Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast
    It's probably already after sun down in NY by now (still plently light here in CA)
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    That's your perogative, but I just can't see it happening...with the logic that EV-DO is in 2 cities, then it should be likely that WCDMA 1900 would be included since that is in 4 cities. I mean...when we are talking about a few cities and at least 6 months or more for a REAL nationwide roll out and people to start actually using the stuff...I mean, i think that P1 is gonna wait for next year to add those technologies

My sourpuss side aside, I WOULD LOVE to see all of the above included, but I just don't see it happening
    I don't know EDGE's coverage, but is it more than 2 cities? And EV-DO is in LV so that's San Deigo, LV, and Wash, DC. If NYC is set up to be the fourth as guessed, that's a lot of consumers. Of course they had to make the decision on phone radios a long time ago. Who knows what they decided? What makes you think that EDGE is more likely than EV-DO.

To the best of my knowledge there are 0 cities in the US (Palm's home country that use WCDMA 1900), but I don't follow these things too well. I can't think of what other carriers in the US use CDMA besides Sprint (going to EV-DO) and Verizon (using EV-DO partially).
    Did anybody take a close look at the connector in that picture? It looks kind of like the Palm Universal Connector but not exactly. I've heard it mentioned here that the PUC is going away? Why? Is this the replacement?

I wonder if the thing off to the side is a seperate power connector. Personally, I'd like to see a barrel connector for power like the Nokia phones.
    the ACE is sounding (and looking) sweet! i'm on my Treo now, so I can't read the whole thread. I hope there is talk about camera quality an how good the hi res looks
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    ohhh mann.

Now I have to sell my Treo 600, cradle, and the Sena case.
    I have this feeling that the new hi-res screen will not be as bright and white as the Treo600. Screen backlighting seems to be the same as Tungsten-W or T-3 type. Take a close look at the pics and you will see what I mean. Maybe this is designed to improve battery life on hi-res devices.

Hope I'm wrong coz I kinda like the bright screen on my Treo600.
    question folks -

was there a specific reason why the antenna couldn't be removed - from a technical standpoint?

again 2 major factors for me
    *form factor
    *stock battery life

This is one sexy phone~~~~~~~~~~

.:Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around:.
    Quote Originally Posted by dolo
    question folks -

was there a specific reason why the antenna couldn't be removed - from a technical standpoint?

again 2 major factors for me
    *form factor
    *stock battery life

This is one sexy phone~~~~~~~~~~

CDMA carriers have traditionally required external antenna's. I'm not sure what the specific technical reasons are behind it but given that requirement then PalmOne has made a conscience decision and a fiscal decision not to have two different form factors. But if you look at every Sprint phone - it's got an antenna and I believe the same is true for Verizon.

If you removed the antenna from the GSM unit then there is also a possibility of having to rework the insides to where the form factor would be larger still and not as good as reception potential.

PalmOne inherited the form factor for the Treo 600 and just kept it going to satisfy all carriers regardless of GSM/CDMA. Why build two units that would increase your molding costs if your "forced" to have an external antenna for another?
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    mooseman -

makes sense. never thought about all the cdma providers having antenna'd devices.

was wondering as i see more and more phones built with an internal antenna.

many thanks for the explanation - sounds perfectly clear and reasonable to me

WE STAY ENCOURAGED FOR THE 650!!!!

.:Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around:.
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE
    But if you look at every Sprint phone - it's got an antenna and I believe the same is true for Verizon.
    There is at least one Sprint phone I know of with an internal antenna - the Sony/Ericsson T608. So it's technically possible for a CDMA phone to have an internal antenna...but the signal did seem to suffer with my experience with that phone. Besides, without an antenna, how would we grab our Treo's out of the holster?
    There is at least one Sprint phone I know of with an internal antenna - the Sony/Ericsson T608.

Are you sure about? I thought the Sprint version of the T608 never saw the light of day.
    I think that Sprint used to sell the T608
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    they never sold the t608 in any store, you had to get it by calling telesales. I have one and it is the worst phone ever made (or at least that I have owned).
    Finally????

This is what the Treo 600 should have been.

Thanks for the pics WeeBitObsessed.

U da Man.

The buttons on the side are definately push to talk.

The future is going to be awfully interesting!!!!

Cheers,

Jake
    Last edited by JakeE; 08/28/2004 at 04:25 AM.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if the Treo 650 will be a tri-mode phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeE
    Finally????

You DO realize, right?, that this exact same sentiment has been made about the TREO 180...:

== Finally - this is what cellphones/PDAs should have been!

...TREO 300,...

== Finally, this is what the TREO 180 should have been!

...and TREO 600?

== Finally, this is what the TREO270/300 should have been!

In fact, "someone" wrote right here in these discussion forums that Hawkins himself is purported to have said about the TREO 270 vis-a-vis the 600:

== We had to do that one. THIS is the real thing!

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...&postcount=171

What goes around, comes around.

Now then, w.r.t. to the TREO 750:

Finally, this will be what the TREO 650 should have been!
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 08/28/2004 at 06:17 AM. Reason: typo and to correct "what Hawkins purportedly said"
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeE
    Finally????

Thanks for the pics WeeBitObsessed.

U da Man.

The buttons on the side are definately push to talk.

The future is going to be awfully interesting!!!!

Cheers,

Jake

Wow! He lives.

Where have you been?
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    You DO realize, right?, that this exact same sentiment has been made about the TREO 180...:

This is just the nature of computers. Idon't think that this is the fault f HS or P1 but is areflection on how fast things change. When I first got my T600 a mere months ago it was the best thing I haveever had. It was a vast improvement over the K7135 and the Samsung i600. One was a huge and unstable while the other was difficult to use with bad standard battery life. What could be beter then the elegant T600? Nothing.

That was then and this is now. P1 has done an incremental upgrade to the T600 and now the T650 willbe the leader of the pack. Tegood news is that P1 appears to have listenedto us and is delivering most of what we want, Hi-Res screen, Bluetooth, and an even more refined keyboard and interface. I will go out on a limb that in short order we will here of the P700 that will add WiFi as well as other improvements.

The good news is that HS was innovative but had little funds and P1 at one time was not so innovative but is innovating again. They aso have money again. This continued innovation is keeps markets growing and smartphone will be the next high growth secture. Eventially all phone will be smartphones, there will just be diffrent levels. If you don't believe me take a closer look at Motorola. They already are planning low, mid, and high smartphone products.
    Wow! I was thinking of getting a Treo 600, but this settles it. I hope the ACE comes out within the next couple of months. Many are saying October 2004. I hope they can stock them in the stores fast enough...
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Hahahaha!

A flash would not be kind to battery life. One picture and you may be stranded without phone service.

The better optics and camera software will take away some of the flash depedency. I say this not knowing anything about the technology actually being used though. But we do know at this point that it WILL be a better camera to some degree.
    True, it will be a better camera, but a flash would have been so useful for illuminating inside shots. Although I use Brightcam, a flash is -- a flash.

Now about a October drop date, that will be a nice time for a early Nov. birthday present to myself. -lol

Question, since I have a replacement unit, how do I tell when this phone's warranty expires (if it is different from the original warranty date)? I checked under Phone Infor. but did not see it.

Thanks,

M.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre