Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Palm might want to pull in the older (buggier according to some) hardware, update those units and sell them as refurbs ... especially if they cut the price on the 600's. It is cheaper to sell a refurb than to manufacture a new one.

We are the early adopters of new technology, PalmOne needs us to buy this hardware and start to help refine any design issues! (said in a hopeful tone of voice)
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    So how did I get to be gay? I'm just a designer who is aware of functional aesthetics. I'm saying the screening on those buttons is not right and I stand by my statement/opinion. I'm not going to make an issue out of it though it will probably change!

At least I hope it will change; not only did they take away the dark blue background to set off the numbers, they shrunk the numbers down in size?? How are you supposed to find them.
    Yeah Archie, I wasn't sure how you became 'gay' either, and you're certainly entitled to your opinion. I don't know how much time left they have for changes, but of course we don't have a firm release date either. Overall I'm pleased with the info out so far, but I can certainly understand where you're coming from as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by srparr
    Palm might want to pull in the older (buggier according to some) hardware, update those units and sell them as refurbs ... especially if they cut the price on the 600's. It is cheaper to sell a refurb than to manufacture a new one.

We are the early adopters of new technology, PalmOne needs us to buy this hardware and start to help refine any design issues! (said in a hopeful tone of voice)
    I'd like to point out that Handspring didn't have a trade-in program before. It was a loyalty program where you got to keep your old Treo. If Palm does a trade-in progarm it would have to be quite significant (like 80% off the cost of a new Treo 650), because I could get a pretty penny for my Treo 600 on eBay (seems like around $400 currently). I think you'll quicker see a loyalty program like Handspring did. You have to remember that many of the Handspring people are still at Palm. And I'd dispute that the Treo 600 needed to have a loyalty program to help get the word out. The word was out before it was released when all the tech mags gave word that it was the best -- many before the loyalty program was announced.
    I agree that not colour coding the Number keys like the Treo 600 is a mistake. I always use them for dialling numbers that are not stored in Contacts. Also makes it much easier for the wife when she wants to make a call on my phone ;-)

But I like the new placement of Home & Menu keys makes them much easier to use 1-handed.

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    You know... looking at these images in Photoshop the letters differ in size by as much as 3 or 4 pixels. This is huge in comparison to the relative size of the overall image. For example, look at the F and the G sitting right next to each other. Doesn't that look unprofessional or unpolished?

And look at the screening of the Calendar(icon) button in comparison to the Phone(icons) buttons. They actually changed and flipped the phone icon to match the skew of the buttons. Why would you not make the calendar/clock icon match the skew of the button? Just change the orientation like they did with the phone icons and then it could be proportionate in size to all the others.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/at...achmentid=3612

Unpolished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribalenvy
    Same here, but cautiously psyched. I fear what that would do to the vision pricing structure. Now if you tell me my free vision price is grandfathered in...I'm out there dancing in the streets!
    What she said.

Still waiting ...
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    weebit,

truly many thanks on stepping it up!!

thanks for passing this info along...as i just read all the pages - seems like you had the TC crew on the backburner with that first pic!

should be a great device - imo > mpx.

My main inquiries at this point are:
    * Form Factor (relative to current 600)
    * Batt life (it seems bat is replaceable...wonder if that means weak...)

Regards and thanks again wee!
    dolo
    .:Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around:.
    Oh, yea,

Thanks WeeBit!!!
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I'd like to point out that Handspring didn't have a trade-in program before. It was a loyalty program where you got to keep your old Treo. If Palm does a trade-in progarm it would have to be quite significant (like 80% off the cost of a new Treo 650), because I could get a pretty penny for my Treo 600 on eBay (seems like around $400 currently). I think you'll quicker see a loyalty program like Handspring did. You have to remember that many of the Handspring people are still at Palm. And I'd dispute that the Treo 600 needed to have a loyalty program to help get the word out. The word was out before it was released when all the tech mags gave word that it was the best -- many before the loyalty program was announced.
    80% off would be good ...

I agree, a loyalty program is more likely. Obviously have to wait a bit on the details. My point is that they need to do something to get the "gadget geeks" (like me) to upgrade again within the year, unless the pool of early adopters is large enough for the convergent device market that they can afford to have some of us wait for the Ace++ that might be 10-12 months down the road!
    WeeBit, you're OFFICIALLY "THE MAN"!
    You know... looking at these images in Photoshop the letters differ in size by as much as 3 or 4 pixels. This is huge in comparison to the relative size of the overall image. For example, look at the F and the G sitting right next to each other. Doesn't that look unprofessional or unpolished?

Unpolished!
    The F looks like the only letter that's a slightly smaller size. It's also the only letter with a raised dot on it. I'd bet they are related in some way. Like if the F was full size it would run over the raised dot and get distorted.

I don't know you mean by skew. everything looks normal to me.
    Does anyone else think that the large bump above the speaker is a buttom for removing the front cover?

Do you think the 650 will have removable covers and removable battery?

Must say getting jealous, you can apprieciate the hi-res even on the main screen. Will be nice to run all those hi-res Palm apps.

And what about the port on the back below the antenna is that the same as Treo 600, never taken the rubber plug out of my Treo 600.

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    For example, look at the F and the G sitting right next to each other. Doesn't that look unprofessional or unpolished?

Unpolished!
    I think the F is smaller because that key has the bump on it so you can feel where it is and type without looking.

The rest of the letters all look the same size.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by theFourth
    I wonder how this is gonna affect sales of the 600 now that we have "proof" that its replacement is almost out the door?
    look for the price of the 600 to go down. maybe $200 with contract?

Imagine it at $100 with a two year contract?

just speculating.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    The F button has the bump so you can feel the center of the key pad. Once your thumb is on the F, dialing is a breeze without even looking. I'm sure Treo 600 users know this first hand.
    Why couldn't they do something with the antenna? That's my ONLY grip so far.
    Gripe
    My 300 is sooooooo ready for retirement...
    Thanks Wee-Bit for the pics.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    [QUOTE=bmacfarland]I'd like to point out that Handspring didn't have a trade-in program before. QUOTE]

Ed Colligan, if I remember correctly was a big champion of upgrade offers when he was at palm the first.

Isn't he a big wig now at palm one?

I hope there is a loyalty program, $400 would be fine. But I got a feeling i would pay the $600 if I needed.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.