Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimzo
    and for streaming video performance...u need 64MB min
    And we should remember that this is supposed to come with built-in video capture. Hence it's intended to basically fill up tons of space
    So what you are saying...more chances of ACE being 64MB ?
    Although I've hardly used any of the memory of the Treo 600, I can imagine that a hi-res screen and therefore a PDA that is much more useful than the Treo 600 would require more memory.

From reading books on personal computer history, sometimes decisions to increase the memory, due to falling prices, are made at the last minute. So there may be hope yet.

Talking of falling memory prices, it's just amazing how the prices of 512MB and 1GB Compact Flash cards have dropped.

If you think how long they will have taken developing the new Treo, by the time they arrange final production it may become appropriate to include more memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimzo
    So what you are saying...more chances of ACE being 64MB ?
    You think so. I mean can they expect to fit a Blazer that does more (uploading), more imbedded apps (I'm guessing on this, but the Sprint slide that Miradu had mentioned 5.4 PalmOS Productivity Apps and it's not a stretch to think they'd include more to compete with PocketPC), video capture, taking pictures with a 1.3MP camera (which right away eat up 4 times the memory if my math is right) in 32 MBs. I mean they can, but it's going to take up a lot more space. They've released J2ME for the Treo which is another 2MBs or so gone. Start adding it up and I think you've got 16-20MBs taken up by just the OS, bundled apps (blazer and what not) 10 pictures and 8 seconds of video capture. I might be off, and if I am please correct me, but I don't see how they can get away without upgrading the memory too.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    correct me, but I don't see how they can get away without upgrading the memory too.
    Unless the Treo 650 will run OS 6 (Cobalt)...! They might get away with 32mb then, because they won't need the current software emulation layer that OS 5 uses...???
    i totally agree with you..but i have also read somewhere that PALM has more 32MB chip in its inventory which is why it may not opt for memory upgrade...
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    And we should remember that this is supposed to come with built-in video capture. Hence it's intended to basically fill up tons of space

If the video capture feature is anything like the Z72, it should allow you to save directly to the card afiak...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I think if it's 32mb, it'll be cobalt, with more memory available to the user because no emulation necessary...if it remains garnet, then it will probably need to be 64mb...just my guess
    What is EDGE?
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    Quote Originally Posted by agnok47
    Trust me. I'm very happy about the screen, processor and camera, but those improvements only highlight the VERY INADEQUATE STORAGE SPACE.

a 1.3MP camera? great. and video built in. Awesome, but if they're not going to support immediate save to SD card, we have a serious problem.

They really need to stop being stingy and boost this device to 64MB. 32 will cripple it.

I've mentioned it else-where around here but here goes. There are several rumors that PalmOne is a M-System's based Nand chip in the Ace. It was also mentioned in the Treocentral rumor article that was pulled last month that the Ace might have an automatic Ram backup feature. Miradu initially mentioned it in the article and subsequently edited it out b/c it was unverifiable. The other rumor is that P1 may be stuck in a long term contract with its memory supplier, forcing it to use these 32 MB chips, and not a higher capacity 64 MB chip. Anyway, if the automatic backup feature is true, the ACE would actually have a 64 MB Nand chip of which 32 MB would be used for ram and 32 MB for file store. Recall the Sony UX series (and the rumored Samsung SGH-i550) also has a similar ram architecture. The ram is automatically be backed up to the file store in case of power loss, thus preventing the loss of data which is very bad for a smartphone. This would also make sense if the Ace had replaceable batteries. IMO if true, this would be a very smart and necessary feature for the Treo. Not having to rely on Backupman for fear of power loss is a big problem with the current Treo 600 imo...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    I just got my 1Gig Sd but have been using a 512 MB card. I used 30MB on my Treo. I moved almost 10 MB of programs that I don't use every day to the SD card with FlyZip.
    Quote Originally Posted by paris
    I think if it's 32mb, it'll be cobalt, with more memory available to the user because no emulation necessary...if it remains garnet, then it will probably need to be 64mb...just my guess

HUH? That really doesn't make sense to me personally. First of all I think a Cobalt based Treo would be in the uber highend range. Cobalt, in fact, would be specifically necessary if PalmOne ever decides to release a tri-wireless (3G,BT,wifi) Treo since the mulittasking, seamless wireless switching is one of the major features of Cobalt...

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    This would also make sense if the Ace had replaceable batteries. IMO if true, this would be a very smart and necessary feature for the Treo.
    This is not neccessarily true, as the Palm III had a replaceable battery (just some tripple a's) but did not lose all it's data if you switched the batteries in less then two minutes.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    Quote Originally Posted by mwylde
    This is not neccessarily true, as the Palm III had a replaceable battery (just some tripple a's) but did not lose all it's data if you switched the batteries in less then two minutes.

Well maybe on a Palm III, but on my Treo 600, when the battery dies, all the data on ram goes with it!

I still use my trusty 300, and have not upgraded, and therefore have not used a 600, but the 300 (as well as all other Palm based PDA's that I've used) the palm will cease to start up if it only has a small amount of battery life left and use that left over battery life to continue to power the ram.
    -ancient chinese adage
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I've mentioned it else-where around here but here goes. There are several rumors that PalmOne is a M-System's based Nand chip in the Ace. It was also mentioned in the Treocentral rumor article that was pulled last month that the Ace might have an automatic Ram backup feature. Miradu initially mentioned it in the article and subsequently edited it out b/c it was unverifiable. The other rumor is that P1 may be stuck in a long term contract with its memory supplier, forcing it to use these 32 MB chips, and not a higher capacity 64 MB chip. Anyway, if the automatic backup feature is true, the ACE would actually have a 64 MB Nand chip of which 32 MB would be used for ram and 32 MB for file store. Recall the Sony UX series (and the rumored Samsung SGH-i550) also has a similar ram architecture. The ram is automatically be backed up to the file store in case of power loss, thus preventing the loss of data which is very bad for a smartphone. This would also make sense if the Ace had replaceable batteries. IMO if true, this would be a very smart and necessary feature for the Treo. Not having to rely on Backupman for fear of power loss is a big problem with the current Treo 600 imo...
    Great 32MB of back-up. I'm happy about that. All things equal, I'd rather have the 64MB of usable stuff and no back-up. Let me back up to SD card as necessary. If there is a huge amount of 32MB chips piled up that they need to use, they should have explored how to put two of them in the Treo. It couldn't have taken too long of internal testing with the Treo 600 that they realized that they couldn't have J2ME and a few other big apps built in. Internal PalmOne employees should be using them everyday installing more stuff than we do.

I suppose if video capture and (both!) camera save to SD, that's a good start.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12