Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know its been covered before... but right now... I'm paying a fortune for Goodlink and hosted exchange..

I'd love to scrap that if I could.

Are there any great free IMAP systems?

What is the best IMAP (Free or $$$)

Can anything sync all the folders and subfolders in Outlook 2003?

Thanks!

-Mike
    Checkout the newest Chatter beta (various threads). Marc saying he'll have attachment support soon!! Wahoo! It's probably one of the best and most inexpensive solutions for true IMAP push on the Treo! Also, Snappermail 2 also has IMAP support, but no push like Chatter...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    A lot of the Chatterers use fastmail, which has a free imap-enabled e-mail service.
    I'd go for one of fastmail's paid (but cheap) services. If you don't need a lot of storage, they have a one-time $15 package. Best would be "full" service at $20/yr.

Marc
  5.    #5  
    thanks all!

MARC.. does chatter work with EXCHANGE.... or only IMAP?

I already have and love EXCHANGE
    Just wanted to chime in and say that fastmail.fm has really great email service. I have a "Full" account, and really find it the best on the web. I'm excited about using chatter once I get my own Treo 600.
    Ok, maybe I feel stupid asking this ... but what is Exchange?
    Quote Originally Posted by Llynx
    Ok, maybe I feel stupid asking this ... but what is Exchange?
    Exchange is Microsoft's groupware / messaging package. Despised by free software types, loved by executives

WeeBit - Exchange supports IMAP and the IDLE command. If you have another means of syncing contacts and calendar, your hosted Exchange solution should be able to fit the bill without Goodlink. I have Exchange 2003 w/ Outlook 2003 and email usually lands on my phone before it shows up in my Outlook. Combine Chatter with IMAP over SSL and you've got a pretty sweet solution.

I don't understand the fastmail folks - are you forwarding other emails to Fastmail so they can be pushed to your treos? How do you ever your various inboxes in sync? (I'm guessing you don't)
    Quote Originally Posted by icedivr
    I don't understand the fastmail folks - are you forwarding other emails to Fastmail so they can be pushed to your treos? How do you ever your various inboxes in sync? (I'm guessing you don't)
    This is why I use Fusemail-- $20 for the year, combines my 4 addresses, gives me 350meg of space, no bandwidth limitations, and hosts my domain for email
    Does Fusemail support the IDLE thing?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by neill
    This is why I use Fusemail-- $20 for the year, combines my 4 addresses, gives me 350meg of space, no bandwidth limitations, and hosts my domain for email
    Hi Everyone,

We wanted an imap solution for the Treo with functional push (Idle command). I have tested them all the packages the support IMAP. The only one I found that fully supports IMAP is chatter. Prior to the beta release of snapper mail I wrote to them specifically asking them if it would support the idle command and the answer was NO, with no immediate intent to develop it.

I downloaded and tested chatter and was very happy with it, I only found two faults with it. First was we didn’t want the messenger part and second it suffers from a massive battery drain problem.

By the very nature of the IMAP / Idle system there is nothing you can do about the battery drain, its not bad programming on chatters side, when you have an open socket being constantly connected to the internet it will draw power and that’s the way it is. FYI without chatter running we get 3-5 days out of a battery with chatter running .8 – 1 day. All our techs have car chargers so there is a work around.

I wrote to marc explaining we have forty active treo’s and asked him if he would be prepared to modify the software for us to disable the messenger and have IMAP only. As we were purchasing forty copies he was happy to produce a special corporate version for us. Another great thing about the corporate version he did for us was the usename and password to log onto his system was hard coded nothing to administer and the techs could have there own sync id on the phones.

I have tested the new IMAP only version and so far it works well, we are considering upgrading but it will require registering the sync ids of all the phones, this could be an issue as we have a high staff turnover.

I don’t want to sound like I am blowing wind up Marc’s behind, but chatter / chatteremail version is the only IMAP client that I have found that supports the idle command. Marc has been nothing but helpful with us and always returns emails, chatter / chatteremail has been developed by a treo user for the treo user. It is the only way to go.

As far as servers go, I tested with fastmail and they are very good, once we decided to go ahead and purchase chatter we installed our own Linux (could not find a windows server that supports idle command) server so we can control everything ourselves. The imap server came free with the version of Linux we used, our only costs was the machine $800AUD and about 6 hours labor for my geek nephew to set it up as I know stuff all about linux.

The term “imap support” is thrown around with a lot of packages, but the idle command is only one part of the imap protocol. I believe it to be the most important part but people can still say they support the imap protocol without supporting the idle command. So be very careful and make sure you test drive before you buy.

So remember NO IDLE NO IMAP hope this helps.
    Welcome to Palmone, tomorrows bugs today!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by neill
    same here. love it!
    oh no!!! new picture...the old one was so cool.. the new one is nice too though
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    I thought no one had noticed
    (his name is Linus)
    does he have a blanket?
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Hi,

I was thinking about switching over to chatter from snappermail because of the push. My email is POP3 so I went and signed up for FastMail to collect mail from my POP and use that with chatter -- but when I went to set-up the POP link from Fastmail, I noticed that it will only look for messages from my POP every hour. That seems to leave me with the same problem as if I use snapper and poll my pop3 -- I'll still only get mail every hour then, not in real time like a bb??

Is there another IMAP I should use instead, or is this just as good as I can get if my work email is pop based??

Thanks!
    Fastmail does have a time limit on how often you can poll the pop server. On the other hand, I just have my other email account forwarding to the fastmail, and in that case you can get constant immediate updates.
    Thanks -- I just realized that...geez I wasn't thinking....
    Ok, next stupid IMAP/fastmail question -- I signed up and have a limit in space. Any way to have it auto delete the messages on the server once it pushes them to my treo (since I'm only using fastmail to be able to use chatter on the treo, not for anything else)? Does that make sense?

Thanks!!!
    It makes sense but if you deleted them then it would also delete them on the treo since this is an IMAP email server. Someone else correct me if I am wrong.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast