Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The CEO of PalmOne has been quoted recently that PalmOne is developing an entire new family line of Treos:

Whether BargainPDA.com's description of the Treo 610 is correct or not, there are definitely going to be new Treo models coming eventually. palmOne CEO Todd Bradley said recently that his company intends to release a whole range of smartphones, from entry-level models to high-end ones.

While all of the excitement here seems fixated upon the next greatest single feature-rich model incarnation (ACE, 610, 650,-whatever) I would love to see a more wider ranging selection of model and price point options for the Treo. In particular, it would seem to be a most brilliant move for PalmOne to release a far lower entry price point Treo that had (still with qwerty keyboard) just a phone and PDA combined without the camera, wireless email, and wireless data. With a 320x320 resolution (Think Tungsten E) and priced around $200 - $250 they would sell like crazy to the mainstream user as a voice-centric basic PDA function capable device that the major cell phone carriers would still have an interest in offering. By offering a stripped down lower end model, tons of non-techie newer users (John Q. Public) could be lured into the converged family and later would likely upgrade to a higher end, more feature rich Treo once they outgrew the entry model. The Treo is a hot concept because of its form factor likeness to most cell phones. PalmOne needs to broaden its appeal and purchase accessibility to more users with varied needs. It would also be very cool to someday be able to get a "made to order" model through a special order department similiar to how you can customize a new Dell PC with what you want or don't want. For example, I am a user who chooses to deal with my web access and email exclusively on my laptop with an EDGE card (AT&T) because of my preference for the larger PC screen. I can still synch my email to the Treo for viewing, editing, composing, etc. However, I use the laptop to transmit data to and from the internet. In this scenario, I am an excellent candidate for a lower priced, voice only Treo with personal organizer capability still at my fingertips in order to access and update my Outlook PIM info on the Treo. Creating a wider range of models with differing functions and prices would build upon the real strength of Treo which is that the user still only needs to carry one handheld device even if their data usage preferences and habits differ. I am amazed at how many people I see still carrying around a cell phone + PDA. The beauty of convergence could really continue to be discovered by so many more folks out there. PalmOne has a lot at stake in the promotion of this trend.

What do you all think?

-THP
    Last edited by Nautilus Man; 08/27/2004 at 06:30 PM.
    Think First, ask questions later!
    i think i want wifi; one of them should have it...
    I think P1 just makes the Treo 600 the 200-250 version of the Treo. Maybe it's at a slightly higher price point. I don't see why they'd release one without a camera, wireless data, e-mail, mainly because it would probably cost more to get a new cell phone component without those capabilities. If you use the same cell radio then your equipment costs are the same, so why not give the features and charge more money. In order for P1 to release a cheaper overall device to end-users, they need to save money in equipment costs to preserve margins.

As for the day where P1 has the Dell model, I don't know if you ever see it. Cellphone components don't really come in stardard sizes and shapes (to the best of my knowledge) that would allow you simply just swap out chip A for chip B. If the two options are slightly different, the device you put together might not fit in phone. Dell doesn't have this problem as they don't back desktops 100% full. Laptops to a large extent have the same problem, but there are more industry standard parts with them.
    I wonder what an "entry level" version might be?
    Quote Originally Posted by jseasvuess2000
    Who knows...I just hope it's under $200...then I can get my dad one .
    Current setup: myTouch 4G Slide (main), hp Pre2 and Veer 4G (backups)
    i hope the 650 is the entry level model...
    I see an entry level phone being white like the original Zire, with a small, low-res color screen and no keyboard (standard phone keypad). There is no way it is high resolution. Most likely it is a flip phone, like the Samsungs.
    rotflmao!

Quote Originally Posted by koros
    i hope the 650 is the entry level model...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus Man
    In particular, it would seem to be a most brilliant move for PalmOne to release a far lower entry price point Treo that had (still with qwerty keyboard) just a phone and PDA combined without the camera, wireless email, and wireless data.
    Without wireless data?!? Are you on crack cocaine?

The cameras are cheap to add. The 320x320 screen is the bigger cut into the profits. Perhaps the SD slot might save them some money, but likely not. No one would want a non-color phone these days, except for perhaps some business folks who are more opt to justify the higher expense of these things, anyway, so no use going that route. Dropping a thumbboard in exchange for a traditional numeric keypad *might* be a good idea just to grab some folks who don't want a thumbboard. The cost difference would be negligible, though, so I don't see that impacting the price point.

The bottom line, as I see it, is that the Treo 600 *is* the entry-level model. I think they've probably been making an insane amount of profit on this model for a long time now and can probably sell it for $200 before carrier discounts and still turn a profit.

What *I'd* like to see as a brother or sister in this "family" of treos are some completey different form factors (see my sig). Obviously, my dream device would be a clamshell with a big roomy thumbboard, 480x320 landscape screen, and traditional phone interface on the outside when closed (a la mini Nokia Communicator). palmOne already got the landscape thing working with their Tungsten T3, so this shouldn't be hard to pull off.

So, we'd have the Treo 600 for under $99 with carrier discounts, Treo 650 (or whatever this thing gets called) for $249, and my dream treo for $399.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I agree...I think they might continue to make the 600 with the low-res screen and maybe without the camera.

Anyone who pays $500 for a current 600 now that the 650 is almost here is nuts...T-Mobile...are you listening??? You're gone get stuck with these if you don't cut your price!!!
    Sure that the Dell model gave us cheap PCs and seemingly "limitless" configuration possibilities, but Dell also gave us boring, fugly, commoditized hardware.

Frankly, I want better choices.
  12.    #12  
    To a certain degree, commoditization is exactly what PalmOne needs to achieve for long term survival IMHO. This doesn't necessarily have to result in boring hardware options. For the tech heads who frequent this forum, any thing less than the leading edge latest and greatest will not be of interest. For the novice newbie, simplicity (The zen of Palm) with the Treo may be very necessary to expand the total user base significantly. Surveys consistently show that most mainstream folks simply will not justify spending more than $100-$200 for a phone device regardless of the features and capabilities. This huge marketplace reality is probably why Nokia became king by reaching out to them with choices rather than offering 1 single 9500 level model communicator for $500+.

-THP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus Man
    In particular, it would seem to be a most brilliant move for PalmOne to release a far lower entry price point Treo that had (still with qwerty keyboard) just a phone and PDA combined without the camera, wireless email, and wireless data. -THP
    Sorta sounds like the Treo 90 + BT sd and phone! Anyway, I do agree a PalmOs based Treo under $200 USD would be a "whole grail" type price point. However even most low-end phones these days have wireless data capability so I don't think that should be ommitted imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    okay the only thing hindering my decision on the future purchase of this product is where or not the GSM version will have EDGE or not (i know i have said it a lot, but my network has gone live with EDGE and has been since June 1st of this year, and well i want to have those mad edge speeds)

hopefully if edge is present it will utlize the 8-PSK method and be 236 kbps like the nokia 6230 and 9500 (which is at present the fastest attainable speeds on a phone)....and not low level edge which still utlizes GMSK (like present day GPRS)

but hey im rambling, and beggars cant be choosers eh
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Sorta sounds like the Treo 90 + BT sd and phone! Anyway, I do agree a PalmOs based Treo under $200 USD would be a "whole grail" type price point. However even most low-end phones these days have wireless data capability so I don't think that should be ommitted imo...
    I am definitely thinking of the Treo 90. That little bugger (though limited) had a hot audience potential. While I don't have any sales figures, I also am influenced by the role that the Tungsten E has. For that matter, look how well the entry level B&W Zire 21 sells. I believe it is the highest volume unit for PalmOne. The Treo line needs this kind of hot draw at a painless price. I predict that it would surpass most expectations in acceptance.

-THP
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jseasvuess2000
    There are a large number of current two handed, stylist PDA users (think Ipaq 1945) who would possibly go for a model just like the image you have in your avatar (without a keyboard). I know the keyboard has been sacred to Treo's design concept so far but if this thing had a nice resolution display and an excellent RF phone at the right price it would sell well. The most important contribution that Treo has made and can continue to make is to get people from 2 devices (PDA & Phone) to 1 device (converged) only. A lot of wireless voice only users would love to ditch their basic PIM function PDA and basic voice function cell phone for a reliable basic function phone centric combo device.

-THP
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic

couldn't the 600 be this entry level phone? if the 650/ace sells for $400 with contract, how much will the 600 cost with contract?

speaking of the 90, I saw 3 in the past 3 weeks.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Without wireless data?!? Are you on crack cocaine?
    whats wrong with crack cocaine?
    I don't see how a Treo without wireless data would be an advantage. If it's a cell phone, then by definition it's a wireless data device -- at least with CDMA models -- since the "modem" is in the network, not the phone; so there would be no reduction in hardware cost. Of course, P1 could downplay its data capabilties, just as they downplay the current Treos' laptop tethering or MP3 capabilities. Given the lack of production overhead, it's better to have data connectivity and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    Data connectivity is probably built-in the chip that handles the call phone functions. given the size if the chip, I doubt that they would save anything by removing features. Screen res, tactile screen, keyboard and actual size of the device + low volume makes it expensive.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast