it?
    I agree. Although I won't complain if there is more memory, all the other features are far more important to me than more memory.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    the only thing that I care about this point is EDGE. I hope that the side button is voice memo than PTT or camera shutter. That's all for me, really. Well, I also hope that the bluetooth supports headset, I prefer that to handsfree
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I'm perfectly happy with Palm OS licensees shipping devices with limited internal storage so long as they tweak the launcher so that you can access externally-stored apps just like they were stored internally.

Scott
    PERFECT point, Scott.
    I would PREFER greater built-in RAM, but i'd be happy to move big DB apps like Vindigo to SD-card-land
    - ag47
    I agree with Scott R, but at the same time, I could be mad at a dozens of application writers or I could be mad at Palm for not making things more accessable on the cards. But if I was given 64MB of internal memory, I could forgive those things. After all, RAM in my computer isn't the same as hard drive space and I can deal with that.

I think it's a great point that we'll need more than 32MB if we have 1.3MP camera capable of built-in video -- or it has to store it straight to the card (perhaps requiring a buffer).
    I had a Tungsten|T at one point and basically had to move a huge proportion of my apps to the card. There were many I couldn't, though, because they demanded to be in RAM. The net result was that I was tied to a single card pretty much all the time. I couldn't consider switching it out, say to put in a card with some MP3s, because my TT would become a mere shadow of what it was before -- in order to listen to the music on that second card I had to give up so much of the capability of my machine.

Then I switched to the T3 with its 64MB and -- what a difference!! Now, most of my apps stay in RAM. The card becomes not a holder of applications that don't fit, but a supplier of content -- MP3s, Dictionaries, Photos, Videos, etc. I now switch in the card with the content I want at any time and I still have access to most of my applications (I still keep large games on the card).

This is a totally different experience from the TT. It's like the days when you went from a greyscale device to a colour device. After you tasted the new feature, you couldn't imagine going back to the way it was before.
    Now that I think about it, I agree that the SD card should just hold data that the applications can use. I'd rather not have to have an application card, and an MP3 card. I suppose it wouldn't matter if I had a 1GB card, but I have two 256MB cards instead, because, at the time it was the cheapest way to get 512MBs of music. Also, I have a camera that takes SD, so it allows me to keep something in there.
    Zlauncher is great...it does all anybody wants from an SD card

Symbian is able to use memory cards natively though

flame on

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

I personally have never approached the 32 MB limit on the Treo so I'm fine with it, although more is always better.

The feature I've always wanted most in the Treo was high-res, because of that I'm happy with the 650's specs.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    I agree with Unpopular. The 600 is unfortunately inadequate for photo/movie viewing. I've held off using alot of features and apps due to the low res. Agendus has a feature that allows you to put a picture next to a contact or todo but you can barely make it out. Hi-res would open up so many useful avenues for this already amazing device.

PS, my governor is gay
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    Zlauncher is great...it does all anybody wants from an SD card

Symbian is able to use memory cards natively though

flame on
    Yeah, I don't think a third party app should be necessary for basic memory management. I'm happy with the built-in launcher, just want easy access to the SD card
    I agree with 100thmonkey..EDGE is far more important than anything else...

P.S.
    My Governor is a lover not a fighter.!
    I've had my 300 for three years now, and I haven't ever felt the limit of it's 16mb. Though 64mb would, of course, be nice.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    I never had much of an issue with the 300 either, but with the Treo 600 you have a camera and the storage for those photos. You have apps to enhance the pictures. You have mp3 players. You have J2ME (something like 2MB right there), ringtones, apps like hblogger. My phone filled up relatively quickly.
    and for streaming video performance...u need 64MB min
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimzo
    I agree with 100thmonkey..EDGE is far more important than anything else...

P.S.
    My Governor is a lover not a fighter.!
    If 650 doesn't come with, you take my word here. I Will petition for EDGE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast