Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728293031323338 ... LastLast
    JakeE!

Yes!

Suddenly the whole 650 thing has become much more exciting!
    Quote Originally Posted by mwylde
    How can you possibly hope that?!?!?
    Well, Sprint did say that they wanted to jump right to EV-DV, but Qualcomm postponned release of those equipments until later so in order to keep up with the other CDMA provs (especially Verizon) they are going to do both DO and DV later
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Is anyone else concerned about the removable battery? I mean when you take it out your unit will reset it's self. so every time you change the battery you'll have to run BackupMan or some similar program. That said, i'm still really happy to see this 'Ace' will see the light of day!! i'll just have to tack on $100 for the wifi card! hehe

btw the PUC is being phased out bc of the growth of Bluetooth. just look at the GPS system and the new kwyboards comming out! trust me you'll see more and more bluetooth as the months go bye...

on that note, does anyone want to buy a T600 gsm off of me? I have to raise money for the Ace :-D

Timmay
    I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    I'm assuming that with the 32+32MB of RAM that a battery replacement will only do a soft-reset, which is no biggie. That may also explain why there is no reset hole on the back (either that or it's under the battery pack).

-Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio
    Also, with all the money I've spent on it for the said softwares, I can't imagine doing it all over again until at least a year or two have passed.

Palm is not like Symbian, You can move all your purchased s/w to a new handheld as long as you make the new handheld have the same hotsync ID as the old one; hence my T600's ID is m550 for my Tungsten T so that all the licenses moved over
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    Is anyone else concerned about the removable battery? I mean when you take it out your unit will reset it's self. so every time you change the battery you'll have to run BackupMan or some similar program.

why in world would it reset itself??your settings and whatnot would be on your memory not your battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    Is anyone else concerned about the removable battery? I mean when you take it out your unit will reset it's self. so every time you change the battery you'll have to run BackupMan or some similar program...
    Not if rumors are true that PalmOne is using the M-system NAND chip on the Ace. The automatic file store would prevent exactly this...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Guess who's back
    back again
    jakeE's back
    got the bends.

Well I left cuz I was bored
    Or was it that I was laughed off the board?
    Tee-six-double oh was weak,
    And I got caught in Hawking's beak.

but now I'm back
    still trying to be
    the new Sergio Vallenti!

Word to the Phantom V.
    I was just wondering what the 98 yard line was.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    hahahaha, okay, in American football there are 100 yards between goals. To score, a team must get the ball into the goal. The analogy made was that a team fell on the 98 yard line meaning they only needed just a little bit more to make a goal.

more likely, they got so close that they could smell the paint on the goal line but didn't score. Ala "so close, yet so far"
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

In the rear picture of the treo we are assuming that the part below the line is the battery right? The part below the "release button." If this is the case and the lower portion is the battery and it comes out then what becomes of your ESN Hex, dex, and SN? if u lose or replace that battery do u have to get the #'s electronically from the treo software? Also I am assuming the taped portion of the pic is to cover up the device # so PalmOne cannot identify it.

So does this pose a problem to the external battery theory or construction? Could that part be a face plate that comes off and then the battery is removed from within the device? I don't know I just assumed the entire lower portion was the battery. Hopefully the ESN #'s are inside the unit under the battery, but then why would webit's source cover it up??? Or could there just be other critical info that was covered up.

Food for thought
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    I was just wondering what the 98 yard line was.
    What I meant by using the 98 yard line football metaphor is that the Handspring team fought hard to run and pass the ball down the field so that they could score a touchdown with the Treo 600, but instead of going into the end-zone they just stopped on the 98 yard line.

In particular I am referring to the lack of a 320x320 screen and Bluetooth on the Treo 600. In retrospect they took the safe way and saved money by putting in the offset 160x160. Instead if they had metaphorically bet the farm and custom fabricated a 320x320 and added BT the Treo 600 would have been much more appealing to the market, and the Treo Ace would have a half VGA 480x320 screen or better.

I can't tell you how may people I know who passed on purchasing on the Treo 600 because of the low res screen and the lack of a removeable battery.

The players at Handspring were more interested in protecting their 401Ks than they were in being entrepreneurs. What they referred to as Tradeoff's I refer to as compromises. In a certain sense, this made the Treo 600 like a Ferrari with bicycle tires.
    Last edited by JakeE; 08/28/2004 at 06:40 PM.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    I had no idea that the new Treos would use new memory. in the current and past treos if you pulled the power you would lose all your apps and data (similar to a hard reset.) This is one of the bigest selling point when you compair PPC and Palm, the ppc does not reset it's self. Good to know that the P1 is changing this! Maybe the new T|4 will have this too.

Did I just read that the Treo would have 32mb + 32mb of new memory (two or three post up)? or am I seeing thinks again?
    I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeE
    What I meant by using the 98 yard line football metaphor is that the Handspring team fought hard to run and pass the ball down the field so that they could score a touchdown with the Treo 600, but instead of going into the end-zone they just stopped on the 98 yard line.
    Just a heads up, Jake. I think he knew what you meant, but he was actually joking about the fact that there is no "98 yard line". It starts from the goal line, 1-yard line, and up to the 50-yard line. Then back down to the 1-yard line and the goal. The numbers don't go higher than 50.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    If you ever had an old AAA battery powered Palm (the original Palm Pilots) you would realize that you could pull out the old failing batteries and have about a minute to install new ones before you would lose anything stored on the Palm. The old units had a small capacitor to hold the charge.

I'm assuming that any new Treo with a replaceable battery would use the same trick, as it is cheap and works well.
    There is alot of misinformation in this thread regarding taking out a battery. Most of you, apparently, have never owned a Palm Pilot of Palm III.

All PDA's use volatile ram for their storage, which means that when power is longer supplied to it it loses all that's stored in the memory. This is true of PPC's as well. PDA's manage to keep the stored data when you turn them off by continuing to give the ram enough power to keep the data. In the older palms that were powered by tripple a batteries you had about a minute to replace the batteries before all of your data was lost. This is 1991. There is no reason the same technology could not be used for the 650.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    There is alot of misinformation in this thread regarding taking out a battery. Most of you, apparently, have never owned a Palm Pilot of Palm III.

Whew! I thought it was just me. Even VisorCentral veteran should remember removable batteries from the days of the Visor Deluxe.
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Just a heads up, Jake. I think he knew what you meant, but he was actually joking about the fact that there is no "98 yard line". It starts from the goal line, 1-yard line, and up to the 50-yard line. Then back down to the 1-yard line and the goal. The numbers don't go higher than 50.
    Thanks heberman

I stand corrected. I meant to say they ran it down 98 yards to the 2 yard line and stopped.

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Quote Originally Posted by DHAnderson
    If you ever had an old AAA battery powered Palm (the original Palm Pilots) you would realize that you could pull out the old failing batteries and have about a minute to install new ones before you would lose anything stored on the Palm. The old units had a small capacitor to hold the charge.

I'm assuming that any new Treo with a replaceable battery would use the same trick, as it is cheap and works well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwylde

All PDA's use volatile ram for their storage, which means that when power is longer supplied to it it loses all that's stored in the memory. This is true of PPC's as well. PDA's manage to keep the stored data when you turn them off by continuing to give the ram enough power to keep the data. In the older palms that were powered by tripple a batteries you had about a minute to replace the batteries before all of your data was lost. This is 1991. There is no reason the same technology could not be used for the 650.
    Sorry guys, but I highly doubt palmone would the same type of method used in the ancient Palm III for a uber expensive Treo Ace! Can you imagine all the executive types fumbling around for their extra battery only to find that they didn't install it time and now all their data went poof? Um...no that would be a completely stupid way to design things imo. It may have worked for the old Palm III, but it would be a very bad move for a smartphone...

Anyway, I posted this explanation in another thread already, but since the topic has come up here, I'll repost in this thread as well:

"There are several rumors that PalmOne is a M-System's based Nand chip in the Ace. It was also mentioned in the Treocentral rumor article that was pulled last month that the Ace might have an automatic Ram backup feature. Miradu initially mentioned it in the article and subsequently edited it out b/c it was unverifiable. The other rumor is that P1 may be stuck in a long term contract with its memory supplier, forcing it to use these 32 MB chips, and not a higher capacity 64 MB chip. Anyway, if the automatic backup feature is true, the ACE would actually have a 64 MB Nand chip of which 32 MB would be used for ram and 32 MB for file store. Recall the Sony UX series (and the rumored Samsung SGH-i550) also has a similar ram architecture. The ram is automatically be backed up to the file store in case of power loss, thus preventing the loss of data which is very bad for a smartphone. This would also make sense if the Ace had replaceable batteries. IMO if true, this would be a very smart and necessary feature for the Treo. Not having to rely on Backupman for fear of power loss is a big problem with the current Treo 600 imo..."

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    My point was that alot of people have been saying in this thread that having a removable battery would cause you to lose all of your data everytime you changed them, and this is simply not true, for if in 1991 Palm had a way of circumventing this then they surely have a way, and probably a better way now.

Also, I remember in this very forum during the lead up to the release of the 600, this was one of the most requested features (after a high res screen and BT) and now people ar complaining about it.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage