Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Data capability is probably integral to almost all of the CDMA chipsets available today. Sprint only sales one phone that is not data capable and that is a Motorola phone, probably using their own chipset.

You can only make a phone/pda combo so cheap. What is the cheapest color Palm based PDA available, $150? Add in a CDMA radio, better battery/power management, and a little more processing power for this added functionality, and you are probably looking at least $250. This would all be a minimal profit margin.

Most of Sprints phones cost at least $150 before discounts and these are just phones. If Palm offers another $400 upgrade for current owners, I may get a 650. Right now the 600 plays my MP3's and other apps just fine. I will need to see the screen, BT features, and SDIO capabilities before I decide.

The 600 is still a good phone and will likely remain the entry level Treo since it is still a capable device. it is basically a Zire 32 with phone and better battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols
    ....Most of Sprints phones cost at least $150 before discounts and these are just phones...
    Prices must be better in your neck of the woods, because out here at Best Buy or the Sprint stores, it seems that $150 AFTER discounts are the cost of a decent Sprint Vision phone (with color screen). Add in all the PDA finery, and I can't see a starting sub $350 price point for even a basic Treo phone. Here's to hoping....
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I don't see PalmOne introducing entry level Treo model any time soon, at least certainly not while the demand is great for a high-end model that Palm can't supply enough. The ASP for Treo 600 for PalmOne is estimated to be 420-460, and the gross margin on Treo 600 about 40-45%. So, the cost of producing a Treo 600 is about 250 to 300 bucks, so it makes no sense for them to turn Treo 600 into an entry model at 200 to 300 price point at this time. For now, the focus will be probably on getting more carrier wins around the world with Treo 600/650. The time for PalmOne to really expand Treo line to lower end/consumer market IMO will be when 3G and wireless internet becomes more mainstream (i.e. widely available and inexpensive). By then, we probably can buy something better than Treo 600 at 200-300 price...
    I would love to hear from spacehog or WeeBit about any of this as it appears that they are the only ones that ACTUALLY have prior information
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    that would be weebit you mean.
    spacehog has not proven prior knowledge.
    you can doubt if you want, I never attacked spacehog in the other thread and what he stated is true. You can continue to doubt if you want, but I don't

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

I believe that the 600 minus the camera will be the entry level phone, the current 600, with camera, the middle of the line, and the new "Ace" top of the line.
    Just my 2 cents!
    Jim@treo1.com
    <a href="http://treo1.com">
    treo1.com
    One Stop, plain and simple
    <a href="http://treo1.com/index650.htm"> Visit our new Treo650 optimized site!!</a>
    <a href="http://palmoscentral.com"> Visit our new website palmOSCentral.com!</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    okay the only thing hindering my decision on the future purchase of this product is where or not the GSM version will have EDGE or not
    I find it extremely hard to believe that we would hear that the 650 has a 320x320 screen and not get a leak about it having EDGE.

Ergo: The 650 does not have EDGE.
    and spacehog indicated in another thread that it doesn't have EDGE, he said to look to the 6th gen treo for that...come on SE P1000, do something for me!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12