Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Exactly, dimented. That is how POP3 email works: your client downloads the message and it is (typically) deleted from the server. With IMAP, only the headers are downloaded. If it is deleted from the server, it is gone.
    Now, I have fastmail and Chatter email...is there a way to set up the "sent items" "trash" and "drafts" folders

these are the directions from Fastmail

"Server: mail.messagingengine.com
    Port: 143 (or SSL IMAP port 993)
    Username: your FastMail.FM username/login name/email address (must include @fastmail.fm part)
    Password: your FastMail.FM password
    Root folder/path: inbox
    Folder separator: . (fullstop)
    Outgoing mail server and port

...SMTP...

Username: your FastMail.FM username/login name/email address (must include @fastmail.fm part)
    Password: your FastMail.FM password
    If your IMAP client supports it, you should try and set up the following folders

Trash
    Sent Items
    Drafts "

and I tried to get the chatteremail to sync with the other folders besides inbox. I keep getting "badfolder"

anybody have advice or suggestions how I need to edit those other folders?

I tried these directions from fastmail, but it no worky
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neill
    This is why I use Fusemail-- $20 for the year, combines my 4 addresses, gives me 350meg of space, no bandwidth limitations, and hosts my domain for email
    So does Fusemail actually host the MX record for your domain? I can't find anything on their web siet that clearly states that they do this. If they can't that means I have to pay my current email hosting company and then pay Fusemail also just to get the IMAP IDLE support.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    So does Fusemail actually host the MX record for your domain?
    Yep, it does! From the Domain Names configuration page in my Fusemail account:

With your domain name you have two options on how it is handled within FuseMail.

1.) You can have FuseMail host your DNS for your domain name. We offer a DNS management interface for you to setup all of your DNS records

You should setup the DNS servers on your domain name with the registrar that you purchased the domain name. Please set them to

NS.FUSEMAIL.NET
    NS2.FUSEMAIL.NET

2.) You can host your DNS elsewhere. If you have a webhosting company or other provider hosting your DNS you should use this option. First you must add the domain name. Finally, you must contact your DNS administrator to set your MX record to:

MX.FUSEMAIL.NET
    By the way, I've been very happy with Fusemail so far, but I've been having some problems receiving new mail automatically in Chatter when "Sync Messages" is set to on. According to the developer (Marc), this is related to Fusemail not supporting the UIDNEXT command. With the latest beta, I've been receiving messages occasionally with Sync Messages on, but when I leave it off, I get the nearly instant delivery that I expect from push mail!
    I've been trying chatter out with my MDaemon server on win 2003. The previous versions of chatter would cause the server to hang after a few hours of connection. I've not experienced any of this on the server today with v1b9. It works with both IMAP SSL and SMTP SSL. ANd MDaemon allows you to allow the IDLE command.

The only odd thing I'm noticing is that when I send email it goes through fastmail.fm and not the server in my settings
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davesf
    By the way, I've been very happy with Fusemail so far, but I've been having some problems receiving new mail automatically in Chatter when "Sync Messages" is set to on. According to the developer (Marc), this is related to Fusemail not supporting the UIDNEXT command. With the latest beta, I've been receiving messages occasionally with Sync Messages on, but when I leave it off, I get the nearly instant delivery that I expect from push mail!
    Have you asked Fusemail about this? If so, what was their response?
    @ TxDot

did you and Marc ever get that Trash items thing figured out for ChatterEmail? You posted that over at MTDN

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    @ TxDot

did you and Marc ever get that Trash items thing figured out for ChatterEmail? You posted that over at MTDN
    No. Most of the problems I have had have been attributed by Marc to a lack of the IDLE command at everyone.net. I've not been running Chatter until I get a provider that supports the IDLE command or everyone.net supports. I have contacted them and they are "looking" into it. I would go ahead and switch to Fusemail except for davsf's last comment. I'm not going to switch to a provider that simply has different problem.

Will fastmail.fm host my MX record?
    I am totally new to IMAP..what is MX? fastmail does have a forum that someone may be address that issue more fully

I'm trying out Fusemail based on recommendations here. However, it seems to be very slow in capturing my Yahoo e-mail account. When I check, the last Fuse was like 2 hours ago, sometimes more, sometimes less. On the forums it says they know about the problem and are working on it.

For your FuseMail users, is this a common problem? How long has it been going on? If it continues like that I'll have to give something else a try, maybe FastMail, as I don't want to wait 2 hrs for e-mail that people sent me.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    I am totally new to IMAP..what is MX? fastmail does have a forum that someone may be address that issue more fully
    Mail Exchange record. It's the equivelant of having a DNS entry that points www.whatever.com to IP address n.n.n.n.
    i think that it has to be @whatever.fastmail.com

13. HDG
    Have you considered MailWave for access to your POP3 email. MailWave allows push email on POP3.

www.MailWave.com
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk700
    I'm trying out Fusemail based on recommendations here. However, it seems to be very slow in capturing my Yahoo e-mail account. When I check, the last Fuse was like 2 hours ago, sometimes more, sometimes less. On the forums it says they know about the problem and are working on it.

For your FuseMail users, is this a common problem? How long has it been going on? If it continues like that I'll have to give something else a try, maybe FastMail, as I don't want to wait 2 hrs for e-mail that people sent me.

Thanks
    I've been using Fusemail for several months now with great success. The more you use it, the faster the polling interval for you POP mail. After a few days it seems to pick it up every few minutes if you are checking that often. I have to say that in testing Chatteremail I'm experiencing the same problem mentioned above when sync folders is enabled. It does not seem to be consistent, however, so I'm not 100% certain it's the same problem. In the mean time, I continue to use SnapperMail for attachment support and have no problems picking up messages from Fusemail. YMMV
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HDG
    Have you considered MailWave for access to your POP3 email. MailWave allows push email on POP3.

www.MailWave.com
    Looks like a good product but I don't want to pay $120 a year just to get email pushed to me.
  16. DSG
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    Looks like a good product but I don't want to pay $120 a year just to get email pushed to me.
    It is a little more then just getting mail pushed to you for $10 / month

MailWave uses less data and airtime to accomplish the job.

Works with most if not all IMAP4 servers out on the market.

Allows use of the MailWave SMTP servers so user doesn’t need to expose their own.

MailWave works with companies to setup secure VPN tunnels so nothing needs to be exposed on the firewall.

Users can put in their own onsite MailWave server at anytime.

Constant refinement and new features for the users directed by the users.
    Hi fellow Treo users,

I've set up an IMAP account on my server exclusively for use with my Treo and only very urgent and emergency emails will be sent to it. This means I will only be accessing this account via my Treo using Chatter and therefore eliminates any external access to this account via other email clients (webmail or outlook, etc.).

Does this mean that no data is sent when there is no mail to send from the IMAP server unlike POP accounts that need to be polled in timed intervals?

Does this also mean that Chatter, using push technology, in idle mode, only listens/waits to what the IMAP server sends to it?

Thanks in advance.
    bingo. It will be only in communication with the account that you set it to

Quote Originally Posted by Peintre
    Does this mean that no data is sent when there is no mail to send from the IMAP server unlike POP accounts that need to be polled in timed intervals?

Does this also mean that Chatter, using push technology, in idle mode, only listens/waits to what the IMAP server sends to it?
    Hi Peintre,
    The short answer is Yes, IMAP push is similar to instant messenger programs.
    Once a connection is established both ends sit idle until one needs to talk to the other.

However the client program has to maintain the connection to the server in order for push to work, this isn’t done on a timed basis, it can simply tell if the connection is broken and reconnects. There is an obvious data cost for the reconnection and the frequency of these reconnections depends on the quality of your gprs or cdma data system and signal.

We have several copies of chatter; it’s a modified version of imchatter that has the instant messaging part removed and not chateremail. I also have one test copy of chatteremail.

When I run the test I also run a program called TrafficStat that monitors all gprs traffic in and out of the phone. I set up chatteremail with a unused email account and sat it on the desk with my test phone account and left it go. There was no other gprs traffic and it averaged about 3KB an hour and a little more for the modified version of imchatter and a lot more for standard imchatter. The mail program that comes with the phone polling every five minutes under the same conditions was about twelve to twenty KB and hour.

I love chatteremail I just wish it didn’t suck the life out of my battery.
    Hope this helps.
    Welcome to Palmone, tomorrows bugs today!!!
    While I am testing out ChatterEmail, I have just deleted the IM server info from my account info and the IM portion is disabled, which is nice cause I REALLY like Causerie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast