1.    #1  
    I've read that you can get reception in NYC subways with Verizon. What about Sprint, T-mobile or Cingular? How does Verizon do it? Did they put mini towers in all the tunnels?
    Not Sprint or T-Mobile. As far as I know, Verizon's the only one that works down there.
    And it's not exactly a level playing field. Verizon is the local telephone system in New York (the inheritors of the lines after the Ma Bell split up) and are the only company who had access to the tunnels.
    I've never seen anyone get any reception in the subway. Sometimes the platforms.
  4.    #4  
    Is that so? Louis, I assume you have a Verizon phone? I have not been in NYC subways for 15 years. I am researching this for a friend who may be visiting NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisW
    I've never seen anyone get any reception in the subway. Sometimes the platforms.
    It's not like the DC metro.

No phone company gets reliable cell phone service in the subways. Verizon has by far the strongest signal in NY (I've had this confirmed many times) and thus will occasionally get a workable signal on certain station of the subway, but I never really took advantage of this because the signal was invariably lost before I could do much with it.

I've had verizon in NY for about 5 years now.
    At the Fulton station in Manhattan, on the 4/5 uptown platform somewhere about roughly the middle you can get reception on Sprint's network. As aristarchus writes, though, that's the only kind of thing going on down there. It might happen more with Verizon, but no carrier actually provides service in the subway.
    What's the problem? While your call might get cut off two minutes after you enter the subway, you most likely will have already been mugged and relieved of your Treo anyway....
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    The best you are going to get is what someone else mentioned, service in the stations. Once the tran leaves the tunnel you loose whatever signal you had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    What's the problem? While your call might get cut off two minutes after you enter the subway, you most likely will have already been mugged and relieved of your Treo anyway....
    Feh -- New York muggers already have cellphones. They will take your cigarettes, though, as those things are more valuable than gold here.
    it depends on the station and your location in it, but I get a signal once in awhile with T-mo. enuf to check me mail and send/get sms.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    FWIW, yesterday I was coming back from the gym on the upper west side at 80th street. While on the plaform waiting for the 1/9 train I had one bar. So, I tried calling wifey to let her know to have food (and beer) ready ;-). As soon as I attempted the call the signal disappeared.

Interestingly enough, after I got on the train at the next stop (72nd Street) my voicemail indicator goes off (while I'm sitting in the car). People around me are stunned. Unfortunately, I couldn't check the vmail. Train pulled out and back into the tunnel.

Moral of the story: Call from surface for food and beer!

Tangential moral of the story: Service is spotty and unreliable in NYC Subway system.

P.S. - I have VZ service.
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    Tangential moral of the story: Service is spotty and unreliable in NYC Subway system.
    P.S. - I have VZ service.
    Well that's good to know. (NYC Sprint customer.)
    Quote Originally Posted by snerdy
    At the Fulton station in Manhattan, on the 4/5 uptown platform somewhere about roughly the middle you can get reception on Sprint's network. As aristarchus writes, though, that's the only kind of thing going on down there. It might happen more with Verizon, but no carrier actually provides service in the subway.
    OK, now that's weird. That's where I get stand for the very reason that I get reception on my Verizon Treo. I'll have to look for any Sprint Treo users when I get on the train at Fulton after work.

Too funny.

As for the OP, no, there is no cellular service in the NYC subway system, only the rare place where some signal is able to penetrate from above.