Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 20252627282930313233343540 ... LastLast
    Is release date still Oct. 2004? Considering it is beginning of September ... can I preorder anywhere? Any idea on the cost? Finally ... how much can I sell my Treo 600 for on E-bay?
    Quote Originally Posted by LD555
    Is release date still Oct. 2004? Considering it is beginning of September ... can I preorder anywhere? Any idea on the cost? Finally ... how much can I sell my Treo 600 for on E-bay?

The Treo 650 date coincides with the release of the JakeE Jeans Catalog.

Early 2005.
    even if the 650 does not have wi fi, i still think the treo 650 will be a sucess---of course i would love for the 650 to have a wi fi abiltiy and a bigger screen. but compared to the rest of the market and the other dream machines, i think the Palm is still better, and that is the reason so many carriers use the existing palm
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    Palm is not like Symbian, You can move all your purchased s/w to a new handheld as long as you make the new handheld have the same hotsync ID as the old one; hence my T600's ID is m550 for my Tungsten T so that all the licenses moved over
    So is it safe to assume that the apps I purchased would still be compatible with the ACE? Maybe an upgrade would do it... Maybe there'd be no need for it... Maybe... Hmm...
    Palm 5.x apps should work fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Palm 5.x apps should work fine.
    Agreed. And there's no reason to believe otherwise.
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    Damn! For the first time in almost a year, I don't logon for two days and all hell breaks lose.

The new Treo is looking good, but I can't say I am not a wee bit dissapointed. Everything that has been added (of what we jknow so far), are things that really should have been there in the Treo 600 to begin with. But now with all the new phones out there, eg. Sony-Erricson P900 etc., I was hoping the new Treo would add some new technologies, something to distinguish itself from the rest. WiFi, Edge & GPS could have been a start.

As for what is really going to be as per the pics, I agree that the number keys should have been a different color and this is a step back. Also, why do they have two buttons each for the 'Alt key' and the 'shift key' is beyond my comprehension. What a waste of two buttons, which could have been utilized for something else. As for the power button on top, that too should have stayed and the 'phone hang up' (extreme right) button could have also been used for something else while not in the phone program.

PS: Who else agrees that the current antenna in the Treo600 is better than this new one?
    Last edited by Sanjay; 08/29/2004 at 06:49 PM.
    the wow factor is not there.

lack of wi-fi is inexcusable.
    not using BT 1.2 would be inexcusable (still need to verify).
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC
    The manual says 'If the battery drains to the point where your Treo doesn’t turn on, the Treo stores your data safely for about three days'. I've always been reassured by this, and, presuming it's true, data loss shouldn't be a major worry unless you're more than three days from a charger. But yes, I do backup daily and synchronise frequently, just in case!
    Well, you would think so, but just try to do a battery-disconnet reset and see how much of your data is preserved! Also, I've had many instances where a falty minisync cable caused inadvertant battery disconenct causing all my data to erase. The Treo 600's internal battary may have enough charge to preserve data over long periods of non-use, but if you completely remove the power supply, there is no way to save the data on the volitile ram...

gfunk, do you know how the nand chip backup thing on the UX machines works? I mean, when is the data written to the backup store and does the software scan for modified files or dump all the data in RAM to backup periodically?
    I don't own a UX but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $Power$ $Save$ $feature$ $on$ $the$ $UX$ $series$ $that$ $copies$ $data$ $from$ $volitile$ $DRAM$ $to$ $the$ $Nand$ $chip$ $is$ not automatic as you would expect it to be. It is a feature that you use if you know your handheld will be off for long time and you would like to save battery power. The Power Save backs up the contents of RAM up to non-volatile memory and then completely shuts the handheld down...everything is turned off like alarms etc. In this state, the handheld uses no power at all and the battery level will essentially be unchanged even if the handheld is off for days or weeks. Shutting down takes about 15 seconds and starting up takes about 25 seconds. Hopefully on the Treo Ace, this Power Save funtionality will be automatic when the battery drains dangerously low or when you want to swap batteries...

Finally, one important point that apparently no here has yet mentioned is the limitations PalmOS puts on the type of file types that can be stored on ram. For example, most multimedia file types like mp3 and mpg cannot be stored on ram. The Clie UX series way of handling ram allow the use of the internal media (via Nand chip) to store these types of file types on ram. The advantage is that it is much faster than external media and would be a boon to things like mp3 ringers etc imo... Anyway like I said before, this is all rumor at this point and it is not even known for sure whether PalmOne will use a Nand chip least of all whether there will be any extra file store. At this point, we can only hope b/c this would a killer funtionality in the Ace if true imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio
    So is it safe to assume that the apps I purchased would still be compatible with the ACE? Maybe an upgrade would do it... Maybe there'd be no need for it... Maybe... Hmm...

Almost all OS 5.x apps should be compatible with exceptions to those that only support low rez screens. However in most cases, there should be high rez versions available...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions

Almost all OS 5.x apps should be compatible with exceptions to those that only support low rez screens. However in most cases, there should be high rez versions available...
    I own a Sony Clie in addition to my Treo 300, and the way it works with that is that there is an option in the preferences called hi-res assist. This allow low-res applications to work. In most cases, though, there shouldn't be any problem.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    Sanjay wrote:
    Who else agrees that the current antenna in the Treo600 is better than this new one?

Better, but not by much. At least the 300/270 models' antennas were fairly discreet. The 600/650's chunky antennas are ugly as hell.
    LD555 wrote:

Most rumors that mention specific dates fall between October 6-20 and are allegedly based on inside sources; other rumors only mention months. $599 is the price most often bandied about. I don't do eBay, so my uneducated guess is $250.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70
    Sanjay wrote:
    Who else agrees that the current antenna in the Treo600 is better than this new one?

Better, but not by much. At least the 300/270 models' antennas were fairly discreet. The 600/650's chunky antennas are ugly as hell.
    The 270/300 models did not receive GPS signals for e911 either.
    I'm like Sanjay-- I worked all week, and talked to my friends about the "rumoured" Treo Ace (Even though that PDF has been seen about 100 times at work) and then come back and see that you guys all have the goods before we "company folk" do! (As usual... I trust the TC forums more then the higher-ups here anyway... ) Looks like I got some saving to do! Can't wait for the official annoucement and the TreoWatch treads of the wait to get the first one!

I hope they improve the speakerphone and ringer part of it. I also have a Sanyo RL-2500 from SprintPCS that I use, and if the Treo Ace will be a readylink phone as well, I'd expect it to have the loud speaker and ringers like my sanyo does too. I can never hear my treo ringing when its in my pocket...
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    is it out yet? ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    is it out yet? ^_^
    Wahili,

That is really cool graphic you created!!!

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70
    Sanjay wrote:

Yeah, the 600's antenna became part of the case. It looked cool for an antenna. This new one looks like such an ugly after-thought. Plus; the use of such a heavy color(black) that is not found anywhere else in the design of the phone just draws too much attention to it.
    Its fascinating that the mock up that was leaked a while ago got so much right yet got the numeric keypad colouring wrong -- the mock-up assumed the same style as the 600 with blue numeric keys. That is one of the more obvious differences with the actual photos just leaked.
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    I also like:
    1. Menu button next to the d-pad instead of at the bottom
    2. Separate headset jack on the back (I assume that is for the headset)

What's the button next to the camera lens?

The button next to the camera lens may be the same idea from ericsson mobile phones and therefore not a button at all. On the T6XX series phones from Sony-Ericsson there is a chrome disc at the back close to the lens. This disc is to help one take self portraits by simply looking at the reflection of themselves on the chrome portion. The camera lens is calibrated to cover the same area as the reflection. To snap a picture the button (it they follow the same logic as S E) press the smaller button located on the left side of the 650.

As for the hole at the rear below the antenna. It is not a headset jack but part of the antenna fixture. In the Treo 600 this is plugged with a rubber piece. i hope they do the same for the 650