Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Did you mean 2.5 mm? FYI 2.5 mm IS the standard for cell phones whereas 3.5 mm is for MP3 players headphones. If the ACE comes with a 3.5 mm jack so you can plug a standard stereo headphone in, then the mic/ earset will have to be a non industry standard one. Which would you rather have? Either way you will need an adapter, unless the ACE comes with both 2.5 and 3.5 mm jacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70
    Wee:

Here's an easy one: The photo of the bottom of the 650 shows what looks like a standard headphone jack instead of that abominable 2.5" one we're currently saddle with. Does that 650 sport a standard jack?
    I've never used a headset when talking. I only use the audio jack for MP3. If I did use a headset I'd use a BT version supported by the 650.
  3.    #43  
    Sorry guys, I had to paint all day yesterday and I'm a behind on this thread. I'll update the first post to reflect all the things that people have mentioned in the next 6 hours or so.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    I think that would depend on the amnount of memory. 320x320 takes 4 times as much p4ocessing power as 160x160. It owuld be nice if there were some dedicated memory or even a separate graphics processor for display management.I'm sure the CPU won't be 4 times as fast.
    I think your logic would only hold true if the device was only just for display. You have to figure that only x% of the devices total processing power is going towards the screen display and remain processing power is going to all the other background tasks that are going on in the device. Thus only this x% gets multiplied by 4 (and maybe not close to 4 times as a lot of it is one time overhead in getting the graphic engine to display at all.)

Think about your own computer. Does it significantly speed up if you lower the screen resolution? It doesn't impact it even a minor bit. Thus I think that with the boost of chip speed (rumored to be something like 312 mhz) it will seem plenty fast to current Treo 600 owners.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeBitObsessed
    hmm such good questions... which should I answer?
    Provided you have time, I think it would be most appreciated if you could go down the list and handle each one as best you can. Clearly, answers such as "don't know" and "no comment" are fine. I don't think any of us expect you to have all the info or want to get you in trouble.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Will the PIMS be the updated ones used in the current Zires and Tungstens?
    312 processor is great, don't get me wrong, bt why didn't they install a monster 400mhz or 524mhz processor in there making the treo 650 undeniably the device to get both for performance AND for covergence? is it a matter of cost? maybe placing a 400 mhz or higher processor would have made the cost rocket higher to$799,899 or $999?
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    312 processor is great, don't get me wrong, bt why didn't they install a monster 400mhz or 524mhz processor in there making the treo 650 undeniably the device to get both for performance AND for covergence? is it a matter of cost? maybe placing a 400 mhz or higher processor would have made the cost rocket higher to$799,899 or $999?
    And for that matter why not put in 128MB of memory? In theory, there's no reason why not to do this, except that I'm sure Palm has a lot of market research on exactly what specs will get them the most bang for the buck. Personally, I don't think I'd pay $799 for a phone. I'm guessing enough other people are also in the same boat. That would be lost sales to Palm. Hence the whole family of phones with different features at different price points.

You always pay a premium in the components market for the best of anything. Usually the 2nd or 3rd best is the a great bang for the buck proposition (see the pricing of computers with the very fastest chips vs. the 2nd fastest as an example).

This is the very reason why I find it annoying they don't put in a boosted IR blaster for remote control functionality. Sony did this on their middle and even lower PDAs at least two years ago (maybe even more?) It to cost less even now and it gives the Treo at least $50-$60 worth of functionality depending on the software that they package with it. It could replace the functionality of $300 remotes, though not quite as well because the feel or the Treo would be worse than a dedicated remote.
    Originally Posted by treobk214
    One thing is power. The faster the proccessor, the more power it uses. The T3, with it's monster 400mhz proccessor is actually underclocked quite a bit to conserve power. Also, there is no reason whatsoever the you would need that much speed right now.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by mwylde
    One thing is power. The faster the proccessor, the more power it uses. The T3, with it's monster 400mhz proccessor is actually underclocked quite a bit to conserve power. Also, there is no reason whatsoever the you would need that much speed right now.
    I await the day where there is a special power screen that would allow you to do all sorts of things to conserve or use power as you want. For instance you could underclock or overclock your chip, you could turn on/off your IR (or perhaps even adjust it to three or 4 power levels -- wow!) , you could set your cellphone to shut off at times you are asleep, you could customize the backlighting. I realize that 3/4 of these already exist, but they are scattered throughout the phone. There should be one place that combines them all and allows me to create a custom power profiles. I could have a maximum performance, a normal use, and a power saving mode. I think between these things battery would be somewhat less of issue for most people.
    And what about the *$#@ing buzzing of the headset on the 600? Is that fixed in the 650? I've cycled through 6 headset brands, never happy with any of them. I want a buzz-free blue-tooth earpiece. Will the 650 have it?
    --- Baba
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Baba
    And what about the *$#@ing buzzing of the headset on the 600? Is that fixed in the 650? I've cycled through 6 headset brands, never happy with any of them. I want a buzz-free blue-tooth earpiece. Will the 650 have it?
    I'm not sure this is a recognized problem by Palm. As such, I highly doubt that it would be something where they'd release information that it was fixed in the upcoming Treo 650. Personally, I never noticed any buzzing, though I've heard that some people have. In any event, if Palm hasn't leaked info on it, then it's probably going to be dependent on the particular Treo you get. It seems that qualitative measures like these vary from phone to phone and user to user.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    So where are the answers?
  14.    #54  
    PalmOne probably has them. I was hoping that someone would come in and answer some, even if they weren't definitive answers. I figure that if they put their sources and the sources checked out (i.e. articles on the web or something fairly legit, like coming from WeeBit), I'd update the thread to have the answers in there, hence building a FAQ out of the thread. There's still time and hope though.
    Did we get a confirmation from Palm One on the veracity of the 650's existence? Or its' release date? I think before we fall into this frenzy of speculation and demands we should have something carved in stone?
    BTW ido, is that elmo doing the "Hustle"?
    Treo 700 running cobalt having wifi, bluetooth, 320x480, 128MB and a carkit. Sign me up!

It's my wishlist anyway.
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by JigSawMan
    I'm convinced from the fact that www.treo650.com is registered and points to the main PalmOne web site. Some other interesting URLs are www.treo610.com and www.treo700.com both of which also point to PalmOne.
    I don't think PalmOne owns the domain for the www.Treo650.com domain. I think someone else does and is pointing to Palm's main page. Presumably when the next Treo comes out they'll simply redirect the link to their own page hocking the device for their profit. Smart idea in my opinion.

And of course we have no 100% proof that the Treo 650 exists. However at some point you could look at all the evidence and say that meets your threshhold for believability. There are people that don't believe in evolution or that man has gone to the moon. Nothing wrong with that and they could be right, but enough evidence has been presented to sway me (and I think a majority of people). For sake of argument, and this thread, let's assume the Treo 650 exists and most of what we have heard in a few places is true.
    Pictures to me is proof that it exists. Pics may not be the final version but does exists.
    so Weebit thinks hes g-d now... but the truth is hes acting like a little kid with his stupid reply.. hmm such good questions which should i answer? what a smart reply, wow your intellectual capacity amazes us, same BS with his pictures, "remember i am the one who put these pictures out first" & "wait another 30 minutes!" etc. WOW so now you created the world too... what else are you capable off? being the absolute genious that you are... are you capable off being USED by palmone to leak info for them to help them get the heat going on thier new product? lol your a sad man...
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeBitObsessed
    hmm such good questions... which should I answer?

thats what i am referring to for those who are wondering...
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast