1.    #1  
    I was playing around with my friend's Treo 600. I love the thing but as someone who is left-handed I found a few issues. The stylus is on the right side so if I'm holding the device in my right hand it's awkward to get the stylus out. My Plam Vx has slots on either side so of course I choose to put the stylus on the left.

Also when I talk on it as a phone, my index finger always smudges the camera. If you were right-handed your hand seems to avoid the camera. I suppose they had to design for the majority of people instead of the weird people like myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamF
    I was playing around with my friend's Treo 600. I love the thing but as someone who is left-handed I found a few issues. The stylus is on the right side so if I'm holding the device in my right hand it's awkward to get the stylus out. My Plam Vx has slots on either side so of course I choose to put the stylus on the left.

Also when I talk on it as a phone, my index finger always smudges the camera. If you were right-handed your hand seems to avoid the camera. I suppose they had to design for the majority of people instead of the weird people like myself.
    As slick Willie says, "I feel your pain".

Left handers are always left out in the hardware/software UI design, which is unfortunate.

They even continued is with the Treo ACE, putting the microphone on the right side, again.
    Hmmm...I am right handed so I never thought about the stylus. But for whatever reason I always hold the phone with my left hand when I talk. So yes, I find myself covering the camera all the time.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    As slick Willie says, "I feel your pain".

Left handers are always left out in the hardware/software UI design, which is unfortunate.

They even continued is with the Treo ACE, putting the microphone on the right side, again.
    i'm a lefty and since we're in the minority, i wouldn't expect any design consideration. I also don't use the stylus much at all thanks to the d-pad, but when I do, it's no big deal.
    I've never understood this with high-tech tools since most of the smart people are leftys....

{{ducking}}}
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    For me, the worst thing about the T600 and being left-handed is the fact that the Alt and Shift Keys are on the far left-hand side of the keyboard, making for very difficult one-handed operation at times. The new ACE seems to address that a bit with the extra shift on the right side.

The top power button is also practically useless for a lefty. But I always use the fourth Palm button for powering off the screen, so it's no big deal.

At least the volume keys are on the left, which I prefer, because I prefer using my thumb for that over my index finger.

Overall, it's not a completely unfriendly device for leftys. Compared to a lot of other things out there (like scissors), it's still quite usable.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Burn the lefties! They're all witches! Burn them!
    Animo et Fide
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    Burn the lefties! They're all witches! Burn them!
    LOL :-)
    our patron saint: Ned Flanders
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm a lefty as well and doesn't seem too bad for me, probably because I hold it in my left hand when talking on the phone and in my right hand primarily when using it as a PDA, which makes it easy to pull out the stylus when necessary. As far as covering the camera lens, I typically hold the phone with my thumb at the top on the left hand side (just above the volume keys) and my right fingers wrapped just below the lens. If I have to use the shift or alt keys while holding in my left hand, I tend to move the phone higher up in my hand so I can move my thumb over those keys..a little annoyance but not much. Definitely like using my thumb for the ringer volume...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I'm actually very strange in this - I write with my left hand exclusively, in some tasks I'm ambidextrous, and in everything else I'm right handed! In Treo use my right hand is dominant.
    I'm what's called 'both handed', this is not the same as ambidextrous because I can't use both hands equally.
    Animo et Fide
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I'm left handed and I have no complaints.
    Obscura
    Another lefty with no complaints here. In fact, on the VERY few occassions where I pull my stylus out, I find it easier to access with my left index finger than with any finger on my right hand.
    "since we're in the minority, i wouldn't expect any design consideration"

I disagree. Every elevator button in America has Braille numbers, even though blind people are a tiny minority. Schools don't allow peanut butter sandwiches because a tiny minority are (or have convinced themselves that they are) allergic. We should not suffer quietly. The trick is to stop calling ourselves "lefty" and "southpaw" and other derogatory terms. We are "people with left-handedness", and we DEMAND OUR RIGHTS! (oops, I mean we DEMAND OUR LEFTS!)