Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Now that Weebit has come through with some photos. Let's put all the questions we have into one basket. My hope is that if we do have another source before this gets released, we can just cut and paste from this thread and we'll have all our questions answered.

I'll start the list with my own questions (questions are now modified and or added to reflect other posters in this thread). ANSWERS are things I'm reasonably sure about given the evidence, I've seen.

Hardware (or driver/firmware) Questions
    - Does it have Push-to-Talk?
    - Does it support Edge or EV-DO? (ANSWER: EV-DO no)
    - Will WiFi finally work (via SDIO card)?
    - Does it have a stronger IR port for universal remote control capabilities?
    - Headphone jack - standard or treo-specific?
    - Battery-type, how many mAh, expected life? (ANSWER: 2000 mAh)
    - How much Ram in it, how much is actually available? (SEEMINGLY ANSWER: 32MBs)
    - Which Bluetooth profiles are available? (ANSWER: handsfree and hotsync)
    - Type of LCD screen?
    - Is there Voice Dialing (on the device, not through a carrier)?
    - Physical attributres (height/weight.) (my guess: insignificantly different from Treo 600)
    - Processor speed? (current information says it's 312 ARM processor)
    - Camera-less version? (I have to think this would be a yes)
    - How does the vibrate mode compare with the Treo 600 (is there a standard way to rate vibrations? Electrical engineers want to help me out here. I'd like to know if it's 50 megaVibes better or worse or what not.)

Software Questions
    - Bundled Applications? Built-in J2ME?
    - Updated PIMs from Tungstens/Zires? (my guess from Spring slide "Standard Palm OS 5.4 productivity tools" is yes).
    - Browser improvements (Sprint Slide shows uploading capability, better handling of frames, and Integrated Download manager.
    - Easy Fax capability? (Treo 600 could have this, but I think it requires jumping through hoops)
    - BlackBerry compatiblity -- (ANSWER: "(CEO) Todd Bradley at PalmOne said he didn't want anything to do with RIM until the NTP case is settled." http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-5349579.html)

Standard questions
    - Cost?
    - Release Date? (Which carriers?) (ANSWER: I'm going with the guestimate of October 20th. I've seen that date thrown around a lot and it appears PalmOne told JP Morgan October (source pending)).
    - Upgrade/Loyalty program?
    Last edited by bmacfarland; 09/29/2004 at 02:31 PM.
    repeat: release date!!!!!!!!!
    (and which carrier will be first, of course?)
    I had to change my avatar! Elmo's doing his happy dance!
    headphone jack - standard or treo-specific
    I also would like to know the RAM size and battery life.
    1. Bluetooth wireless headset profile?
    2. Native voice dialing?
  7.    #7  
    I'm adding the questions to the first post to help compile a comprehensive list. I've expanded the questions in some cases. Let me know if I've misinterpetted any of your questions
    One thing I'd like to know is:
    What are the physical dimensions of the 650 compared to the 600.
    processor speed ?
    Will the GPS be turned on?
    Laissez Faire
  11.    #11  
    Prubin, I'm going to refrain from adding the GPS as it's carrier specific. I believe Sprint could "turn on" the A-GPS on the Treo 600 tomorrow. A new Treo isn't likely to impact that decision unless it has a real integrated GPS chip (uses satellites) in it, not A-GPS that uses cell tower triangulation. There's been no word as to whether it it would have real GPS in it, but I can't imagine it would if it has A-GPS as well. We might be stuck until the carriers get around to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBoogie
    1. Bluetooth wireless headset profile?
    agreed headset or handsfree profile

also, OBEX transfer over BT?

and is that smaller button PTT, one touch voice memo, or user-assignable
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    I had to change my avatar! Elmo's doing his happy dance!
    that rocks ido!!!

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    agreed headset or handsfree profile

also, OBEX transfer over BT?

and is that smaller button PTT, one touch voice memo, or user-assignable
    Umm what is OBEX transfer? I've never heard of that.

Given the ability of people to write software to remap buttons on the Treo 600, I think it's safe to say that it will be assignable. Probably won't be part of the built-in software, but I'd like to separate software details from hardware ones, unless that software is proprietary. For example, Blackberry Connect is something that hasn't been duplicated, in entirety, by a 3rd party app. Ditto for wi-fi drivers. Those would be significant questions in my opinion. If we can do it on the Treo 600, I'm going to go ahead and guess that it didn't get taken away.
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    that rocks ido!!!

..and I've googled and yet I still don't get it....what is Edge or EV-DO?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Umm what is OBEX transfer? I've never heard of that.

Given the ability of people to write software to remap buttons on the Treo 600, I think it's safe to say that it will be assignable. Probably won't be part of the built-in software, but I'd like to separate software details from hardware ones, unless that software is proprietary. For example, Blackberry Connect is something that hasn't been duplicated, in entirety, by a 3rd party app. Ditto for wi-fi drivers. Those would be significant questions in my opinion. If we can do it on the Treo 600, I'm going to go ahead and guess that it didn't get taken away.
    object transfer: files, pics, sounds, etc

Quote Originally Posted by adrianamer
    ..and I've googled and yet I still don't get it....what is Edge or EV-DO?
    EDGE-faster data for GSM networks: ROgers, ATT, some Cingular (sorry, not on Fido or T-Mo, those are still slower GPRS

EV-DO- faster data for CDMA networks: Verizon has 2 markets and is setting up nationwide....falls back on slower 1xRTT, Sprint just has 1xRTT at this time

19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by JigSawMan
    When the phone is turned off is bluetooth turned off automatically as well?
    I'm going to lump this into the "this will be software related, and someone can create an app that will make it work to fit your custom needs" group. I don't have bluetooth and don't know how other phones handle it, i.e. if they wake up or not, but I'm guessing it works just like those. In theory the bluetooth should work even if the cell phone isn't on. Perhaps it seperate levels of things that you can shut on and off.
  20.    #20  
    And that you might. Overall, I don't think this would be a key feature of the phone. Hoping to keep this thread to features of the hardware (with some software exceptions as necessary).
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast