Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 273233343536373839404142 LastLast
    BargainPDA still has the images:

-- http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2199
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    My earlier post warned of this. Palm often forces the retration of images of upcomming models, as do most manufactures. If these images were indeed authentic (I believe they were) they were probally part of an NDF. Weebit could be in quite a bit of trouble as could the company he works for. We should all thank him and pray that he is not in too much trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackFan
    I agree. Sure doesn't make you want to do business with a company that acts this way. But I guess they know best how to attract customers. Seems to me like rumors floating around and even intentional slips of information would be good for a product. Builds up anticipation. Heck just from the few photos posted, folks here were ready to sell their first-born just to get a real look at the Ace. But like I said, I guess P1 knows best.
    Besides the "PalmOne knows how to attract customers" arguement, I'm sure PalmOne realizes a large drop off in sales of it's existing products when information of the newer, better ones coming out. It makes sense that fewer people would want to buy a Treo 600 at the price now, if they can wait a month (or so) and get an even better product at the same price (or the same product at a cheaper price).

Otherwise I'm sure it would be like the Blair Witch where anyway you can drum up anticipation and buzz is a good thing. It's just a different industry.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToonFan
    Obviously.

P1 did not want any information on the new unannounced product released. They obviously made threats to WBO and this web site to stop disclosing proprietary information. It was expected because it's happened before.

With the type of appreciation you show, I'm sure WBO, and others like WBO will be dying to put forth an effort to provide whatever information they possibly can.
    testy are we?
    give it a a rest.
    Soooo,
    When will it be released? and what carrier will have it?

Does anyone know???????
    Also, the pictures are likely to have been of a prototype and not exactly the production model. So palmOne doesn't want this probably inferior unit to be the image people have of its new product. For example, while the keyboard looked impressive, I am sure the production model will have the numeric keys painted a different color or otherwise made to look different from the rest of the keys.

Of course, this is in addition to not wanting to let the cat out of the bag in an untimely and a not-so-fashionable manner.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Besides the "PalmOne knows how to attract customers" arguement, I'm sure PalmOne realizes a large drop off in sales of it's existing products when information of the newer, better ones coming out. It makes sense that fewer people would want to buy a Treo 600 at the price now, if they can wait a month (or so) and get an even better product at the same price (or the same product at a cheaper price).

Otherwise I'm sure it would be like the Blair Witch where anyway you can drum up anticipation and buzz is a good thing. It's just a different industry.
    I don't think this is completely true. I went to my local Sprint store yesterday and the 2 guys in front of me, one who had just purchased a Verizon 600 and was standing there playing with it as his friend was purchasing the Sprint 600 along with ever accessory made!

While it's true fanatics like us who peruse this board on a daily basis will hold out for the next model, 1000's have no idea or don't care. Besides we already have a 600.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    I don't think this is completely true. I went to my local Sprint store yesterday and the 2 guys in front of me, one who had just purchased a Verizon 600 and was standing there playing with it as his friend was purchasing the Sprint 600 along with ever accessory made!

While it's true fanatics like us who peruse this board on a daily basis will hold out for the next model, 1000's have no idea or don't care. Besides we already have a 600.
    That's a decent perspective, but I don't fully buy it. I'm sure there are exceptions, but how many people buy a $600 (before discounts) smartphone without being at least enough of a geek to check when the next version is slated to come out? There's been plenty of other places that have announced the new Treo besides this board where someone doing just beginning research would figure it out. And I'm not saying that sales would drop off completely, just that they'd realize a drop. To some people gotta have it now is more important. This one guy (I'm going to assume the Verizon guy had his phone already and didn't get at the Sprint store ), could just have some extra cash and wants a new toy and his friend probably praised the Treo. Those type of sales will always exist. You can go back to the Palm III days and you'll see that sales go drastically down when a new device is announced.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    That's a decent perspective, but I don't fully buy it. I'm sure there are exceptions, but how many people buy a $600 (before discounts) smartphone without being at least enough of a geek to check when the next version is slated to come out? There's been plenty of other places that have announced the new Treo besides this board where someone doing just beginning research would figure it out. And I'm not saying that sales would drop off completely, just that they'd realize a drop. To some people gotta have it now is more important. This one guy (I'm going to assume the Verizon guy had his phone already and didn't get at the Sprint store ), could just have some extra cash and wants a new toy and his friend probably praised the Treo. Those type of sales will always exist. You can go back to the Palm III days and you'll see that sales go drastically down when a new device is announced.
    On the whole I agree with you.

However, I have three of my networking buddies that saw I had the old 300, asked me what it was and went out and bought them.

When I had the 600, they all went out and got those as well.

The last words I would use to describe them is "technologically literate." Thier use of the computer is basically MS Office and email ... they can get email on thier treo's, so they are happy and look so tech savvy ...

Now, where's my commission on those six units???
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd414
    On the whole I agree with you.

However, I have three of my networking buddies that saw I had the old 300, asked me what it was and went out and bought them.

When I had the 600, they all went out and got those as well.

The last words I would use to describe them is "technologically literate." Thier use of the computer is basically MS Office and email ... they can get email on thier treo's, so they are happy and look so tech savvy ...

Now, where's my commission on those six units???
    The difference is that is post launch of a product. Of course after the launch of the product PalmOne would want you to buy the newest lastest and greatest. It's just that up until that launch they wouldn't want anyone to know that it's coming up and hence not buy a device that's going to be obsolete (and by obsolete, I mean really incredible, but just the latest).

I just think it's not too hard to understand Palm's motivation for keeping everything under wraps until the last possible moment. Sure there will always be leaks, but as long as the leaks come later rather than sooner, it maximizes the amount of people buying Treo 600s. I wonder how many people would have bought the Verizon Treo 600 if they knew about the pictures and specs of the Treo Ace that we have now.
    I have posted something similar to this before in another thread but I will post it again...

I am sure the lack of info from PalmOne has little to do with them not wanting to tell customers...and a LOT more to do with them not wanting their competition to know exactly what they are doing. This space is getting highly competitive...did you see that Nokia has just announced they are coming out with a "Treo 600 Killer" (www.brighthand.com)?

In my business we have competitors that pre-announce products long before they are launched. It's great for us. We have time to make product changes to better compete and fully train our sales team on how to sell against it. And all this before they even launch their product!

C'mon people. It's completely understandable that PalmOne doesn't want to release information until "they" are ready to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    testy are we?
    give it a a rest.
    Muppet.
    Volvo-driving, Sushi-eating, Latte-sipping Liberals Against Stereotypes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToonFan
    Muppet.
    I'm sorry, are you playing or being mean? I don't know how to respond!
    toonfan, this link's for you :

http://quizilla.com/users/atotalblamblam/quizzes/Which%20Sesame%20Street%20Muppet's%20Dark%20Secret%20Are%20You%3F/
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    So did wee-etc or TreoCentral remove the links?
    I just noticed that the posts with the now-missing images do not have a "Last editted..." line thus I believe that answers the question.
    Newer Ace/650 pics and specs from the Muffin Man in this thread...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...948#post401948
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Guess who's back
    back again
    jakeE's back
    got the bends.

Well I left cuz I was bored
    Or was it that I was laughed off the board?
    Tee-six-double oh was weak,
    And I got caught in Hawking's beak.

but now I'm back
    still trying to be
    the new Sergio Vallenti!

Word to the Phantom V.

Funny!!! No offense intended to JakeE
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    I think it is great that the pics got leaked here by WBO.
    But too bad you can't bust somebody's chops on this oh so POLITICALLY CORRECT board. If you want to give somebody a hard time around here, kidding or not, all of a sudden the world is endingand all heck is breaking loose.
    You post something just trying to give somebody a hard time in a joking manner and all the little PC'ers come out of the closet.
    I'm suprised that in place where everyone is, or should be, entitled to an opinion that
    people are jumped on for their differing beliefs.
    And I wonder why someone calls someone else an "*****" in one thread and it is "closed"..and someone calls someone else a muppet and that thread stays open??
    Did I miss the official PC name list?
    Heck, you can call ME any name you want. Not going to ruin my day. This isn't curing cancer here, it's a freaking discussion board! About a phone no less! Perspective people!
    BTW. Have a nice day!
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by jposin
    SD card slot looks recessed--no more filing down the card to prevent 'premature ejection'.
    Can anyone confirm this? I still don't understand why they just didn't rip off Motorlla's solution to the SD card ejection problem and installed a rubber closing flap to lock our very valuable, 1 GB SD cards firmly in place.
    Off to iPhone land...
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    Please tell me there is gonna be a friggin flash on the cam!!!
    here here!
    Off to iPhone land...